Easiest route to Camel's Hump

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Knot

Reaction score
I know it's a while out, but my family is planning a hike to Camel's Hump in August. We take an annual vacation to Stowe, and it's a pretty easy drive to get there. We're all pretty basic hikers at this stage, so I'm looking for the easiest path to get to the summit. Any suggestions on how best to get there on a day hike?

Burrows Trail from Huntington Center is the easiest (4.8 mile RT x ~2,300' climb). Next easiest is Monroe Trail from Duxbury (~ 6.5 mile RT x 2500' climb). That one is a closer and easier drive from Stowe, though. Also, a really nice loop is possible using the Alpine Trail on the way up, approaching the summit on the Long Trail from the south, continuing down to the north and using the Monroe trail all the way down. Distance is about the same as just using the Monroe up and back, and the approach to the summit is scrambly and very scenic. Check out the giant B-24 wing just off the trail, from a WWII-era crash.

The best route from that side of the mountain is the Monroe trail. The Alpine trail near the cone - there's a scramble below the summit that requires a bit of skill. Personally, unless you and your family are good at bouldering, I'd take it another time.

Finding the trailhead can be a challenge. From Stowe, drive south on 100 to Waterbury. Make a left at the tee, and after crossing under the railroad underpass, watch for a road on the right - it's before the light. Turn right on this road which will cross the Winooski River before the stop sign. Make another right, and Camel Hump Rd is about 4 miles north on the left. The road will gain elevation for about 3 miles, and then make a sharp right. This road - not maintained in winter - is usually good enough for a sedan, but not very wide.

There are two parking lots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I know that railroad bridge well - we typically make a stop at Green Mountain Coffee and Vermont Liberty Tea Company during our vacation. I'm assuming the road we'll end up on parallels Rt. 2, just on the other side of the river.

Driver8 - we're in Stowe the second week of August every year for their antique car show. My guess is we'll be doing our ascent sometime mid week. If things time out that you are considering tackling it then, you're welcome to join us!

Cute Jake. An LT thru hike would be a long term goal of mine. But with a full time job and four kids to put through school, getting the time off to complete it is a while off :p

Good advice from the folks who offered help. Kevin and Mirabela know what they are talking about and part of the 99.9% of the people who post here who try to help each other out.
And again, welcome to VFTT.

Alan

Finding the trailhead can be a challenge. From Stowe, drive south on 100 to Waterbury. Make a left at the tee, and after crossing under the railroad underpass, watch for a road on the right - it's before the light. Turn right on this road which will cross the Winooski River before the stop sign. Make another right, and Camel Hump Rd is about 4 miles north on the left. The road will gain elevation for about 3 miles, and then make a sharp right. This road - not maintained in winter - is usually good enough for a sedan, but not very wide.

There are signs for the trails posted at the junction of River Road and Camels Hump Road, and also (I think) at the right turn on Camels Hump Road. Enjoy!