Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spruce Ridge (near Mt. Cardigan) Wind Farm...

Spruce Ridge (near Mt. Cardigan) Wind Farm...

For a few months now, EDP Renewables has been exploring the possibility of building a wind farm on Spruce Ridge, near Oregon and Mowglis Mountains, a couple of miles northeast of Mt. Cardigan.

The company took another step forward in the process by filing an application with the FAA for a 263-foot meteorological tower.

The application can be seen here:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...seID=193007292

Looking at the application, the proposed met tower appears to be sited just a few feet off of the Oregon Mountain Trail (currently in the AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide), which connects Oregon Mountain with Mowglis Mountain.

Hmmm...

I don't understand the application you linked to, but it looks like its for a single tower.

The other nearby project in Groton (?) is a Spanish company too. I wonder how much power they plan to generate and where it's going. Also how the residents of Groton, Rumney and Plymouth feel Bout it, now tha it's a done deal.
    Add life to your years!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    The other nearby project in Groton (?) is a Spanish company too. I wonder how much power they plan to generate and where it's going.
    The local rumor is that the Groton farm is not yet generating electricity for the grid, but rather they're spinning the turbines (sometimes on generators) for appearances right now.

Anecdotally, that makes more and more sense considering what I've observed. For instance, when doing a sunrise hike on Rattlesnake earlier this year, none of the turbines were running before sunrise. As soon as there was daylight, the most of the farm fired up. There was no difference in wind. Another anecdote was when I was driving home last week, side by side turbines were spinning in the opposite direction. Another anecdote, when I was driving to Plymouth this afternoon, the whole farm was down, then it looked like a switch was pulled and turbines started spinning (adjacent turbines facing different directions). Fishy in the very least.

Also how the residents of Groton, Rumney and Plymouth feel Bout it, now tha it's a done deal.
    This resident of Ashland is hoping that he doesn't lose a big pine tree, as he would then have the blinking red lights illuminating his bedroom window. His tax dollars were taken to send the money to Spain without his consent, and he was never approached or asked about the impact on his property. In regard to how other area residents feel, a quick drive around the Newfound area suggests that there are more anti-wind yard signs than anti-Northern Pass signs in Franconia.

From a hiking perspective, it's a darned shame what that farm did to the views from Rattlesnake Mountain (WMNF), Stinson Mountain (WMNF), and especially Bald Knob and Mt. Crosby (NHSP). Steve Smith posted some less than complementary photos of the latter peaks this past spring.

Hmmm...

I don't understand the application you linked to, but it looks like its for a single tower.
    Yes -- it's an application for a single tower -- a meteorological tower ("met tower") erected to suss out the viability of the area for a wind farm. The height of the tower is such that the FAA is now involved.

Anyway, for those interested in the goings-on in this area of the state, the met tower erection shows that EDP Renewables has moved just a bit further beyond simple discussion of siting a wind farm on Spruce Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    From a hiking perspective, it's a darned shame what that farm did to the views from Rattlesnake Mountain (WMNF), Stinson Mountain (WMNF), and especially Bald Knob and Mt. Crosby (NHSP). Steve Smith posted some less than complementary photos of the latter peaks this past spring.
    Agreed. And the concern, as well, is that additional wind farms in this area will not only affect the views, but also cause closure of some very fine (if underused) old trails.

As a sometimes-resident of Bristol, NH, it is a shame to see this done to the Newfound Lake watershed/viewshed. I think anyone can find pro/con data for windmills anywhere you want, much of it very convincing, depending on your bias. However, once it's done, it's done. One only has to fly over California east of San Francisco to see hundreds of idle windmills doing nothing....

As far as the Groton Windmills - last week I still counted 2 of the 24 windmills not even turning (and I couldn't see all from Tenney Mountain Highway). They've been like that for weeks... Other times, the wind is COMPLETELY calm and many still turn?
    Yay for winter!!!!!

