Technology and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will write a longer reply about trail hiking but I would say the biggest increase due to technology has been interest in bushwhacking:
* With GPS you are less worried about getting lost
* With cell phone/SPOT you are less worried about needing rescue from the middle of nowhere
* Online peak lists have increased interest in previously seldom-visited peaks often bushwhacks

These days, most people think of electronics (primarily cellphones and GPSes) when the topic of outdoor technology comes up. However, hiking and mountaineering (and other forms of outdoor recreation) have long histories of adopting new technology. Boots moved from leather uppers and soles to (iron) nailed soles and now to rubber (often high tech sticky rubber) soles. The uppers are now often made of modern synthetics. Clothing has also adopted modern high-tech fabrics. Packs are made of light-weight synthetic fabrics. We don't carry iron frying pans any more. Canoes moved from birchbark or dug out logs to aluminum or plastic.

In technical climbing, techniques and equipment have evolved from protection from a fall was an illusion to real protection from horrendous falls. Much of this was brought about be the use of modern materials and technology.

If one looks back through the history, many of these innovations were controversial at the time of introduction--often pitting the old guard against the new young tigers.

GPS and cellphones are just another step along the progression. And like any other step they bring pros and cons and create controversy among some.

Doug

A lot depends on your goals.

If you are hiking with a specific destination as the purpose of the trip, then any technology used might be viewed as an aid.

If you are hiking to escape civilization, then any technology used might be viewed as detracting from the experience. Laura & Guy Waterman covered this topic well.

I enjoyed reading the article itself, as the writer took the time to interview several people and relayed how/why they use this latest technology. If you're a regular hiker it's nothing you haven't seen/experienced before, but in reading it the thought occurred to me - I wonder if more people are able to get in a hike when otherwise they'd wouldn't BECAUSE of the connectivity? How many times did the "am expecting an important call" need prevent someone from hiking? Or skiing or any other outdoor activity?

As has been pointed out - there's always have been changes/introductions in clothing/hardware/electronic devices, etc, and there always will be. And there's always a segment of the population who express a variation of "If God wanted to fly I'd been born with wings". (And to that I want to say "If God intended me to wear clothes ...").

I wonder if more people are able to get in a hike when otherwise they'd wouldn't BECAUSE of the connectivity? How many times did the "am expecting an important call" need prevent someone from hiking? Or skiing or any other outdoor activity?

No doubt about this. I can't get out as much as I used to, life's priorities have changed. However, if I wasn't able to stay somewhat connected most of the time, I wouldn't be able to get out other than a few times a year. The fortunate side of this, however, is that I can be working literally anywhere. My office desk, my families' camp, Key West, my pool, the local tavern, trailside, to and from the trail, etc.

The article could have been entitled, "Cell Phones and Hiking the AT". :)

Whatever, technology has infiltrated into the hiking experience in so many ways. Digital picture taking (most of us just take pictures, only a few do photography) and uploading onto the net. Usage of on-line weather forecasts and perusal of digital mapping programs are another couple of examples along with using the forum (or email) to plan hikes and sending jpeg files of the route superimposed on a digital map back and forth as attachments.

While I don't benefit from it directly, and hope never to do so, my wife feels a lot better about me bushwhacking (especially alone) with a SPOT device than with nothing. She just clicks on a link and sees where I'm at and best of all, she can see when I'm out.

I was thinking of doing a 6 month hike in the Alps when I retire and I figure I'll take a tablet of some sort with internet connectivity instead of paper maps.

Interesting article. I hiked the AT in 1994. No one I met carried a cellphone, and the Internet was pretty unheard of for most of the general population. We got by on calling cards and pay phones and signing the shelter registers... and reading them obsessively. Needless to say, it would have been extremely difficult for anyone to get ahold of me in a timely fashion; I could call my family, but they could not call me.

The only thing I carried requiring batteries was a headlamp (and that was a needless item sent home within a few weeks of starting). For photography I carried those disposable boxboard cameras.

We didn't know back then that we were "lacking" anything, of course. I feel very fortunate to have done the Trail when I did, and I wouldn't trade my non-techy thru-hike for anything. OTOH, were I to do another long trail, I would definitely bring my phone! I visualize quite a different experience though.

I've made the observation before that nearly everything I do for fun (backpacking, skiing, sailing, flying ultralights and paramotors, hunting) involves expensive, interesting equipment... but then I'm a bit of a geek. That said, although I like my modern high tech gear, I also often go day hiking barefoot, with nothing more than shorts, t-shirt, knife, and a water bottle.

I carry a GPS about half the time, same for a phone... but the phone stays in the pack, turned off.

I am not sure that technology will affect the overall number of hikers - they still have to deal with uphills, water, bugs, heat etc. Perhaps people will feel safer trying more difficult things if they believe rescue is closer. Digital photography (and broadband) have certainly increased the number and quality of photos posted online, and that may tend to concentrate more people in certain scenic areas. The real change will be in the hiking experience.

