When the roads will be open for...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Anyone know when the roads will be open for: Magalloway, Sugarloaf (Not the one near Twin Mountain), Success and Route 113 in Maine for Royce West?
Thank you. :)

Here are my guesses

Not sure on Magalloway. Nash Stream Road (Sugarloaf) possibly 5/24 (US memorial day), Success late May early June (varies by year) RT 113 will sometimes be open at either end but not in the middle by 6/1. Keep an eye out for posts by Lefty, he usually posts when the Success Pond road gate in Berlin is open.

Rt 113 is indeed open and in good shape. I drove up from the north yesterday.

If I need Maine road conditions, I check with Paradox! :D

I thought the default was they open the roads in late August and close them in early September, more or less! :D

I'm also looking for a status update on Nash Stream rd and access to Sugarloaf / Percy Peaks. It doesn't appear on the FS website. Any beta would be appreciated.

Nash Stream traditionally opens only on Memorial Day weekend...but I will try to check for further info this week, maybe it will open early due to conditions...you also can access the Percy Peaks region by going to Christine Lake in Stark and hiking the Old Summer Club trail (don't forget Victor Head!!) but it would have to be an out and back this time of year...check the Cohos site for further info..Yvon I will also check on Success Pond Rd. this week as soon as possible...

Thank you everybody.
Thank you for road 113. I am still waiting of fresh news for some of my questions.
Thanks in advance Lefty E.

5/6/13: Success Pond Rd open, care in spots with soft mud on side of road..Nash Stream not open til Memorial Day, however beta is you can park at gate and use a bike to get to trailheads if desired.....Lefty E

Please note, you can not access to the Mahoosuc trailheads from Maine Rt. 26...a washout in 2011 makes it impassible to motor vehicles...

Please note, you can not access to the Mahoosuc trailheads from Maine Rt. 26...a washout in 2011 makes it impassible to motor vehicles...

rt 26 me, take left on north pond rd. to access, success pond rd, as of last year.

Magalloway Rd is open from Rt 3, but gated at the river crossing at MM11. i.e., you can get to Magalloway Mtn from Rt 3, but not from Parmacheenee Rd in Maine. The road is in fine shape.

I drove up Success Pond Rd today from Berlin (to Notch trail @ 11mile mark) Slow going, but road in good shape. 35 minutes to go 11 miles. I have a small car with AWD. Nothing it couldn't handle. Just have to keep eyes open for big rocks sticking up now and then.

I drove up Success Pond Rd today from Berlin (to Notch trail @ 11mile mark) Slow going, but road in good shape. 35 minutes to go 11 miles. I have a small car with AWD. Nothing it couldn't handle. Just have to keep eyes open for big rocks sticking up now and then.

So from what you saw today, I should not have problems to drive, slowly, with my Corolla 2003 to the Success Trail Trailhead? Lefty E told me about the same thing the other day.
Thank you very much Michelle for the information. :)

Magalloway Rd is open from Rt 3, but gated at the river crossing at MM11. i.e., you can get to Magalloway Mtn from Rt 3, but not from Parmacheenee Rd in Maine. The road is in fine shape.

Thank you for the information.
I have to look on a map, I dont know the road you talking. And I dont know were is that gate. I will come from Twin Mountain and I want to do Sugarloaf & Magalloway on my way home to Montreal.

See the Google map I did:
http://goo.gl/maps/07H0e

[/So from what you saw today, I should not have problems to drive, slowly, with my Corolla 2003 to the Success Trail Trailhead?QUOTE]

You will have no problem. I think the toughest part of the whole road, is turning onto it! Careful as there is a big dip/bump right as you turn onto the road.
Have fun!