Cheap Sleeps in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, we've stayed there, too. It's okay, but I prefer the Mt. Madison across the street. It's been refurbished more recently. Can't recall if the Gorham had refrigerators; I know the Mt. Madison did.

There's a breakfast place up the road a mile or so toward Berlin, in a gas station on the left, that's open conveniently early. You can pay the bill -- but not the tip -- with your credit card, though, so bring some cash for the ladies.

Not really new info here, but I thought I would provide a recent update of the Conway Hostel, since I just stayed there with a couple of friends for the first time over Labor Day weekend. For $24 a night, this place is a great deal. Clean rooms, friendly staff, and quiet. Linens are provided so you don't need to bring a sleeping bag. There's a full kitchen downstairs and a nice little "living room" area with a TV, some video tapes, and some books. Shared bathrooms are very clean. There are two shower stalls in the men's bathroom and in the women's bathroom. It wasn't even very crowded this weekend - three of us slept in a 6-bunk room with no other people in the room.

We were also told by the staff that you could rent a family room (2 adults, up to 3 children) for $51 a night.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
BobC and I split a room at Johnson's in Twin Mountain last weekend. It was $60 for 2 people. A small comfy room, hot shower and cable TV. Friendly owner and they welcome pets ($10 extra IIRC). I really miss Lyon's, but this is a good option in the Twin Mtn area if you can find someone to share it with you.

$60 is a bit steep for those of us staying solo. Hiker's Paradise is still the best deal around. The hiker rate has gone up to $20 now, but I stayed there Monday night and had the level to myself.

Still no indoor sleeps around $20 in the Twin Mtn area, which the only other place I'd want it.

Another good place is the Cranmore Mountain Lodge. It's $30 for a bunk, but you're right in North Conway and it's a really nice place. Very B&B feeling. Great breakfast too (additional cost).

I agree, $60 is a bit steep for a solo stay - that's why rocksnrolls said it's a good option only if you're able to find someone to share it with you. I should also point out that he is rounding up a bit, and also that this is the price after tax. The actual rate was $53.95, with 8% tax it comes to $58 and some change.

Bringing this thread back to life:

We stayed at the Twin Mountain Motor Court, in a Cabin. For $60 / night, it comes with frig, microwave, coffee maker, stove top, HOT shower, toaster, and toaster oven. A little on the small side, but it heats up fast! They also give you a goody bag of free samples, like shampoo, razors, etc.

Their Google map is a tad off, it's WEST of 4 Seasons, not East.

A new option to consider for those who are in the northern presidentials or Mahoosucs,

http://whitemountainslodgeandhostel.com/

Its being advertised to AT thru hikers and is right on the AT where the AT turns onto RT 2 at Rattle River. I expect its a major step up from the Barn or Hikers Paradise. It also sits back a bit from the RR track compared to the Gorham accomodations, so the 2 AM wake up call is probably a lot less noticable.

The prices seem reasonable

Mt Coolidge Motel in Lincoln

This would fall under the category of "moderately priced" rather than cheap, but I figured this thread was the best place to put this.

I owe these folks a "thanks", and figured this was the best way to do that.

The Mt Coolidge Motel is north of Lincoln on US 3. The rooms are large, clean, not fancy, but solid. Good heat in late September, hot shower with good water pressure. My only quibble, not easily fixed, is the shower heads are low - I'm about 6' 2" and they reach my shoulders, but that isn't a big deal. My room had a small refrigerator. I didn't use it, but it was cold and clean. Rates the last week of September 2014 were about $90/night.

I owe them thanks because after spending a couple nights there last week, I checked out leaving a key ring with several keys in my room. When I got home, and realized I didn't have the key ring, I called. They checked the room and couldn't find them. I was disappointed. Fifteen minutes later, the telephone rings - the keys turned up. He could have just tossed them in an envelope and tossed the envelope in the mail, but he wrapped them in bubble wrap and used a sturdy envelope so they wouldn't tear through the envelope in transit and become lost again, and mailed it using a tracking number so if the keys didn't get to their destination, they could be tracked.

I'll be back.

TomK

The Notch Hostel

When up in the Whites, I sometimes prefer the hostel option to camping on one end of the spectrum or motels at the other end. When hiking near Gorham or Conway, I'm all set with some great hostels. However, I haven't come up with interesting hostel options in the Lincoln area --

-- until now. While hiking the Mt. Kinsman Trail yesterday, I ran into Serena Walsh. On talking, I learned that she and her husband-to-be Justin just moved up to N.Woodstock, and are in the process of opening a hostel on Rt.112, less than a mile W of the town center), called The Notch Hostel (notchhostel.com). It looks and sounds great: 15 bunks, 2 private rooms, copious indoor and outdoor common space, wifi and coffee, warm hospitality, dog friendly.

I very much enjoyed meeting Serena, and wish her and Justin the best as they get established. Check them out!

Alex