Osprey Packs - great customer service

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
The family 'outdoors room' has many Ospreys packs.
The zipper on a large panel loader caught deeply on the pack fabric and in trying to release it, I broke the pull and unzipped the zipper, damaging the teeth. A big deal with a large panel loader.
I called customer service and since it was my fault that I caught the zipper then broke it, inquired how much it would cost for them to repair it.
I was told it was under warranty regardless of how I damaged it and asked to send it back.
Out to the P.O. on 9/5, back at our front door on 9/13. Brand new zipper and the shredded hip belt pockets and balky zippers replaced as well.

Not only does Osprey make a great range of packs, their customer service ( round trip from NEUS to CO and return in 8 days) ain't too bad either.

Alan

I had a similar experience with Osprey - the material "rotted" in a pack, probably due to the strong UV light of the Eastern Sierra. They gave me $$ dollar credit for it, and allowed me to purchase a larger model for the price difference.

Also kudos to Gregory - had a Z30 and the stitching on the top of each shoulder strap was failing. After filling out the online problem worksheet prior to their issuing an RMA, I got an email to the effect that my pack was defective, and they were shipping me a new one. Was told to keep the old one, on which I was able to make repairs using rivets.

Hooray for good companies who stand behind their products.

I likewise had a great experience with them. I snapped one of the rods in the back of my pack (still not sure how). They replaced it for free within a week or so.

I've taken to using Osprey for my travel gear as well. I have a backpack, ski pack, computer bag, carry-on luggage, as well as a larger back I use for checked luggage. I've had two issues: My computer bag is ripped, because I grab it from the same spot every time I get in and out my car. Five years of the constant, unnatural position I grab it from caused the rip. Once it's bad enough, I'll toss it and buy a new one. Second, one of the wheels on my carry on broke a grommet. Same as Peakbagr, I called to find Repair costs, and all I had to pay was to ship it out there and I got it back within a few days. I would be OK with a nominal fee, as it could be argued it was a defective design vs. airline bagger mayhem, but the reality is this was a five-minute fix and a ten-cent part.

I'm a big fan of Osprey and their quality overall.

Nice to know! Between my son and I we have four Ospreys and probably will have a fifth one before next summer. As a 12 year old, he isn't the kindest to his packs, either.

I likewise had a great experience with them. I snapped one of the rods in the back of my pack (still not sure how). They replaced it for free within a week or so.

I'm just put my Stratos 32 in the mail for some maintenance. It has a busted buckle and the hip strap is worn out on the back. We'll see how it turns out!

I like my Kode 38 and find it to be an ideal winter pack.

I haven't had a need to contact them for repairs since it is a relatively new pack, but I was curious if anyone has had a customer service experience with Mammut.

These two brands are my favorites with Gregory coming in a very close second. I bought a Mountain Hardwear pack recently and returned it to the online retailer immediately. The quality was, in my opinion, extremely poor.

Any Mammut customer service reports out there? I love my Nirvana Ride 30 and I recently purchased the Xeron Shake 30 as well for warmer weather.

Z :D

I am so happy to hear the good reviews as I have just purchased my second Osprey pack. The new one is the Stratus 36 light weight pack. I haven't had it out yet, but it is ready to go.
I always hate the hassle of dealing with any customer service repairs as I am usually disappointed with the real lack of service one usually gets.
I have had no issues with my other pack. I guess a fine quality product is defined by a strong customer service policy.
MZ

Forget having packs that are designed well and backed with good customer service - Osprey packs are friggin' comfortable!
I've been using the same REI special for a decade, but picked up an Osprey Escapist this year as its better suited for bike-spotting day-hikes.
Unbelievably comfortable pack, not to mention I've never experienced weight distribution this good in a DAY pack.

I am glad to hear about Osprey's customer service. I own three of their packs and have not had a problem yet, which I am surprised about. I love Osprey packs and I feel they have features that I actually use.

On the other hand, Atlas snow-shoe is horrible and I will never purchase another pair of their shoes. Luckily EMS stepped in and gave me a store credit to remedy the situation.

I'll be sending my Osprey Aether 70 back shortly. It has a broken metal support rod that should be an easy fix and a zipper is pulling away from the fabric on the top compartment.

This will be my first time with customer service, but I do have to agree with most comments about the packs themselves. I felt like I had finally "made it" when I first used an Osprey. I had liked my other packs (Vaude, Kelty, etc.) but this was a whole new level of comfort. Carries weight well, comfortable belts and straps, lots of options for strapping larger packs down for smaller loads, good elastic netting side pockets for bottles, etc. Nothing but good to say about this pack anyway.

I'm just put my Stratos 32 in the mail for some maintenance. It has a busted buckle and the hip strap is worn out on the back. We'll see how it turns out!

Update: They couldn't repair it, but they have offered to send me any one of their Stratos bags as a replacement. I'm in a good mood. :)

I finally got around to sending my pack back to Osprey for repair.

It came back repaired, cleaned, with multiple new components in addition to torn fabric and broken frame rods being replaced/repaired.

Looks like a new pack.

Considering these packs are so comfortable and well designed and that customer service is out of this world, I don't envision owning anything but an Osprey unless that changes. I have two now.

We have 5 Osprey packs of different sizes and configurations, with the oldest 20 years old. The packs are the most comfortable of any I've ever worn and the customer service is A+.