Old Speck via Speck Pond, Mahoosuc, Spur, and Old Speck Trails - 5/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 6, 2013

Trail Conditions: We had a Plan B, but since Success Pond Rd was open we decided to stick with Plan A: Old Speck via the pond. We started on the Speck Pond Trail which, naturally, didn't look like anyone had been on it since 2012. It took a little longer than normal because blazes are nearly non-existent most of the way up, but we were able to accurately re-find the trail. It started dry (though we took the bushwhack around the first two crossings as the water was moving well), then got muddy, then offered up minor ice floes and snow. The snow got deep and was largely unsupportive. Tons and tons of winter moose and rabbit sign -- it was Kibbles and Bits the whole way up -- but we spotted none (we heard one snort off the trail on the way down and another crashing in the woods on the road walk back). The Mahoosuc Trail was the same way, albeit slightly firmer, but the snow on the north-facing half mile to the shelter was very deep. It's like a bowl up there (lack of sun on that slope, plus the wind eddy caused by the west winds over the ridge). The ice cover on the pond was nearly complete, still. Headed back up toward the summit via the south-facing part of the trail there are initially steep ice floes changing over to dry rock and some softer snow. The Spur to the summit was a well-packed out monorail with the clearing mostly snow-free. (Gray Jays were happy to see us -- our third encounter in the last three hikes.) Old Speck Trail, on which we descended, started off like the Spur, then turned into minor ice floes, rock, mud, running water, and dry soil. A mixed bag, for sure, but, barring the Spur, it was the easiest trail of the hike. Crossings were all easy.

Important: It is not currently possible to do this route with a car spot unless you want to drive all the way around. Success Pond Rd is open, but cannot be fully traversed due to a culvert being put in (or whatever is going on). We walked back the 8 or so miles so we crossed this barrier via stream rock hops. What a great walk it was. Long yes, but it is so wild and remote feeling, and nice. We stopped to drink at the Mountain Fountain and, of course, replaced the dipper.

Special Equipment Used: Snowshoes will be extremely helpful on large parts of this hike. Spikes, too. And on one small part crampons would have been nice. Trekking poles were helpful for probing and balance. Safety glasses might also be useful for the bushwhack, and due to the in-your-face canopy in the still-deep snow sections at the higher elevations, but the latter wasn't as significant a problem as I've been seeing.

Comments: Hiked this one with my friend Theresa and we saw no one all day. Even on the road walk back we saw only two vehicles headed east on 26. It was like Maine up there, lol. We had an incredible adventure. I had hiked this whole range on a backpack when I was a kid, but didn't remember it. Now having visited this area again, I know I want to go back. The beauty and wildness of it all is virtually unrivaled by anything in the Whites. Simply breathtaking.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: