LOST HIKER IN Spaulding mountain area maine.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest from MASAR:

SEARCH UPDATE FOR GERALDINE LARGAY August 4, 2013: At the conclusion of today’s search efforts there was no new attributing evidence or information found as to Geraldine’s location. At this point, the search for Geraldine Largay will be extensively scaled back.

Today’s search involved approximately 115 searchers that included Maine Game Wardens and MASAR* volunteers. They were concentrated in an area approximately 4.2 miles square. The area is contained within the black search boxes on the map. This search area was established based on several pieces of information gathered from hikers.

The search area was intensely covered today and utilized Game Wardens and K9 teams, MASAR foot searchers and both K9 and horseback teams. Game Wardens will continue to investigate all leads. In the event new information becomes available, local wardens and MASAR searchers will be used to search those areas. Those with any information should call the Public Safety Dispatch Center Augusta at (207) 624-7076 or 1-800-452-4664 (Maine only).

(*The Maine Association for Search and Rescue (MASAR) is a non-profit organization that promotes and develops search and rescue resources for the state of Maine. MASAR provides training and certification for search and rescue volunteers using nationally-recognized standards. See mainesearchandrescue.org for more information.)

So sad :(

Can anyone shed light as to why they think she back-tracked? According to the article most recently linked they said she was seen at the Spaulding shelter on the 23rd, after having come from Poplar Ridge. But the search grid they show is on the trail FROM Poplar Ridge. After staying the night of the 23rd wouldn't she have then moved forward towards Sugarloaf, and onto CVR, instead of back towards Lone Mountain?

I am trying to finish my 67, and Abraham is one of my last. You can bet I will be scanning the sides of the trail.

So many of us are feeling so helpless over this. I hope something/someone sheds light soon on what has happened. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of details we do not know about. I do wish there was something I could do to help.

Hiked the Crockers and Redington yesterday. In the morning on the CVR we saw 4 searchers on horseback, including one ranger or warden who said they were heading to their search assignment. Also took note of an obvious bear scat right on the CVR between the parking lot and the start of the hike to Crocker. After that, we saw 1 thru hiker and two day hikers on the AT. After Redington, we descended via the logging roads, the long way, around the pond and then back down the road, 7-8 miles. It was my first time navigating that way down Redington, instead of the normal return bushwhack. All of the roads in the area had fresh ATV tracks from the search. Some brief storms with thunder and heavy rain came through about 3:30-4:00pm on Sunday. I've been following this closely, and really hope for some closure soon for the family.

Lastly, what are the chances of reliable emergency contact with a cell phone while in this area?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Pete, On yesterday's hike on the west side of CVR, cell service was pretty abundant, but not in every single location (in and out especially in the trees). I remember having service as we walked back past Caribou Pond, which means that 8 miles down the CVR, there was service (ATT). I can't remember about service on the east side of the Road, between Sugarloaf and Abraham from my hike last year.

The apparent search area was reported on the Barnjum side and in general south of Spaulding. I expect points in the Caribou Valley with a good view towards Sugarloaf have reasonable cell service as there are antennas on top of Sugarloaf. I would expect the cell service is minimal in the area south bound along the AT shadowed by Spaulding. Rural cell towers in Maine are generally only built when there is a market for their services from either locals or the traveling public. Given the lack of roads to the north until RT 16 on the opposite side of the Reddington Range and a rural state route a few miles south of Barnjum there just isn't much market for major providers to install towers. I expect south of Pleasant Ridge Shelter, cell serice is available as there is most likely antennas on Saddleback to service the skiers.

This unfortunately is not the first case where the resolution may come years later from a hunter or woods worker. If VFTT members may recall it took several years to find a crashed jet in the woods of NH(obviously a much larger search area).

This rekindles thoughts of Dave Paulides' book, Missing 411, which documents people who mysteriously disappear, and despite intensive S&R, are usually never seen again. Many are hikers, both alone, or in large groups, in or near the 'woods'. One of his 'clusters' stretches from the Kancamagus to Ktaadn.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?45499-Missing-hikers-tonite-on-C2C&highlight=paulides

Your post, rup, reminds me, grimly, of the stretch of A.T. between Route 9 in Vermont and Stratton-Arlington Road, where there are legends of numerous people over the decades who have disappeared in that forest near Glastenbury Mountain. One hopes against hope that inchworm is found, still and yet alive, but at this point Dan's wish for closure is probably all that's left. Makes the heart heavy to ponder it.

There are those, like John Muir, who venture all manner of hazard in the wildest of the wild over a lifetime, never to perish, and others less fortunate who take far less risk only to meet their demise - fortunately they are few. My own self, on my first visit to the A.T. with a friend, we got caught on top of CT's Bear Mountain in a fierce, though brief, thunder and hailstorm. We ran far enough south, fast enough, and the storm stayed far enough north, and luck held, and I wasn't struck dead, nor was Jared, who was fleeter of foot. But nothing said it had to be that way. I think of that day every time I pass the pitch pine I crouched under at the height of the storm, right on trail - almost below the tree/scrub line but not quite. The upshot of that day is I have a great memory and got a nice cooling shower on a warm, late summer afternoon and, thankfully, nothing more. Better to be lucky than good.

Last edited:
This rekindles thoughts of Dave Paulides' book, Missing 411, which documents people who mysteriously disappear, and despite intensive S&R, are usually never seen again. Many are hikers, both alone, or in large groups, in or near the 'woods'. One of his 'clusters' stretches from the Kancamagus to Ktaadn.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?45499-Missing-hikers-tonite-on-C2C&highlight=paulides

It's a bit early to go there, unless you're a Col. Flagg type. Remember that family members may be reading this thread, and they don't need what some might deem the lunatic fringe intruding on their worries.

My prayers are with the family, and hope this ends well. The book just documents that some people just disappear. Could happen to you or me. No lunacy here.

Hiked that part of trail ~3 years ago in mid week. I remember it as a very alone / isolated experience - like many Maine trails. Glad it was over.

Last edited:
I haven't hiked this section of trail. What are the woods like there? Is it likely that someone would decide to head off trail (perhaps to avoid something) and not find their way back? In other words, are they walkable woods or tightly branched?

erugs, It depends on where exactly she may have gone off-trail (if she did). The ridge near the Spaulding shelter is fairly dense spruce/fir, and would not invite spur-of-the-moment bushwhacking. It's very slow to travel unless you follow the moose paths, and just about impossible to search thoroughly, though hardly the worst bushwhacking that Maine has to offer. In the valleys on either side of that ridge there is also a labyrinth of half-grown-in logging roads that could be very confusing. Also in the area (e.g. from the summit of Spaulding until the Sugarloaf spur, and again descending the west flank of Sugarloaf) there's a fairly steep drop-off on one side of the trail, where it's easy to imagine some kind of injury.

This is the trail on Spaulding mountain a few years ago (in early June, so still traces of snow on the ground): http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/spaulding/i13.jpg

Thank you nartreb. It is just so difficult to understand - which I guess is an understatement.

somewhat recent info. http://www.kjonline.com/news/Search-continues-for-missing-AT-hiker-Geraldine-Largay.html
Saw some comments in another thread about this.thought I would try to give it another bump here.
Recent article[couple of weeks ago]claims Geraldine NEVER spent the night at the spaulding lean to.That seems to change things up from the previous search areas.

With hunting season approaching there is a chance that more people "off trail" will find something that will bring the family closer to closure. Thank you for posting more details about this troubling disappearance, RedOak. I applaud the family's courage throughout this ordeal.

Z

That might make a difference if there was foul play but also an incentive to get more looking again as foliage dies back.