Cheap Sleeps in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I too get "tent intolerent" from time to time.

Hey Bob, I'll be up in Gorham Wed-Fri, I think. What do you mean by Hikers Paradise being "a little funky". Do you mean Funky as in James Brown funky, or funky like "the-matress-is-damp" funky?

thanks,
denton fabrics

Hikers' Paradise

Funky as in thin, ill-fitting sheets, worn linoleum, patched screens and a general level of wear and tear that many would not consider acceptible in a $60 motel room. But relatively clean. Be sure to leave your boots out on the landing or you will incur Bruno's wrath.

Bob Kittredge said:
Funky as in thin, ill-fitting sheets, worn linoleum, patched screens and a general level of wear and tear that many would not consider acceptible in a $60 motel room. But relatively clean. Be sure to leave your boots out on the landing or you will incur Bruno's wrath.
It's all true. But remember it's not a $60 motel room, it's a $17 bunk room (2004 price). With Kitchen.
ALDA On-line Companion said:
Hostel: Hikers Paradise Hostel at Colonial Comfort Inn, 370 Main St., (603) 466-2732, <www.hikerparadise.com>; owners Mary Ann and Bruno Janicki offer three hostel units, $17PP, each with bath, kitchen, phone, linen, and heat.
I first stayed there when I was doing a long AT section hike. It seemed pretty nice then. I've always been happy there. Some of my friends were not.

It could be good timing...

Bob Kittredge said:

It might be good timing on my part, but it seems like I always have a really good time at Hiker's Paradise. The beds are nothing special, the shower is powerful, the bathroom is simple, deck area good for hanging drinking a brew, and breakfast is great. Occasionally Bruno is a little yippie about some things, but over all not bad. When I'm about to go on a hike I never see the point in getting a private room if I'm just going to be sleeping in a cabin or lean-to with other people the very next night.

That Lyons Lodge thing looks nice enough. Someone should be sure to make a report on it after staying there.

Shameless Plug

Please come and give the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge a try - it's owned and operated by Dartmouth College but it is open to the public.

We are always closed for the first 2.5 weeks of September in order to accommodate Dartmouth Outing Club First Year Trips. This year we are closed for the entire month of September for that and some facilities work we need to do :( but then we'll be open until October 22.

We love dogs. We only ask that they are not allowed in the dining room during mealtimes, or the trail crew will eat them.

More info here . Even if you're not staying over, stop to fill your waterbottle and say hello!

i agree with brent. hiker's paradise is my home away from home. and bruno's breakfasts can't be beat. and ol' bruno (not me! the owner bruno) is a great guy--you just have to get used to him. he's really funny actually. (and it's within staggering distance of mr. pizza).

bruno said:
pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down on that li'l stroll too. boy howdy!! but the afore-mentioned "ledgy but insignificant summit of mt surprise" is not to be missed--hash or no hash! but do yourself a favor and just have the hash!!!

full disclosure--bruno and this bruno (me) aren't related and i receive no remuneration from him!!

Hey Bruno, when you went by the "ledgy but insignficant summit of mt surprise", did you happen to notice the "tiny box canyon" right next to it? I feel insulted to even have to approach these features on the way to/from Mt Moriah!!!

Regarding Hiker's Paradise: I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Back in 2000, I met an Appalachian Trail through-hiker who was staying at Hiker's Paradise. He told me that he worked for a restaurant chain, and he didn't like the look of the kitchen at Hiker's Paradise, so he wasn't eating there. A word to the wise.

arghman, can you name me one restaurant in Gorham that's any good for supper? Welch's is the place for breakfast, but they're not open for supper, and I've had terrible luck getting decent service anywhere else in town.

Raymond said:
I met an Appalachian Trail through-hiker who was staying at Hiker's Paradise. He told me that he worked for a restaurant chain, and he didn't like the look of the kitchen at Hiker's Paradise, so he wasn't eating there. A word to the wise.
Gee, based on one person five years ago - if we extend that logic I doubt many of us would be eating out ANYWHERE. Remember this forum goes to many folks who eat meals in the woods/backcountry with questionable (if any) sanitary facilities and dishwashing facilities consisting of a scrub pad with a piece of screen over a small hole. Do we wash at 160 and rinse at 190 when at Guyot?

As far as supper in Gorham - Shaws.

