NH 48 at midnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
Marley and I hope to finish our "NH 48 @ midnight" tonight. Weather and moon look very promising tonight for our completion of all 48 4000' summits hiked at night. Each peak, so far, we have been able to hike and sit at the summit at the stroke of midnight. It has been over 4 years in the making but tonight looks to be the end of yet another list.

Congratulations in advance!! Hope the summit you saved for last has a nice view, with the moon and clear skies...!

I've never heard of the 4k's being done like that, cool. What's your last one? I was on Garfield yesterday, That would be a great full moon summit.

That sounds like awesome fun! I have hiked a number of peaks this way, but not all!

Do you usually camp out nearby or hike until dawn?

Congratulations! Have a great hike tonight, and I'm sure that's been quite the journey!

Love your "think out of the box" do-it-yourself list. These are always more meaningful. Congrats to you and Marley. Enjoy it!!!

Very nice. Other than ones where early starts and late returns have been planned, almost all of my mid night hikes have been, how do you say, 'unplanned'.
Well done.

How did things work out for you? Which peak was the finish on? I've wanted to do some full moon hikes, but day of the week, weather, and how busy I am never seem to work together right.

I've never heard of the 4k's being done like that, cool. What's your last one? I was on Garfield yesterday, That would be a great full moon summit.
Mike Bromberg did a version of that years ago, in his case he camped near most summits and mostly in winter as camping rules were laxer then - one of his guidelines was to violate no rules and he repeated some peaks where he inadvertently broke them

Cateyes did the NH48 and Adk46 by hiking at night, but wasn't necessarily on the summit at midnight

Awesome, congrats! I'm chipping away at the 48 at night, but my definition is just to be on the summit between sunset and sunrise--considerably more liberal criteria. Unfortunately I still have a dozen or so peaks that I just can't seem to accidentally find my way on top of at night. It's a neat list to see some peaks a bit differently. Having all of Franconia Ridge to yourself at night, for example, is beyond words...

Cheers!

Well I guess this is why you actually finish the list before posting. We changed plans at the last minute. On the long drive to the trail head (25 mins) I was amazed at how clear the sky was and how bright the moon lite the sky. I have promised myself for the last 2 years that on that one perfect night I would hike across Webster Cliffs. It has been a dream of mine for a long time and I could not resist the perfect setting for this once in a lifetime hike.

So I left my final peak for another night. I will repost when the list is finished.

nice!

Well I guess this is why you actually finish the list before posting. We changed plans at the last minute. On the long drive to the trail head (25 mins) I was amazed at how clear the sky was and how bright the moon lite the sky. I have promised myself for the last 2 years that on that one perfect night I would hike across Webster Cliffs. It has been a dream of mine for a long time and I could not resist the perfect setting for this once in a lifetime hike.

So I left my final peak for another night. I will repost when the list is finished.

like your 48 at midnight!! like the fact that peakbagging doesn't totally consume you and you prioritized doing webster cliff with a bright night sky over finishing the list, kudos!