Cell phones may speed rescues particularly if with a GPS feature the rescuers know right where to go, but rescues will take place that wouldn't have happened at all before. (Think summit of Mt Jackson where victim would just have walked out themselves the next morning.) In an area with good cell service, it may be harder for the HikeSafe people to insist that groups should stay together if they can remain in contact while apart.

Young people today have mostly grown up in a connected world and many older people have learned to adapt. Twenty-somethings feel invulnerable anyway and may carry a cellphone because being out of instant contact with your friends is worse than the risk of needing a rescue. If you feel the need to be constantly in touch with the outside world, technology is great. However people who hike to experience the quiet of the woods now have to deal not just with loud groups but incessant phone chatter. (On a rainy night in a crowded A.T. leanto, do people really go outside to talk on the phone?)

A couple decades ago, a guy at a company I worked at decided to thru-hike the A.T. He would send letters and postcards to various friends who would post them on the company network, often out of order depending on mail service and work shifts. As mentioned in the article, a later group of thru-hikers would stop in small town libraries to send e-mails and post on the Internet. Now with tablets and smartphones most posts are probably made from the Trail or accommodations - not sure if the librarians think this is good or bad.

A few years back when cell phones were just coming to NH, I asked in this group which providers had the best coverage of the White Mountains for emergency purposes and all replies responded to the question. A few months later somebody asked which provider had the best coverage to call home from AMC huts and boy did they get hammered! I'm sure this person was polite and would have made their calls out of the presence of others, but many people used to go to the huts to get away from everyday life and knew that if their spouse read in the paper that calls could be made from huts they'd want a call every few hours too.

Given that some people want to remain connected at all times and others might prefer a place where they are actually out of touch, I can see that the next item in guidebooks (at least online ones) will be cell coverage maps so people will know where to go or not go. And how long will it be before a GPS and sat phone make it to the required lists in major parks, pricing lower income people out of hiking?

Awhile back I asked about radio transmissions in Wilderness areas. Suppose that the military had developed the technology to block all radio transmissions from a selected area such as an enemy command center, and offered to apply it to Wilderness areas. There would be no more chatter about driveway repairs, but also no weather forecasts, GPS readings, or calls for help. Inevitably someone will die from a delayed rescue, just as inevitably someone will die from a removed bridge or unmarked trail. Should we do it?
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?17928-cone-of-silence

Awhile back I asked about radio transmissions in Wilderness areas. Suppose that the military had developed the technology to block all radio transmissions from a selected area such as an enemy command center, and offered to apply it to Wilderness areas. There would be no more chatter about driveway repairs, but also no weather forecasts, GPS readings, or calls for help. Inevitably someone will die from a delayed rescue, just as inevitably someone will die from a removed bridge or unmarked trail. Should we do it?
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?17928-cone-of-silence
Just for the record, running a radio jammer is illegal (a federal crime...).

Doug

Interesting points.

For the record, I don't carry anything needing a battery other than a headlamp, and occasionally a camera.

I would also point out that simply because a technology exists, it does not mean it is advantageous to use. Technology is coming out all the time which does not make our lives easier. I recall the gentlemen headed down into the col between Zealand and Guyot looking for Zealand's summit Because his GPS told him that's where it was. Simply looking up away from his screen may have shown him the error of his device.

In line with my personal philosophy, I don't have any issues with technology others use until the point at which it steps on my toes. From Thomas Jefferson: "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

However, I go to the forests and mountains to escape this very kind of thing.

Interesting points.

For the record, I don't carry anything needing a battery other than a headlamp, and occasionally a camera.

Is there an app that can identify a tree species by taking a picture of the bark or the leaves? Or how about plants and shrubs. Or possibly identify bird species by call? It would be so much easier than carrying books.

I don't know a better way to learn map and compass by actually using them to identify your position, and then checking the results on a GPS.

Technology can be empowering...

Laws can be changed, or ignored particularly by the military which have a whole fleet of planes designed for ECM

I have a feeling that at some point concert halls etc. will be allowed to block select frequencies as long as they post that they are doing it

Laws can be changed, or ignored particularly by the military which have a whole fleet of planes designed for ECM
There are many things done during military situations that are not allowed in civilian situations. Jamming is one of them...

I suspect that the laws for non-military jamming are unlikely to be changed... A jammer is a radio transmitter and must be licensed or categorically allowed by the FCC.

I have a feeling that at some point concert halls etc. will be allowed to block select frequencies as long as they post that they are doing it
It has already been tried and has been rejected by the FCC.

Doug

Is there an app that can identify a tree species by taking a picture of the bark or the leaves? Or how about plants and shrubs. Or possibly identify bird species by call? It would be so much easier than carrying books.

I don't know a better way to learn map and compass by actually using them to identify your position, and then checking the results on a GPS.

Technology can be empowering...

Wouldn't that be neat if there was?! Would be like having a version of Shazam.

I prefer to think of it this way.... "I don't know a better way to learn map and compass by actually using them to identify your position." period. Do that and do it well, and you don't need a GPS.