Do hikers consume more beer than the average person?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a lot of running on back roads in Vermont. Probably 90% of the beer cans I see on the side of the road are Bud Light. Is Bud Light the most popular beer, or are Bud Light drinkers merely more likely to litter?

A friend of mine regularly picks them up on runs (she carries a plastic bag) and nets about $20/month.

Billy, I feel the same about soda. ;-)

Well, I guess this all helps explain why I like New England so much more than my home state. New Yorkers drink only slightly more beer than folks from Utah and about half as much as your average NH resident.

Of course, there's the Red Sox and Bruins as well. New England mountains don't hurt either but NY is OK on that front at least.

Try being a hiker AND a musician. That makes beer drinking nearly a constant activity.

I think I'm the exception to the rule. If there was a positive correlation to beer drinking and hiking I'd be have a lot more milages under my belt than....ahem...my winter insulation layer. :eek::D

StinkyFeet...it's called the Bud Can Theory. I have this formulated for years (well before there was Bud Light). The idea behind it, and it's been proven on many occasions, is that no matter where you are, how far off the grid you may be, you can always find a Bud Can. They used to always carry the metal strip down the side, but in time, those have become more rare.

Having spent many summers/winter breaks working as a surveyor doing recon/new development layouts, I was often tasked with getting to a new parcel that hadn't seen anyone (in theory) for decades (possibly centuries). Without fail, however, we'd come across a few signs of man, and always we'd find an old Bud Can. If you haven't come across it yet, it only means you haven't found it. Surely, it's there.

There is also the Dunkin' Donuts Cup Corrollary.

In maine on a variety of recon hikes, (bushwhacks to open ledges or slides or logging rd.'s etc.) in summer+fall, looking for new "bc" zones for snowboarding, I always find a can of budweiser somewhere! this past june walking success pd rd, in nh. i came across copious bud light cans and bottles.. with the huge increase in popularity of micro brews, why not the huge increase of litter of the micros? are bud drinkers more likely to litter than a micro brew drinker? I only drink micros and I don't litter....