LOST HIKER IN Spaulding mountain area maine.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On July 17th we were hiking part of the AT near Dunn Falls and met her husband on East B Hill Road. He was waiting for her to finish that section and they were heading to Andover for overnight. He seemed a bit concerned with the time it was taking her but we couldn't say wherether she was all that slow. I hope it turns out OK.

most recent update http://www.kjonline.com/news/Search-for-missing-Tennessee-woman-enters-7th-day.html
Audrey;Husband comes across as a nice guy on the news.
Mountain 49;she has camping gear,but lots of time has now gone by.I hope also she is ok.
This past weekend I was up in the Hartland maine area and drove up to Monson to check out the a.t..On the hour drive up I saw like 2-3 coyotes,I wonder if they would go after a smaller person?Seems like this hiker is very experienced,hope she is holed out some place and waiting for help......

Very odd, hoping that she will be found soon and ok. According the a report I read yesterday there are lots and lots of remote places she could have fallen into that will take time to explore.

Usually coyote will not attack a human, however there certainly have been instances when they have. The young woman in Canada a few years ago comes to mind. I really hope that did not happen.

Let's not jump to conclusions regarding the wildlife. There are way too many people petrified of killer chipmunks. You have a far better chance of being hit by lightning than being attacked by the wildlife.

Let's not jump to conclusions regarding the wildlife. There are way too many people petrified of killer chipmunks. You have a far better chance of being hit by lightning than being attacked by the wildlife.

Agreed.

Really hoping this woman is found safe, and it is good that the weather has been favorable recently, but let's not throw coyotes under the bus in the meantime. There is too much irrational fear of wildlife as it is. Coyotes are rarely even seen, and attacks on people are almost unheard of. The low wolf population in this country is indicative of that type of fear.

Agreed.

Really hoping this woman is found safe, and it is good that the weather has been favorable recently, but let's not throw coyotes under the bus in the meantime. There is too much irrational fear of wildlife as it is. Coyotes are rarely even seen, and attacks on people are almost unheard of. The low wolf population in this country is indicative of that type of fear.
At a fat gutted 185-190,I am not afraid of coyotes in this part of the country.I did put my comment in question form also.With such a utter loss of clues to this poor hikers whereabouts,I was just theorizing.I am not ready to throw out any other theories yet,as to keep faith she maybe found.
Climate change is producing odd behavior in our landscape in regards to its effects on trees,namely the rapid expansion of invasive plants and bugs.There does seem to be some merit to its negative/odd effects on wildlife[moose are a good example],so maybe the improbable is more likely?With all due respect I was hoping this thread would not degenerate into a wildlife thread.It seems everyone on this site is a big time animal lover too......peace

Some people ask if I am afraid of being hurt by wildlife. I tell them that I'd be lucky to see a bear or a coyote. I'm pretty sure that the biggest dangers to my well being on the trail are my own ignorance, and other people. I really hope this story isn't tragic.

Indeed... .

Scared of wildlife? Stay away from Home Depot were a rabid fox just attacked some shoppers, including a guy in his truck where the fox jumped up and into the cab for the opportunity.

I'd like to volunteer to look for her. Is anyone organizing volunteers for the search and rescue effort?

Thanks for the current information Raven. I know we are all on the edge of our seats hoping for a positive outcome (miracle).

Z

vibes to her loved ones, hope this mystery is solved soon!
prolly a slim chance but, the spaulding slide is a concern for me due to it's hazard potential. It's a short whack for access, which keeps hikers away, but you never know....

In light of the current events regarding the missing AT hiker in the Rangeley/Stratton region, what are the emergency contact phone numbers in that area?

I know there are several Game Warden Dispatch Centers and Regional Headquarters (Gray, Augusta, Orono and Houlton) as well as Maine State Police Communication Centers in the same locations as the Game Warden Dispatch Centers.

However, what center and/or emergency agency is the most appropriate to call when in the Rangeley/Stratton region?

Also is there a local SAR telephone number? Or any other emergency contacts recommended?

Lastly, what are the chances of reliable emergency contact with a cell phone while in this area?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.