Greeley Ponds and Flume Brook Trail Repair Project

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psmart

Reaction score
The USFS has issued a Decision Memo to address trail damage by TS Irene to several trails in Waterville Valley, including the Greeley Ponds and Flume Brook Trails. The decision includes some significant trail closures and relocations. The map tells the quick story:
greeley-decision.jpg
[/URL]

Full Decision memo is here:
http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...i.com/11558/www/nepa/89536_FSPLT3_1424397.pdf
Or just the PDF map:
http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...ai.com/11558/www/nepa/89536_FSPLT2_293428.pdf

Thanks for posting.

Two items here - the downhill zag on the Greeley Ponds Trail and the lower connection to the Kancamagus Ski Touring Trail - indicate the preference of the FS for ease of construction over user experience. It will be interesting to see how many people continue to use the old route.

Thanks for posting!!!!! Looks like "winter use only" across where Flume Brook Bridge used to be? That area was pretty blown-out - wondering how much snow would be needed to ski that as it is? I would guess a bushwhack ski trail could emerge to the replacement bridge north of the base of the Timbercamp Trail??????

Looks like there really isn't a viable ski option any more up to the Flume?

Looks like "winter use only" across where Flume Brook Bridge used to be? That area was pretty blown-out - wondering how much snow would be needed to ski that as it is?
As best I can read the map, the crossing is part of the "decommissioned" segment rather than "winter use". It's rarely frozen enough for a ski crossing. So it looks like you'll have to jog north via the "replacement bridge" for access to/from the Kancamagus Brook Trail.

Thanks for posting.

Two items here - the downhill zag on the Greeley Ponds Trail and the lower connection to the Kancamagus Ski Touring Trail - indicate the preference of the FS for ease of construction over user experience. It will be interesting to see how many people continue to use the old route.

It looks like they are trying to restore some of the aquatic habitat that was damaged when they put in the road (which flooded during high water anyway). I'm not convinced it's laziness so much as a compromise between use and resource management.

The USFS has issued a Decision Memo to address trail damage by TS Irene to several trails in Waterville Valley, including the Greeley Ponds and Flume Brook Trails. The decision includes some significant trail closures and relocations.

Any word on when this work is starting/will be done?

Any word on when this work is starting/will be done?

The current SOPA indicates an "Expected implementation" in June 2013, and the (May) decision memo says " implementation of this decision may begin immediately". So I gather the work is planned for this summer.

Might be this weekend actually. I found this in an email from a while back:

NH Trails Day

Saturday July 20th

Kettles Path – Waterville Valley

USFS / WVAIA Volunteer Trails Day

Join the Forest Service trails staff and the Waterville Valley Athletic and Improvement Association (WVAIA) in beginning to take action on the new Greeley Ponds / Flume Brook trail realignment by helping to build a new trail relocation up to the Kettles off of Livermore Road. This is a great opportunity to learn trail building skills and build new trail.

Time and specifics TBA soon.

They were working on the new section of Greeley Ponds Tr, between Timber Camp Tr and the new river crossing today. This is where the new crossing will be. Pic of the western bank, river below, out of sight.

20130718_37.JPG

This is the lower reroute, south of the Goodrich Rock Tr. Not sure why they had to cut so many trees. Maybe for a wider corridor for skiers?

20130718_44.JPG

I'm glad this area will be opened back up soon but I will miss the easy grades of the old trail (which is still easily passable although very wet).

Wondering if anyone has any info on the progress of this project, which would save me calling the Pemi District! Thanks in advance.....

Wondering if anyone has any info on the progress of this project, which would save me calling the Pemi District! Thanks in advance.....

Any idea if it's worth checking out the Scaur and Kettle Path now that it connect/will connect to the Flume/Skidder path? Looks like it could be an interesting loop with Livermore Road. Anyone been up since it snowed?

I wasn't aware that The Scaur and Kettle Trails were planned to extend anywhere but to The Scaur. We were up there in October when the Greely Ponds Trail was closed and a trail crew was just completing some maintenance leading up to The Scaur. The crew indicated they were done with that project ... it was actually a very pleasant encounter as they were retreating down the trail with all their tools and singing as they went along ... reminded me of a scene from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs!

What you describe could make for an interesting loop, though. Even without a trail, a bushwhack connection is realistic and we've bushwhacked a couple of times to get over to the Greely Ponds Trails but the Mad River crossing can be problematic at times so heading for the Flume Brook Trail makes sense for either destination (i.e. your loop or Greely Ponds).

Visited this area yesterday. It looks like they are mostly done. The GPT now follows the Timber Camp trail up about 3/4 of a mile, then passes it and makes a hairpin turn down to the river. The new bridge is built (and has the nice new bridge smell). It then climbs back-up on the other side and makes a couple of sharp turns on the descent back to the old trail. The new 'trail' is pretty much a forest road. Should be good for XC skiing.

There are a couple of 'Trail closure' signs that are confusing. One was laying on the ground on the old part of the GPT before the former site of the Knights Bridge. Then there was a trail closed sign at the northern junction of the new and old trails that seemed to indicate the the re-route was closed. Not sure if anyone has a better read on this.