Wildcats in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKYSUMMIT

Reaction score
Well after 30 plus years of hiking these mountains, and reading Alan's Catskill 67 book, I finally made it to this remote and unspoiled area. The Wildcats. Peakbagr, RobS, a group from Long Island and I met at the Slide Mountain parking area only to find a not so easy stream crossing. The pounding rain from the night before turned the usual rock hop into a swimming situation. Better to take a long drive to the bridge in Claryville and start from the Denning side instead. Took the trail, passed the split for Table and Peekamoose, and after about a mile and a half we started the bushwack up E.Wildcat. The going was not too tough at all with minimal blowdown (surprising) and bare ground. Snowshoes stayed in the car, microspikes stayed in our packs. Although we did not come across any open ledges we did have views looking back as we climbed higher. Real nice angle of view through the leafless trees looking towards Slide, and Lone and Table with snow in the shady slopes. We took a lunch break at the top, snapped some photos while some snow flurries blew around in the wind. We finally got moving again and RobS and I parted ways with the group as they had to head back while we headed for W.Wildcat. With most of the elevation already gained it was a very nice hike the rest of the way with some ups and downs, a patch of snow here and there, and plenty of solitude. You can tell this area sees few visitors as there really aren't any herd paths. If you do come across any they are littered with deer pellets. The highlight of the day is the oddly placed, dark hemlock grove that just suddenly appears. Beautiful dark woods before climbing a small bump and then the final climb up W.Wildcat. After a break at the top we retraced our steps back to the hemlock grove and then down steeply off the ridge for the first few hundred feet and back towards the trail. All in all a great day of around eight miles (I think?) and 2,000 feet of climbing. Another great hike with Peakbagr and also with some really nice L.I. folks who I hope to get out with again. Some pics from the day https://picasaweb.google.com/111456...authkey=Gv1sRgCM2k2eb4lpKYmQE&feat=directlink

Thanks for writing this Tony!

It was really nice hiking with you and Alan again. Hope we can do it again soon.

Awesome photos!

Here are a few of mine .....

Hi Ralph,

Surprisingly, the route was free from any signs of man, .... no herdpaths, no cuttings, and no flagging, save one small piece of pink ribbon on a tree on the West Wildcat summit bump which Tony promptly removed. It felt very wild in there, ..... just the way it should be!

Looking forward to getting out with you again soon, .... it's been way too long. I've been wanting to climb Woodhull and/or Van Wyck. Let me know if you'd like to plan something for one or both of those, .... or something else is fine too.

- Rob

Hi Rob,
I like climbing Woodhull and Van Wyck from the Bear Hole bk..We can check out the 2 plane wrecks and the bear holes.I am not sure if Tony has done Woodhull.This weekend looks like good weather.Maybe Alan and Tony would like to go also.Let me know.It's a longer route but very interesting.The land in that area use to belong to the Stickles family that settled the land in 1780 .
Ralph

Last edited:
Moonray, Dick and I harvested a couple of gallons of orange flagging on the Wildcats a couple of years ago and asked DEC to check it out. They've walked the entire ridge and noted a fantastice amount of illegal cutting. If the people who did the cutting ever get apprehended, they should have a lot of money for the fine or will spend some time in a cell.
Doesn't look they've been active since then and likely got the message.

Went with a group up Ticeteneyck mt today. An '11' on the 1-10 scale.
Photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741837.100000196052414&type=1&l=0a286443f7

We actually saw one cutting, directly in the center of the ridge, before the hemlock forest. But it looked old, at least several years or more, kinda hard to tell. And it was in the middle of "no where". When I say "no where", we were basically taking the path of least resistance, no herd paths whatsoever, just trying to avoid beech whips, and just stumbled upon a small cutting, maybe 2 or 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Didn't see any others though.

Hi Rob,
I like climbing Woodhull and Van Wyck from the Bear Hole bk..We can check out the 2 plane wrecks and the bear holes.I am not sure if Tony has done Woodhull.This weekend looks like good weather.Maybe Alan and Tony would like to go also.Let me know.It's a longer route but very interesting.The land in that area use to belong to the Stickles family that settled the land in 1780 .
Ralph

I'll email Tony & Alan and see if they are available. I can do this Saturday, but not Sunday. Next weekend is even better, but yeah, ..... the weather this Saturday is looking GREAT!

Sounds great! Saturday works better, but Sunday might be doable if that works better for you and Tony. Alan mentioned that he cannot make it, but we'll see.