Do hikers consume more beer than the average person?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sales per citizen are likely inflated by Massachusetts people buying tax free booze.

Can't speak for everyone, but I love beer. I love hiking. Not sure of the correlation, if any.

Sales per citizen are likely inflated by Massachusetts people buying tax free booze.

Any Mass resident who travels to NH to avoid sales tax on beer spends too much time drinking it, and not enough time paying attention. There's no sales tax on beer in MA, and the state excise tax on beer is lower in MA (0.11/gallon vs 0.30/gallon). We take our beer seriously. When the legislature passed a sales tax on beer a couple of years ago, we had a ballot initiative that repealed it almost immediately.

"Tax free" NH still manages to get revenue, they just hide it differently than other states.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/weekly-map-state-beer-excise-tax-rates-2013

Look where the most expensive beer in MLB comes from ;)

entry0000022_img001.png

Tim

Any Mass resident who travels to NH to avoid sales tax on beer spends too much time drinking it, and not enough time paying attention. There's no sales tax on beer in MA, and the state excise tax on beer is lower in MA (0.11/gallon vs 0.30/gallon). We take our beer seriously. When the legislature passed a sales tax on beer a couple of years ago, we had a ballot initiative that repealed it almost immediately.

"Tax free" NH still manages to get revenue, they just hide it differently than other states.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/weekly-map-state-beer-excise-tax-rates-2013

Ahh, good to know! I assumed beer and liquor were treated the same (and the report is about beer, so I can't even pretend I meant liquor). :)

Look where the most expensive beer in MLB comes from ;)

Tim

I've never accused Red Sox fans of bein smaaht.

I recently spent an afternoon watching the Orioles at Camden Yards, and had a major sad because I had to forego the [cheapish] beer. Maybe I need to go to LA.

One item that impacts the cost of beer is whether a state has a bottle/container law - NH doesn't, but many other states do. That cost can help offset a state's higher beer tax.

And to keep things in perspective - that bottle of beer that costs you $1 in the US will likely cost you $2 or more in Canada.

Any Mass resident who travels to NH to avoid sales tax on beer spends too much time drinking it, and not enough time paying attention.

so lessee here- the same package of my favorite beer costs $16.97 in NH- and $23.00 in MA out the door.
I guess I'm not paying attention!

so lessee here- the same package of my favorite beer costs $16.97 in NH- and $23.00 in MA out the door.
I guess I'm not paying attention!

What David said :)

Just saying it's not the (sales/excise) tax on beer that's making the difference. If that's a 12-pack, $0.60 goes to a deposit. If it's a case, it'd be a $1.20, which you can get back, or donate to the homeless guy who picks through your trash.

Of course, my current favorites are from Moat Mountain and Woodstock Inn, so I'm not buying those in MA anyway.

Getting back to the original question; I certainly hope hikers drink more beer then the average Joe.:)

Getting back to the original question; I certainly hope hikers drink more beer then the average Joe.:)

This question seems to imply that hikers are not average people, probably true since most hikers I know are not average. Read a trip report or two by the likes of Neil or PinPin and you can see how the averages could also be totally shifted towards the extreme. I wonder, are Neil and PinPin beer drinkers and to what degree?

I don't drink beer. Hate it, always have. Tastes like low tide. Find it odd that people drink it on purpose, willingly, for pleasure. Maybe that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan.

I drink beer and Bourbon and would like to think, I had a major impact in that study. In the words of LS, I've drank enough Bourbon to float a battleship around.:eek: