Hiking with Kids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
I know we are put threads up in the past but figured I'd start one for this hiking season. I'm hoping to find some people to hike with that have kids to join us. I have a 6 year old boy who would like to have other kids to hike with. We started our 4000 last year and are looking to get out there and hike some more...maybe do some overnighters. We go slow and enjoy our time in the woods. If you are interested, please let us know!

I know we are put threads up in the past but figured I'd start one for this hiking season. I'm hoping to find some people to hike with that have kids to join us. I have a 6 year old boy who would like to have other kids to hike with. We started our 4000 last year and are looking to get out there and hike some more...maybe do some overnighters. We go slow and enjoy our time in the woods. If you are interested, please let us know!

We are interested. I have a 4 year old. She may be slower than your son and she hasn't hiked up any 4K on her own yet. (We've carried her up plenty.) Last weekend she hiked Welsh/Dickey on her own. We've done lots of overnights also, and would be up for that. Keep in touch!

I have a 5 year old son but the whites are a 3 hour haul for us but points south are easily attainable.

Just let me know when you go out. If we can, we will meet up with you. I am hoping to get out this weekend...maybe do Techumseh to start with. We haven't done any big hikes this year.

I have a 5 year old son but the whites are a 3 hour haul for us but points south are easily attainable.

Lou Hale, do you ever hike in the Taconics/Berkshires? Our daughter is five and I'm always looking for other kids she can hike with. We live in the Poughkeepsie area, but do make it over to the Taconics.

Hey all,

My 5YO fairy princess and I will be taking to the trails again over the summer. Most of what we do is in the Randolph area and she's not anywhere close to ready for a 4K but can do the easier hikes of 2-3 miles. I'm done carrying her at this point! We also do hikes in the Conway/Bartlett area.

We had a nice one last year with Early Bird and family on Catamount Hill over near Concord, NH and are open to more hikes this year.

We may be heading out on the trails Saturday morning weather dependent and most likely Gorham/Randolph. If we do that, I'll post our plan if anyone wants to join us - we're always up for company!

We're at an AMC family event this weekend, but will try to keep our eye out for a hike with you later this summer.

Hi - my daughter and I are planning a hike Saturday (weather-dependent) along Bumpus Brook on the Howker Ridge Trail from Randolph East parking area in Randolph, NH. We'll hit Stairs Fall, Devil's Kitchen, Coosauk Fall, Hitchcock Fall, and a trip over to the Bear Pit, a 20 foot chasm near Hitchcock Fall. It's a 2 mile round trip with 650 feet of gain but a lot to see in the short hike.

PM me by Friday morning if interested in coming and we can discuss details. All are welcome.

Happy Spring Families,
My 5 year old daughter and I have spring fever. We are looking ahead to summer and would love to hike with old and new friends. I have two "big" trips planned so far: one for Mother's Day weekend and another for the 3rd weekend in June. Each about 10 miles over 3 days backpacking in VT. We also hope to do some White Mountain area day hikes: small hikes, 52 with a view hikes, 4K hikes. We are happy anywhere really. We live in S. NH so Pack Monadnock is a favorite also.
PM if you and your kids are up for anything this year and we'll make some plans.
:)

Last edited:
I'm up for hiking. It has been a long winter and I haven't felt comfortable doing a winter hike with just my son and I.

We have a lot we want to accomplish this year. We get out usually every weekend. Let me know when and where and we will try to join in. I have a 7 year old son. He would love company.

I'm hoping to hike once a week (monday thru thursday time frame) with my 3 1/2yr old girl, soon. we will be doing small hikes in maine and nh mainly 1k of vert/1-4 mile hikes. i'd love for her to make a hiking buddy or 2. age range 3-6 prolly best. she was doing a fair amount of small hikes last summer and fall and really loved it, esp if blueberries or blackberries were involved. :) please p.m. me if anyone is interested!

Last edited:
My kids are a little out of the range you're after -- 8 and 10 now -- but +1 for rounding up other young hikers and getting after it. Getting my kids started young & helping them to fall in love with hiking, the outdoors, and physical fitness from a very young age is hands down the best thing I've managed to do as a parent.

I'm hoping to hike once a week (monday thru thursday time frame) with my 3 1/2yr old girl, soon. we will be doing small hikes in maine and nh mainly 1k of vert/1-4 mile hikes. i'd love for her to make a hiking buddy or 2. age range 3-6 prolly best. she was doing a fair amount of small hikes last summer and fall and really loved it, esp if blueberries or blackberries were involved. :) please p.m. me if anyone is interested!

Come summer, weekdays are good for us also. Are you in Maine? We spend time in N. Conway regularly so maybe we can connect sometime while we're up that way.

Mirabella, thanks for the thumbs up/+1. Spending that 1-1 or family extended outdoor time together is definitely one of the best things I've done so far also.

coming from auburn, me. small hikes in the conway, bridgton, bethel, evans notch areas would fit the bill. let me know, tues and wed, are best. mondays and thurs possible.

Hi Early Bird! Keep us in the loop for your Vermont trips. Our summer is up in the air (new job, selling/buying/moving), but we still plan on making time for hiking/camping/backpacking. Steve was talking about going to Vermont in June anyway to help pace a runner friend on a race - will have to check which weekend.

For anybody else in New York (or western Connecticut/Massachusetts) - we are on the lookout for other families for hiking/camping trips. We typically day hike in the Hudson Highlands, Bear Mountain SP, Taconics, or Catskills; but are also up for weekend trips and especially like to make it to the Adirondacks when we can. Our daughter is six and is pretty much up for anything (as long as hiking treats are involved).

Hi
I have a boy who will be 6 in June. He has been hiking since he was 3. We generally do day hikes out of a campground but have done a few back county multinighters. We are interested in any upcoming trips!