anyone have a gps track/wikiloc of Rainier: Paradise, Muir, Ingraham, Summit ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here has a gps track/wikiloc of Rainier via Paradise, Muir, Ingraham, Summit ?
A friend is going, I told him to get it on gps and now it seems unavailable.

I'm not pointing any fingers, but a good friend who had one compressed the file or loaded it to the wrong cloud or some such, so, yeah. ;)

Any input would be appreciated.

You might want to think twice about following someone else's track across glaciated terrain. Crevasses move and the snow cover changes--a prior safe route may lead you into today's disaster.

Doug

You might want to think twice about following someone else's track across glaciated terrain. Crevasses move and the snow cover changes--a prior safe route may lead you into today's disaster.

Doug

I suggested it to him for the trip back below Muir. We did it in a white out and were happy to have the gps. 2 days later a guy died just below Muir because his group didn't know where they were. I agree with you above Muir.

I suggested it to him for the trip back below Muir. We did it in a white out and were happy to have the gps. 2 days later a guy died just below Muir because his group didn't know where they were. I agree with you above Muir.
Sounds good. A GPS can still be useful for general navigation and for descending one's ascent route in poor visibility--just don't blindly follow someone else's track.

I once got off route and a bit confused descending in the fog below Muir (the route was entirely on snow and there were tracks all over the place). We realized we were off route and were searching for the trail when I heard car sounds coming from Paradise. Of course, we just followed the sounds... (This was pre-GPS.)

All one really needs to do is set a waypoint at Paradise and/or record one's track on the way up. One can easily follow either on the way back down.

Doug

Last edited:
All one really needs to do is set a waypoint at Paradise and/or record one's track on the way up. One can easily follow either on the way back down.

Doug

Right, which would be better than nothing. You could descend from whence you came.
But if I'm a 1/4 mile below Muir in a storm, I'd prefer a downloaded track that helped me get to Muir.
This is exactly what would have saved the guy that died after we finished.

Right, which would be better than nothing. You could descend from whence you came.
But if I'm a 1/4 mile below Muir in a storm, I'd prefer a downloaded track that helped me get to Muir.
This is exactly what would have saved the guy that died after we finished.
I recall reading of someone who strayed into the Nisqually valley with fatal results. Sounds like the same or a similar event. (When we were off route, we were ~100yds toward the Nisqually side...)

Doug

Hey Chip.

When we did our trip out west, I had a really good luck getting GPS tracks off peakbagger.com. I go to the peak, look at the trip reports, and some of them include GPS tracks as indicated with "(GPS Track)". The nice thing is you can read their trip report, and see their track on google maps (to get an idea of the route taken). The track logs can be downloaded as GPX.

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2296

Hey Chip. I just got back from the Cascades and can give you a gps track of the current route if your buddy is still looking for it. There were 2 variants leaving the top of the DC but they closed the climbers left route the day before we came down due to serac fall. Email is pcushing21 at yahoo dot com

Hey Chip. I just got back from the Cascades and can give you a gps track of the current route if your buddy is still looking for it. There were 2 variants leaving the top of the DC but they closed the day before we came down due to serac fall. Email is pcushing21 at yahoo dot com

Thanks. They leave this week. I'd like them to have GPS at least to Muir. How did you do ?

Hey Chip.

When we did our trip out west, I had a really good luck getting GPS tracks off peakbagger.com. I go to the peak, look at the trip reports, and some of them include GPS tracks as indicated with "(GPS Track)". The nice thing is you can read their trip report, and see their track on google maps (to get an idea of the route taken). The track logs can be downloaded as GPX.

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2296

thanks thin'n'fast. Will try that also.