Cheap Sleeps in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
I usually go up to the Whites for the weekend so that I can hike more and spread the driving out over two days. I'm cheap, but I'm also tent-intolerant.

All of these places provide bunks and a shower for a modest price.
All supply linens except where noted. Some also include a modest breakfast though not necessarily as early as one might desire.

AMC, Shapleigh Bunkhouse at the Highland Center - Crawford Notch
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/highland/highland-shapleigh.cfm
The $25 dollars includes an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast at the Highland Center starting a 6:30AM. Microwave for heating your winter water or TV dinner

Hostelling International - Conway
http://www.conwayhostel.com/
~$25 - Nice common rooms; shared kitchen facilities.

Hiker's Paradise - Gorham
http://www.hikersparadise.com/
$15 - a little funky. Kitchen facilities. Usually some AT through-hikers you can chat with.

Cranmore Mountain Lodge Hostel - North Conway
http://www.cml1.com/?page=hostel
$25 - Microwave; Bring your own linens or sleeping bag

Can anyone add similar facilities in the area? The ADK folks might like to start a Cheap Sleeps in the Daks thread.

Last Chance Cabins

I spend the night at Last Chance Cabins I belive its on 202 ( same road from Crawford Notch). It's a little rustic for it has linoleum floor, small heater, TV with four channels. It's just a nice place to chill after after a long hike. I don't know the number to reach the place and the rates as well.

How about cheap(er) motels or B&B's? I often stay at the Schoolhouse or Swiss Chalet (pet friendly) in North Conway when I am in the area; usually about $55 - $80. Any other reccomendations for motels or B&B's?

Last edited:
boulder motor court right at the intersection to bretton woods from twin mountain is good too as there are cookin' facilities and some even have fireplaces. i think it was forty bucks though, but it was nice as they had tv and we watched some march madness b-ball games and drank wine and made gnocchi and whatnot. we were the only ones there too so it was all quiet and peaceful.

and i have to give a sho' 'nuff shout-out and some major dap to bruno's breakfast at hiker's paradise. my girlfriend chowed down on the cornbeef hash one morning and we fairly ran up and down moriah over the "ledgy but insignificant summit of mt surprise" on slick rocks in the rain. man, we was movin', let me tell you what's the truth! and she attributes it all to bruno's hash (cornbeef that is! :D ). so everytime we stay there we make damn sure to have the hash.

a li'l addendum here as my girlfriend just now informed me that the actual post-hash (again cornbeef-hash, not the other kind!! :D :cool: ) speed hike was even longer and faster over mt hight and carter dome. we was pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down on that li'l stroll too. boy howdy!! but the afore-mentioned "ledgy but insignificant summit of mt surprise" is not to be missed--hash or no hash! but do yourself a favor and just have the hash!!!

full disclosure--bruno and this bruno (me) aren't related and i receive no remuneration from him!!

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
Yeah, I figured that. He's better looking too :D :D :D :D :D

Really?! I sure as hell didn't notice, but then again I don't look at guys that way :D :D :D

I still have to give you those photos from our trip up there, Papabear. Sorry, no photos of Bruno though..... only 2 grubby backpackers from NYC peakbagging through the North country. :eek:

The Barn in Gorham

The Barn at the Libby House B&B.

Here a link to a picture on another website (not Libby Houses website).

BARN via whiteblaze.net

Although I do have to say that my favorite hostel style place is Hiker Paradise! Some bars within walking distance, good location, good powerful shower, good eats downstairs, ect.

Last edited:
What about those nasty cabins behind Lowe's store? :D Stayed there once, not sure why. It was pretty rugged but cheap.

Last edited:
I have my favorite spots, I'll have to think whether I want to post them though. ;)

I stayed at Hiker's Paradise once, thought it was worthwhile, at least until the first lumber train came through... that was 7 years ago and I haven't been back. IMHO a good night's sleep is worth the extra $$$. (Though at least Gorham does have a number of decent restaurants.)

Applebrook B&B in Jefferson isn't cheap (I think I paid $60 for a single) but it's a nice place & a good location.

I do not know right off hand you could try a google search. I recall seing a dog and at at Hikers Paradise But Who knows if they mentioned the critters while getting the room.
I travel frequently and find that I have to call about all sorts of things rom which credit card the accept , Debit cards and so on . I usually sk to speak with manegment and get a full name frist and last.

Libby House Barn

I spent Saturday night at the Libby House Barn in Gorham.

The owner, George "Doc" Regan, seemed like a friendly guy. I had the place to myself as it's kind of early both for NoBos and SoBos. Rather than bunks in bunkrooms, there a number of bed scattered around the big, open second floor of the barn. The $16 includes a shower and some kitchen facilities on the first floor.

I've forgotten the name of the place on 302/16 near Glen Intervalle Border that looks like Swiss Chalets. They offer dog & non gog rooms

Lyons Motel in Twin Mountain

I noticed their sign about cheap bunks a while ago. I'm planning to give it a try at the end of July.

In the meantime, if anyone else has tried them, let us know how it goes.