Matthew Hickey. "RED-LINER" #22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, am I reading this correctly? This gent redlined the entire guide in 2013?!? Holy cow!

Brian

From Hiker Ed

# # #
On Sunday, October 13, 2013, Matthew Hickey became the
"TWENTY SECOND" ( #22 ) person to "RED-LINE" all the trails in the "AMC
White Mountain Guide" ( 29TH Edition ).

Matt has now walked every trail in the AMC White Mouintain Guide.

Matt's finish was on the Mt Tecumseh Trail , out of Waterville
Valley.

CONGRATULATIONS TO MATT!!!!!!!!

I know you will all join me in congratulations to Matt on his completion
of this fun & rewarding goal & achievement.

Note: Matt completed his goal, start to finish, in calendar year 2013,
in 193 days.

Thanks,

And, take care

Ed

Well, the 29th ed has 608 trails totaling 1440.4 miles so 1440.4 / 193 = ~7.5 miles per day. It's not clear if that was 193 calendar days or hiking days. Today is the 291st day of the year, so assuming he didn't hike for ~100 days, then it was probably 193 hiking days. It's also very likely he repeated some segments of trail to get all the smaller segments, so hiking 1440.4 miles of trails requires more than 1440.4 miles of hiking.

Tim

All those darn odd-numbered intersections and out-and back trails really add up. I would be curious was his final total was. I am guessing closer to 2k.

Well I might not be the best measure since many of my hikes were dual purpose. I have redlined about 225 miles in the past 12 months, but I have hiked closer to 350. Some of those hikes were for other people (48ers), where I snuck in pieces of redlining (like the Mizpah Cutoff, or The Horn spur). I am also doing it with a buddy, so we have both redone some sections to help the other. No traveling salesmen here.

Well, the 29th ed has 608 trails totaling 1440.4 miles so 1440.4 / 193 = ~7.5 miles per day. It's not clear if that was 193 calendar days or hiking days.
Tim

We ran into Swamp on Zeacliff Saturday when or after Matt was finishing on Tecumseh. Swamp said Matt, like, works one day and hikes 2.

Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations to Matt !

Hello everyone,
My name is Matthew Hickey and I was just given this user account and figured this is a good thread to start off in. So I did not work this summer. In total it took 193 days to complete my journey. I started counting miles on April 1st and walked my last trail on October 13th. I took a total of 23 zero days and I went to Colorado for another 7 days, so that means I hiked in the Whites for 163 days... meaning I hiked 9 virgin miles per day on average. Now, to get an idea as to how many actual miles I walked, I wasn't happy with myself unless I walked 12-18 miles and on several occasions I walked 30+ miles. I am going to guess that I hiked around 2,000 miles total.
To be honest anyone could do it you just have to treat it like a thru hike. If anyone has any questions let me know. Ill see you all in the woods.

Quite the feat! I think that's a record that will stand for a long time :)

So what was your longest day? How about hardest?

Well the hardest day was about 200 miles from my end goal, So my body was disintegrating by that time. I went up and down Algonquin Trail then drove to mead base hiked over Mt. Israel, out to Black Pd. up to Sandwich dome and down the other side to wrap around so i could go out what i thought was gonna be a nice easy Guinea Pd. trail however when i hit the beaver pond i wanted to be all purest so i bumbled around for hours going back and forth in and out of the half dozen ponds up and down snowmo paths and herd paths till i thought i was gonna spend the night out with nothing more than my fanny pack finely i found all the bits of trail old and new and slinked my way out to sandwich notch rd where i kissed the ground and prayed some one would drive down that old dirt rd and give me a ride however no one did and i wound up doing the beebe falls cow cave thing. the next day i did a near-o and started carrying more into the woods with me incase i did have to stay out unexpectedly. that day was not the longest or hardest day but it was the scariest because over and over again when i thought i could relax my emotions shattered once again.

the longest day was my last push seeing as i climbed cannon cliff via lake view and then carr mt and from 25c to 25a finally getting a ride from a friend back to my car and drove over to tecumseh for the final push. the funny thing is i did it like this because i have climbed all the 48 minus tecumseh only because that way i could rag on peak baggers who have never climbed mt chocorua do to its small stature. so i had to make tecumseh all that i could and i am glad i did

Congrats! Whats next? Redline in winter?:) let us know if you have gigs up north.it would be cool to hike and then catch a band....

Last edited:
Well the hardest day was about 200 miles from my end goal, So my body was disintegrating by that time. I went up and down Algonquin Trail then drove to mead base hiked over Mt. Israel, out to Black Pd. up to Sandwich dome and down the other side to wrap around so i could go out what i thought was gonna be a nice easy Guinea Pd. trail however when i hit the beaver pond i wanted to be all purest so i bumbled around for hours going back and forth in and out of the half dozen ponds up and down snowmo paths and herd paths till i thought i was gonna spend the night out with nothing more than my fanny pack finely i found all the bits of trail old and new and slinked my way out to sandwich notch rd where i kissed the ground and prayed some one would drive down that old dirt rd and give me a ride however no one did and i wound up doing the beebe falls cow cave thing. the next day i did a near-o and started carrying more into the woods with me incase i did have to stay out unexpectedly. that day was not the longest or hardest day but it was the scariest because over and over again when i thought i could relax my emotions shattered once again.

Cool story!!!! So many options redlining and so many ways "Just one more trail!" can lead to adventure!!!! Congrats!!!!

try Matthew Hickey Gorham nh in my profile pic i am mountaineering friend me. A wood friend is a good friend.