Hale-Zealand-Bonds Traverse - 6/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pac-man

Reaction score
Four of us (my fiance and two close friends) had planned on doing a Pemi-traverse this past weekend for a few weeks now, so the impending rain/storms in the forecast were unwelcome, but definitely were not going to stop us from at least giving it a try. We camped out in Lincoln the night before and spotted a car at Lincoln Woods. We woke up fairly early (for us) and drove up to the North Twin trailhead because I had heard good things about the FWT up to Hale and it was a 10 min closer drive than going to Zealand Rd.

On the trail at 7:30am, I walked right by the entrance to the FWT, but realized I was too far and found it on the way back. After apologies to the group, we started to hike up the birch forest to Hale and, before we knew it, were at the Hale summit (NH48 #33).
attachment.php

A quick photo-op on the big cairn before we started on Lend-a-Hand to the Zealand Falls Hut. Topped off the water and took a few pics of the Falls before we started the climb to Zeacliff and Mt. Zealand. This was our first time on Zeacliff, which did not disappoint - just open wilderness for miles in every direction, it really gives you perspective on how vast the Whites are.
attachment.php

Before we knew it, Twinway led us to the anti-climactic summit of Zealand (NH48 #34) at 11:45am...it's got a cool sign though! I had done the Bonds before, so the next stretch of trail I was looking forward to the most - the Twinway up to Guyot - and it didn't disappoint. While West Bond is probably my favorite peak, Guyot is certainly up there.
attachment.php

The skies were grey but the clouds were high enough to get 360 views. I will definitely be back to Guyot and, hopefully, get more time there. Unfortunately, a little bit of rain started during a quick water refill at the Guyot campsite, but only lasted for a short time.
attachment.php

We took the quick spur over to West Bond (my favorite, you can see why!) and rain subsided before we reached Bond at 2:30pm. It was actually nice weather, so we spent a few extra minutes getting some much needed refueling and made the quick trip to Bondcliff.
attachment.php

After the usual photo-op on the cliff, we left for our cars. The rain started to pick up towards the bottom of Bondcliff trail, and proceeded to open up once we hit the water-logged Wilderness trail, and it didn't stop until we got back to the car at 8:00pm. Those last 5 miles killed my feet (once again!...not sure if it's wet feet or my stride on flat ground), but it was a great hike with friends and the skies held off until we were well below treeline!

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 605
Last edited by a moderator:
We must have been juuuust in front of you guys coming off Lend-a-hand. I think we were working our way up Zeacliff around 9:30-10am and probably made it to Zealand in or around 11-11:30. That's a nice 5 peak day!