Temporary Closure of Lincoln Woods trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
Just posted on one of the Facebook Hiking groups and by Northcountry News NH on their FB page.

White Mountain National Forest Announces Temporary Closure of Popular Trail

The Lincoln Woods Trail, located off the Kancamagus Highway in Lincoln, NH was severely damaged by Tropical Storm Irene in August 2011.While the Forest was able to stabilize the trail for short-term use, a section of this popular trail requires extensive restoration. Beginning in early to mid-August 2013, the section of the Lincoln Woods Trail, from the west side of the suspension bridge to the Osseo Trail junction, will be temporarily closed while repairs are underway. The exact dates of the closure will be announced later this month. The expected duration of this project will be six to eight weeks. The Eastside Trail, located on the east side of the river, will be open for day hikes and to access the Pemigewasset Wilderness; however hikers should note there is no bridged crossing of the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River via this route and plan accordingly.

Pemigewasset District Ranger Jon Morrissey explains, “High water from Irene eroded the river bank causing the edge of the trail to wash into the river. Approximately 500 feet of the Lincoln Woods Trail which follows along the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River, will be realigned away from the eroded river bank to a safer and more sustainable location.”

While the trail is closed for repairs, hikers will have to consider alternate routes which may increase distances to destinations. Please recognize this closure may affect the ability to complete other popular hiking routes such as the Pemi Loop and restrict access from the Lincoln Woods Trail to popular destinations such as Franconia Falls, Bondcliff, Thirteen Falls Tentsite, and the summit of Owl’s Head. Signs will be posted at trailheads with details about the closure while the project is underway and updated information can be found at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain.

The Lincoln Woods trailhead parking lot and Visitor Center are located off the Kancamagus Highway, 5 miles east of I-93, Exit 32 in Lincoln NH.

Thanks for posting! I guess if I don't want to finish my 48 on Owl's Head then I have some trip re-arranging to do!

So if going to the Bonds, take the East Side Trail, then use the suspension bridge to cross over to the Wilderness Trail?

Well, this does put a crimp in things. Bummer that they have to do it during peak hiking season (pun intended) but then again, when *is* there a good time to shut it down for 6-8 weeks? It will end up being for the best, though--the current state seems like it would continually erode further, without help.

Glad they're fixing the trail, one of the most used in the entire WMNF.

Makes doing the Pemi Loop more interesting!

I'm 100% certain rocket21 knows the bridge is gone and is stirring up the pot.

Tim

jump-the-shark-arrested-development.gif

Am I hallucinating? Just checking - was procrastinating on Pemi Loop in a Day. Looks like unless it's in the next few weeks, it's next year. Was this notice the very first mention of this plan?

I'm haven't seen the washout(s) but others that I have seen make me curious as to why it is necessary to close nearly 1 1/2 miles of trail to repair or relocate what I presume to be only one or more portions of trail which could likely be bushwhacked. To me, bushwhacking a half mile or more might be more convenient than the East Side Trail and the risk of high water obstructing a safe passage into the Pemi.

I assume this is the section in question that is to be "realigned". Definitely will continue to erode given time. A most unfortunate situation that effectively the whole trail will be closed for 2 months...

P9090656.JPG

I'm haven't seen the washout(s) but others that I have seen make me curious as to why it is necessary to close nearly 1 1/2 miles of trail to repair or relocate what I presume to be only one or more portions of trail which could likely be bushwhacked.
It would probably be quite feasible to flag a temporary bypass but user convenience is not a priority with the FS, note the lengthy closure of the AT in VT after Irene when only one area had any serious issues.

Not all users of this particular trail are hikers, this closure also affects someone who might walk in a short distance to fish. I suppose it allows the FS to leave ugly tracks with heavy equipment without anyone to complain.

I have a couple of friends who want to traverse the Bonds and Twins over two days in mid August. I forded the river many years ago from the campground 3 miles down the East side trail over to the bridge - at the time, it was no problem. I have not really paid attention to the water level and current this year. Does anyone think this would be a problem with typical August water levels? I was going to suggest they ford from the campground area over to the bridge and then carry on the last 1.4 miles to Bondcliff trail. Any thoughts?

Think it can be done...I did it last year about that time with no issues...sure the current was swift but it was not too deep...

I have a couple of friends who want to traverse the Bonds and Twins over two days in mid August. I forded the river many years ago from the campground 3 miles down the East side trail over to the bridge - at the time, it was no problem. I have not really paid attention to the water level and current this year. Does anyone think this would be a problem with typical August water levels? I was going to suggest they ford from the campground area over to the bridge and then carry on the last 1.4 miles to Bondcliff trail. Any thoughts?

YMMV, but for me, I first check the E. Branch of the Pemi flow at:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01074520
I have forded the river at 170 CFS near the start of the Bondcliff trail (the OLD start of the Bondcliff Tr.), and while it wasn't hard, it wasn't a total cakewalk either.
I have also observed the river when it was at 400 CFS, and thought I could probably ford it, but I'd have to really want to.

Note that it's running 508 CFS as I write this, which is way higher than the 20 year median of about 150 for this date. You can't count on it being low just because it's August.

I crossed from the campground to the bridge during the height of the drought last summer and was still forced to take off my shoes and wade. When at the former suspension bridge site with bryan early last fall, we witnessed a group of backpackers struggle for quite awhile to find a safe place to cross.

I wonder if they could conduct this project in a manner that would involve them having equipment/material set up each Friday afternoon in a manner in which the trail could be opened on the weekend?