NeverWet to arrive in stores

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Rust-Oleum is introducing a new weather-proofing product called "NeverWet."

"When water hits the coating's superhydrophobic barrier, it forms a nearly circular bead that either causes the liquid to shoot off the surface or never cling there in the first place.

Among other things, it can be used on metal, wood, masonry and aluminum as well as fabric, leather and canvas.

But the possible uses for Rust-Oleum NeverWet seem limited only by the imagination of the customer.

For instance, NeverWet officials showed a reporter this past week how it can be sprayed on the inside of a cardboard case of beer to make an impromptu ice chest."

Brian

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/...NeverWet-arrives-in-stores.html#ixzz2WezJmrJZ

Thanks for the tip!

I have an old nylon tent fly that is now a candidate for conversion to a silnylon fly. If it works out, it would be extremely useful to carry on its own. User report will follow as soon as the stuff is available locally.

I am cautiously optimistic that this could be useful for treating backpacks. Even if it doesn't fully waterproof the material, any gain is a helpful gain.

Brian

I bought a kit at Home depot yesterday. Its $20 a kit. Now I need to figure out something to spray that would be useful but not that essential in case it wears out to quick and ruins the underlying article.

I'd be very interested to know if a very lightweight nylon windshirt could be turned into a waterproof, yet still extremely breathable raincoat. And in particular whether that would hold up where a pack rubs against it continuously, and after getting soaked with sweat, dirt, body oil, etc. If it does all that, it would indeed be a miracle.:)

I bought the kit depicted here. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/neverwet/neverwet-kit/ It was $20.00.

You will note that it comes in part A and part B. They say to spray each on twice, with drying time between each spraying.

It leaves a slightly dull sheen on the object.

I sprayed my boots, dirty girl gaiters, and backpack. (yeah, dirty girls, but mine are just bowling pins, so get over it!)

I'm not really sure how much I have left in the cans.

The stuff really works like you see in the commercials, liquids of all sorts literally do not stick at all. At first...

BUT! The treatment can be scuffed off fairly easily, especially with boots. After a few hikes, the treatment was no longer effective on my boots or gaiters. My pack is still somewhat water proof.

I have not yet re-sprayed anything to see if it only needs 1, or 2, or how many coats, to become water proof again.

But I will report back eventually.

I still have the original bottles. They are not empty yet, but almost, from the sounds of things. I've used it maybe5 times. One or two hikes is all I get out of each application. I will leave it up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Like I said, it really does work as advertised, at first...

I have used it on my camera bag. I have mine mainly hanging off the top loop on my pack. It was a wet morning today. The top was fine. The sides showed a little seepage but the bottom was soaked through. I followed the instructions to a T. Abrasion is it's nemesis. Works well for what it is. I wouldn't bother spending the 16 bucks on it again. This was after about 15 hikes. 5 of 10 miles plus. The rest 6 or less. I just can't recommend it for what people here do without constant reapplication.