EDP Renewables has submitted a bid to the State of Connecticut for a long-term power contract to supply power from its proposed Spruce Ridge wind farm.

See the end of this article: http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/0...energy-project

Also, EDP Renewables' RFP Bidder Response for this project can be seen here. (Note that sections have been redacted, and thus some information is not visible.)

A news article from December of last year provides some additional information about the proposed wind farm: http://www.vnews.com/news/3438926-95...roton-farm-edp
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 08-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.

A good resource for info on Newfound area windfarms is www.nhwindwatch.org. The map shows 96 400' wing turbines on ridges within a few miles of Mt. Cardigan. If you think Tenney is a bit much, you ain't seen nuthin' yit. BE AWARE: if Spruce Ridge happens, the exclusion zone around turbines ensures Elwell Trail has a mile gap in the middle of it. I do not see any good route for a relo in the neighborhood. Many of us have testifies to the legislature for a moratorium and for the Site Evaluation Committee to have to follow the rules from its own website that are still only drafts after seven years. All we got was a study committee, so we must make do with speaking there, for now.

from the map on nhwindwatch, not only are they all around Cardigan, Sculptured Rocks, but they also look to be all around Ragged Mountain? This is INSANE!!!!! And the view taxes aren't going down for the residents, you can bet. How is the excavation/etc not going to destroy the actual natural resources in that area?
    Yay for winter!!!!!

windmills are an eyesore
    why are there people like Frank??

Quote Originally Posted by Creag Nan Drochaid View Post
    BE AWARE: if Spruce Ridge happens, the exclusion zone around turbines ensures Elwell Trail has a mile gap in the middle of it. I do not see any good route for a relo in the neighborhood.
    Add to that the Oregon Mountain Trail (connecting Oregon Mountain with Mowglis Mountain -- the next two peaks north of Mt. Cardigan and Firescrew) and the Carter Gibbs Trail (connecting the Elwell Trail and Oregon Mountain Trail with Sculptured Rocks, in Groton).

From the proposed plans, it looks as if the Spruce Ridge windfarm would be within two miles or so of the AMC Cardigan Lodge -- has the AMC taken an open stance on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Creag Nan Drochaid View Post
    A good resource for info on Newfound area windfarms is www.nhwindwatch.org. The map shows 96 400' wing turbines on ridges within a few miles of Mt. Cardigan.
    Creag -- according to the application filed with the FAA, the met tower for this was supposed to have gone up between 07/29/2013 and 08/05/2013, with a location that looks to be right on/near the Oregon Mountain Trail. Have you been up this way recently and seen whether or not there is a met tower in place?

I went for a walk up there yesterday, following the Oregon Trail from Mowglis to Oregon Mt. and back. I didn't have the coordinates of the proposd met tower site with me at the time, bit I've checked t since, and it seems to be right on the ridge, either on or just left of the trail where it crosses a skid trail as it climbs out of the little sag about 1/2 mile east of Mowglis. I didn't see anything to indicate there's been any construction, or even any serious looking around.

I doubt it helps, bit it wasn't windy at all ;-)

On the other hand it was a beautiful walk and I did run into,a big smelly bear right on top of Mowglis which was pretty cool.
    Add life to your years!

I didn't see anything to indicate there's been any construction, or even any serious looking around.
    The proposed tower's coordinates indicate it to be very close to the Oregon Mountain Trail -- I suspect you would have seen some sign of activity had there been any. The tower itself would have been tough to miss, looking from the open ledges of Oregon Mountain southwest toward Mowglis Mountain.

On the other hand it was a beautiful walk and I did run into,a big smelly bear right on top of Mowglis which was pretty cool.
    But, did you see the bronze plaque on the rock on Mowglis Mountain, where the Oregon Mountain Trail connects to the Elwell Trail? (See the attached file.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elwell_Trail_0109.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	4667

Oregon Mountain will be just fine.

and

are practically the same thing, right? Those little dots at the bottom right of the turbine are people, by the way.