GPS track for Scar Ridge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiking Scar Ridge on June 2nd. I have one track for my GPS but typically use more than one to help with my bearings. Will also rely on my compass and the fine descriptions of prior hikes. If you are willing to send me your track, just let me know and I will give you my email.

Thing is, where you're on the herd path, GPS track is irrelevant. And once you leave the herd path, 25' left or right is all the difference in the world for conditions, an existing track you really don't want to follow that precisely, you actually *want* to find the optimal conditions and just proceed. It's really not that bad. Many tracks out there are in fact through the lousier areas and shouldn't be followed.

Plus it's a lot more fun and in the bush whacking spirit to not follow a track. :)

This is helpful. Although tempting MichaelJ I don't mirror an existing track, just use it for guidance if I get what I consider seriously off course. Last year I followed herd paths with total abandon, only to be waaaay over on the other side of the ridge - not where I wanted to be. I want to avoid the scars and stay on firm ground. Thanks for the website.

assuming you know where to pick up the herd path from north loon (just down walking boss trail on the right where a sign about out of bounds skiing gives it away) the start of the route is easy following a well defined bootleg trail. somewhere close to a mile the trail makes a hard left/north turn towards black mountain (hard to miss) and you can start your bushwack from there or backtrack a little bit and head in. instead of taking a bearing right on the summit of west scar i'd suggest aiming for the ridgeline to the southwest of the summit and once you reach that ridge turn due east to the top. i have found that keeping to the south side of the ridge on the final approach to the peak keeps you in better woods. navigating back down is trickier as the somewhat ill defined ridge that leads back down to the bootleg ski trail is easy to walk off of while descending, but that is where you could consult the gps track you made on the way up if necessary. i do have a couple saved tracks for that route if you'd like them to get an idea of the layout. drop me an email.
[email protected]

bryan

assuming you know where to pick up the herd path from north loon (just down walking boss trail on the right where a sign about out of bounds skiing gives it away) the start of the route is easy following a well defined bootleg trail. somewhere close to a mile the trail makes a hard left/north turn towards black mountain (hard to miss) and you can start your bushwack from there or backtrack a little bit and head in. instead of taking a bearing right on the summit of west scar i'd suggest aiming for the ridgeline to the southwest of the summit and once you reach that ridge turn due east to the top. i have found that keeping to the south side of the ridge on the final approach to the peak keeps you in better woods. navigating back down is trickier as the somewhat ill defined ridge that leads back down to the bootleg ski trail is easy to walk off of while descending, but that is where you could consult the gps track you made on the way up if necessary. i do have a couple saved tracks for that route if you'd like them to get an idea of the layout. drop me an email.
[email protected]

bryan
what bryan said..a couple of minor wet spots just off the ski trail but not a difficult ascent..on descent easy to get sucked off towards the kanc but trust your bearing

Thanks for everyone's help. Hot day but we got it done. I used bryan's track to make certain we didnt go too off course which worked well for the ride up. We took the scenic route (many a spruce trap) on the way down. Pepp