Raymond said:
Regarding Hiker's Paradise: I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Back in 2000, I met an Appalachian Trail through-hiker who was staying at Hiker's Paradise. He told me that he worked for a restaurant chain, and he didn't like the look of the kitchen at Hiker's Paradise, so he wasn't eating there. A word to the wise.

arghman, can you name me one restaurant in Gorham that's any good for supper? Welch's is the place for breakfast, but they're not open for supper, and I've had terrible luck getting decent service anywhere else in town.

as the above dude pointed out, by that logic you'd never eat anywhere! i remember even locke-ober here in boston was busted for sanitation violations about a year or two ago. don't let 'em fool ya--bruno's breakfast'll get you up whatever you need to get up. go to hiker's paradise if you need some indoor sleepin'--plenty o' heat and hot water fo' sho'!

and mr pizza is a good place for supper. you can really carb up for the next day if you chow here. and lot's o' reasonably priced drinks to boot!

raymond said:
arghman, can you name me one restaurant in Gorham that's any good for supper?
Mr Pizza rules! I wouldn't call Gorham prime eating habitat by any stretch, but I'd eat there or Wilfred's anyday.

edit: aha, I finally figured out why you picked on me :D :
arghman said:
(Though at least Gorham does have a number of decent restaurants.)
I guess I am comparing Gorham to all the other towns in Coos County, where restaurants of any kind are few and far between. Berlin especially -- for its population I would expect better (both quantity & quality), the only one I'd eat at is Northland and it's ok. There are a few decent ones in the Twin mountain area and in Lancaster, one or two in Colebrook, a scattering in Pittsburg where I've had bad luck. I stay away from Errol, the "restaurant" food I've eaten there was technically edible, I suppose. this is a bit off-topic though.

Last edited:
Dinner in Gorham

I did my usual spaghetti and meatballs dinner at Mr. Pizza just this past Saturday after a long day on Madison. Stuffed myself but couldn't finish it.

Breakfast at Hikers' Paradise is OK, but not served particularly early. I prefer the big, greasy 6:30 AM breakfast buffet at Pinkham Notch and an early start on the trails.

Screw Mr. Pizza. We went in there, the waitress told us to sit anywhere, then no one ever came to take our order. We saw others walk in and be helped right away.

That's a common problem in that town. Or else they take your order, then make you wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait some more, then bring you a saucer with a spoonful of spaghetti on it (Pizza Hut, July 3, 2002).

Wilfred's sounds familiar. We did get a couple good meals there last year, which I'd forgotten about, and the waitress was helpful and friendly.

Last edited:
Gorham Motor Inn $38

I dont know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I stayed a night at the Gorham Motor Inn this week. $38/room includes a/c, cable tv, pool, fridge, microwave, comfy bed. For an extra $15-20 over that of a tent site, it's worth the extra money to me.

thanks,
denton fabrics

Lyons Motel in Twin Mountain

I tried the new bunkroom accommodations at the Lyons Motel in Twin Mountain over the weekend, and found them acceptible. Cantdog (Julie) was staying there too after her 3 Bonds in a Day death march.

They've converted a few motel units into bunkrooms for which they charge $18.50 (comes to $20 with the tax). You need to bring your sleeping bag and pillow (or pay an additional $5 for linens). There are showers and a proper kitchen that everyone can access. There's also a comfortable lounge area with a TV.

cantdog said:
Or else they take your order, then make you wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait some more,

Sounds like the AT Cafe in Millinocket 7/2/05 & 7/6/05.

Anyway, I must agree that Lyons Hospitality is a good deal. It's great to finally get that kind of lodging in that price range in that location.

I'll probably get red squared for this, but I'll say it anyway. I also like the added benefit of their single sex bunk rooms. Not that I am implying that no women snore, but I unofficially think that the arrangement reduces the chance of being stuck with that problem.

Doug the owner is a nice man.

Do they have 'co-ed' bunk rooms too ?

This would be a great place to stay for 'Flags' since we're doing N. Twin.

i'm just bein' lazy here cause i guess i could internet research it, but does anyone know of any bunkroom type deals in the immediate north conway area? thanks!

Hiker's Paradise/White Mountain Motel

Re. Hiker's Paradise - my "beef" with them is they have a two (three?) day cancellation policy - as in, if you don't cancel 2-3 days ahead, they will charge your credit card. AND they don't tell you this when you make a reservation (that's my real beef.) So be warned and plan accordingly.

I have had excellent luck with the White Mountain Motel in Lincoln. Its actually the next exit up from the "main" Lincoln exit. Spotlessly clean, very affordable- I've gotten a room for as little as $40/night, but rates vary according to the day of the week and the season, so verify. The decor is a step up from Paradise's hotel rooms - not fancy, but all a little newer. Owner is very nice, very accomodating - she has my credit card number and I'm a repeat guest at this point - but I can arrive very late at night and leave very early and its fine.

Apparently motel owners in NH have been swindled by bad credit cards and won't do this anymore - I've heard horror stories from two other motel owners. Building a relationship with the owner helps.

Last edited: