LOST HIKER IN Spaulding mountain area maine.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is plausible that she could have had an unpredictable health incident that effected her cognitive ability resulting in her loosing the trail. Then if she became incapacitated (through a fall) she could still be out there. Several times I heard of human remains being found that were later linked to a missing person (hiker) One example being "The Last Season."

I know that NJSAR has in the past collected and consilidated gps tracks from searchs. It would be interesting to see the consolidated tracks for all the teams in this instance. It could definitely be a discussion point for areas that were not searched that could be possibilities. Unfortunately foul play still sits in the back of my mind.

Like John said, SERE is indicated in Acme Mapper using Topo view:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.98863,-70.41463&z=14&t=T

People and the triangle inscribed in a circle are visible in the satellite view:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.00150,-70.42204&z=20&t=H

Bing's aerial view shows no additional information.

First time I encountered the term SERE? Probably in season one, episode eight of David Mamet's "The Unit". The episode's title is "SERE" and the IMDB description succinctly states: "The unit takes on a grueling exercise of torture and humiliation."

Just curious if anyone knows, is there still an active search for her going on?
Is there information out there on the AT about looking for her?
Such a sad and haunting thing for her and the family...

Just curious if anyone knows, is there still an active search for her going on?
Is there information out there on the AT about looking for her?
Such a sad and haunting thing for her and the family...

Last year when I hiked in that area bagging the 4Ks, there were signs with some info about her and the most current pic of her. They said if you found anything that you thought was a sign of her, take a pic and make note of the location, but do not move it. That way they could investigate it properly. I have not been where those signs were yet this year as when I have been in Stratton I was bagging the NEHH peaks, not the 4Ks.

While heading to the Crockers and Redington on September 28, 2014, I saw this posted at the gate on Caribou Valley Road.

IMG_0995.jpg

If it turns out to be her, I'm glad the family can finally get closure. It will be interesting to see if they release any more details about what they think happened or where the body was found.

I caught part of the press conference. At least one of the canine searchers went quite close by the location of the remains. The warden described the area as typical Maine mature softwoods.

Very sad, but thanx's for passing on this information. I was just up in Stratton a few weeks ago and though of her.

It seems strange, from Google maps, the AT passes across Railroad Rd, which heads to Redington Pond. So if her intention was to leave the trail, why not take the road. Why continue up the AT, then go off trail toward the pond.

It seems strange, from Google maps, the AT passes across Railroad Rd, which heads to Redington Pond. So if her intention was to leave the trail, why not take the road. Why continue up the AT, then go off trail toward the pond.

Looks like, based on where she was found, that she may have been attempting to take a low route toward the A.T. road crossing in the col between Sugarloaf and Crocker. She reportedly was to meet her husband further up the trail at a road crossing near Stratton.

if this was the case, it could be for any of a number of reasons. She may have been adversely affected by cold, rainy weather, got hypothermic, and got lost on her way, along the lines of law enforcement's speculation. She may have been perfectly fine but simply found the hard terrain and heavier-than-usual pack to be too much. Could have schlepped down to where they found her, camped for the night, died peacefully in her sleep of natural causes. Alternatively, she might've been injured or not feeling well and took this low-road, back-road approach, and have passed in her sleep as suggested above or succumbed to whatever was ailing her and led her off the ridge. Numerous other possibilities could be mentioned. Quite possibly she had no cell signal so couldn't contact her spouse - I seem to recall from reports near to the time of her disappearance that she hadn't contacted him in the few hours before her disappearance.

It's in the coroner's hands to make what they can of what evidence her remains and personal effects provide. The law enforcement spokesperson saying it doesn't appear to be foul play could indicate an innocent, though sad, end to this mystery.

Last edited:
That's a significant slope in a thickly wooded area , not very tempting as a "low road". But it *is* right along the route of the AT as marked on USGS maps. Do we know if she was using GPS? The temptation to obey the device even when the blazes disappear could be strong.

I was thinking along those lines, nartreb. As it appears the AT may have been rerouted away from that area at some time? Or is it just represented incorrectly on the maps? Its been since 06 when I went through there. Besides the old rail grade, I cant remember if there are any unclear turns where one could end up on a wrong route.

Glad the family will have some closure, RIP.

Last edited:
Was told about this over the w/e. David Paulides, the author of the 5 volume 'Missing 411' books, was on Coast to Coast on Nov 12. He took issue with the coroner's report, etc.

I found a YouTube link. Here's an url for the broadcast. C2c has its own subscription for re-broadcast, so it can be difficult to find others. Paulides begins at the 38:15 mark, and Largay is discussed from 1:42:30 to 1:47:25 - more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kprVUeusMl4

Coast to Coast seems to inevitably get into extraterrestrial activity and I'm just not 'tuned' into that stuff, but I did have the same questions that were brought up in the interview. How could the coroner look at what was essentially a bag of bones an determine that she died from hypothermia and a lack of food and water? That conclusion might close the case, but personally I still think there was foul play.

The coronor's report was supposed to satisfy us, but certainly has not done that. I wonder/hope her family knows more. If they believe that report, they have their eyes closed.