Best phone cases and packing methods for smartphones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I want to make clear immediately that the phone will not be serving as emergency equipment for me! ;) I mostly want to take it along for the camera's capabilities, especially since my actual camera is fairly bulky and heavy. I don't HAVE to bring it along, and certainly don't want to destroy it. I've read about a few of the options for my Samsung S2 (Otterbox and Ballistic in particular) but would love any feedback from anyone with experience with these or other protective cases. I obviously want to pack it in the body of the pack, among soft items like clothing, but again, would love to hear any specific hints anyone might have that they've been successful with.

Thanks All!!! :D

I use my iPhone 4S more than my point and shoot waterproof camera....unless it's raining.

I have it in a carbon fiber Element Ion4 case that has saved it from many drops, including one from 12'. I'm not suggesting this case necessarily, but some sort of bumper protection will go a long way, just make sure it's not too rigid because it'll transfer the energy to the phone inside it. I have seen cases as low as $5 that would probably work just as well.

I also have a Zagg screen protector on it, which is lifetime guaranteed. It protects the screen from all sorts of scratches, whether it's dirt on your fingers or having the screen touch rocks if it scraped across them, like when it's dropped :mad:. I have found the Zagg products to be excellent and their customer service top notch. I work with a lot of nasty chemicals and do side work automotive (think grease and oil) and it also protects from both of those.

I had the Otterbox Defender and while it provides some protection, it's bigger and clunky compared to just the case and screen protector, and isn't waterproof anyway, just water resistant. I looked into the Lifeproof case since it is waterproof, but the screen layer the Lifeproof and Otterbox add makes them harder to use since additional tactile pressure is needed. The Zagg screen protector is just like using the bare screen by itself.

For hiking, I either keep it in a side pouch ready for use as described above, or inside a freezer bag (they are tougher than regular ziploc bags) on the pack belt. If it's a long hike or raining and I'm using my point-and-shoot camera instead, I have two lexan waterproof/crushproof hard cases I use, which I can provide the numbers and dimensions of, but I'm not sure of how the S2 compares to the 4S dimensionally.

For biking I just keep it in the top pouch of the Camelbak but will put it in a freezer bag if it's going to rain. For Kayaking I always put it in one of the hard cases since they are waterproof and will float should I dump the kayak. I also tether the case to the cockpit and am just careful with the phone when I remove it.

One thing I also take with me, that I love using, is a mini tripod for self pictures. It's a Gorilla Grip Tight Stand and I bought it at Beans. It holds the phone really tight and sets up in seconds. It's so small I also keep it in the waist belt of the pack right with the phone. I had the tripod already and just bought the Grip Tight by itself, but there are a few options. It's money well spent.

Last edited:
Sadly, or gladly, I'm not sure which, I have found Hefty freezer bags my #1 choice for protecting my camera from moisture. A waterproof seal is not guaranteed but I found that's not really necessary when hiking and it is reasonably reliable. Paddling is another matter. In that case I either take a chance on the seal or, especially if I have no need to keep it at hand, I'll double the effort by also placing it in a waterproof "Sea Bag" and attach it behind the seat.

Normally, I carry the camera where it is easily accessible, e.g my pants pocket or a breast pocket.

I just throw my phone in the pack, usually in with my wallet and car keys in a pocket I don't expect to open during the hike. If I'm concerned about weather I'll put them both in a ziplock bag. Never had a problem.

I plunked down the money for a Life Proof case, and I have to say, I love it. It was a lot of money, but it does what I want it to do.

Brian

I carried my iPhone in a LifeProof case for 2630 miles on the PCT, on my pack's shoulder strap using their belt clip attatchment. Rain, snow, dusty desert - no problem. In fact, when I removed my phone from the case at the end of the trip there wasn't even a single speck of dust inside.

100% worth the cost!

Scree protector, cheap silicon case, ZPacks shoulder pouch. Zip-loc bag if it looks like rain. Works for me. I use Gaia GPS and the camera...

Great stuff! Thanks everyone. I think it's pretty interesting that there is such a range in responses. I am not used to spending money on much, but the phone should be well worth the cost (some would say not a lot at all but quite a bit to me) considering it's camera alone not to mention now I don't need to get a GPS for my car (no, I didn't have one of those either! :D). To me it is an investment and I want to protect it. I have heard a lot of people say exactly what David said, however .... "never had a problem". Regardless, I feel strongly that I might just be the exception to that rule; somehow these things just happen to me :p. This weekend I'm trying a small plastic-y mailing envelope of the kind that is lined with bubble wrap and a freezer Ziploc. Hopefully I can find a middle of the road to very good shock-proof case online; since I have the S2 almost nothing is available in stores for it any longer, so I'll need to hunt for a bargain via the web.
Thanks again all!!

I keep my phone stored in my pack for emergencies, but I think this matches where you want to store your phone so here is what I do. Nothing special :) Basically, I put it in a ziplock bag and place that in my "kitchen" sack. This sack is always located at the top of my pack. I use the standard plastic cover that comes with the Motorola Atrix. No issues for me after 700 miles or so.

http://www.backpackingengineer.com

I recommend you get a hardware case such as one from pelican and otter...but something more... rechargeable dessicator packets. These are the little packets that absorb moisture from the air. You can get them in little silver cans. When the pellets in the cans turn green, you have to bake them at 280 deg F for an hour or so to renew their moisture absorbing properties. Preventing condensation on your electronics will keep more reliable. Condensing moisture from water vapor or rain drops can ruin electronics, and, in the case of phones, they specifically look for any sign of moisture before honoring your warranty.

See http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Indicating-Desiccant-Silica-Canister/dp/B0018O035O

Last edited:
Love all these recommendations, everyone; thank you! I went with the case by ballistic that fits this exact phone, which I found online for under $25. It appears to be highly recommended and similar to Otter Box but with easier access to ports and supposedly better closures for keeping out dust and dirt. I will probably keep this little bubble-wrap thingy, too, because I know myself and would at the very least be worried about damaging it if I didn't go the extra mile, so to speak :D. I read some advice that I'm following re: where it should be kept ---- not top of the pack as the compartment, if not full, could allow the phone to rattle around, but instead inside the body of the pack in among soft items like extra clothing. So far mine has gone inside the mailing pouch and then inside a hat which I put between a fleece and another soft layer. So far so good. Thanks again for all the tips and info!!!

Heads up to those interested in Lifeproof iPhone Cases - they're only $29 on Groupon right now

Not sure if this is ok to post, feel free to remove if so...