Freedom of the New England Hills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point, won't you run into the natural limits of New England?
Yes you most definitely will. You won't learn about glaciers or altitude in New England. The kinds of available climbing rock are limited. (Different kinds of rock require different climbing techniques.) There are a number of climates that do not exist in NE (eg deserts and rain forest).

The vast majority (perhaps everywhere) in NE is reachable from a road in a day or less which greatly reduces the commitment.

Visit the American and Canadian Rockies and the desert SW (to name just three places that are very different from NE) and you will see lots of things that you won't see in NE. And, of course, there are environments in the world that are not found in the US or Canada.

Doug

As far as goals and bucket lists, I don't think there is any doubt that setting a definite goal and following through on it forces you to increase your skills set. It's just a matter of picking or creating a list that matches up well with the skills you want to improve upon. If you want to be a better bushwhacker, pursue a goal that includes a lot of bushwhacking; if you want to improve glacier skills, pick a goal that takes you out of the Northeast; if you want to move beyond Class 1 and 2 hiking, then pursue a goal that forces you to go on steeper terrain.

It is all very individualistic. You see it on these forums all the time ... blanket statements to the effect that this thing or that thing is "the next level." Well, maybe for you, but not necessarily for me. Kinda goes back to my first post on this thread that real freedom of the hills is being able to ignore all the need to attach status to mountain pursuits and do whatever it is that YOU want to do.

Interesting thread.

And did you add items to your list (skills or trips) which you feel enables you to claim the Freedom of the New England Hills? I, for one, would enjoy seeing an ordered progression of skills or trips which would ultimately lead you to claim success. This is where I was going with the reference above to the Pemi Loop attempt in the blizzard... would you include that as a gate to achieving your Freedom of the New England Hills?
Yes, absolutely. For me it was/is an organic process, and I tend to separate my trips into two categories: those that are well within my abilities, and those with which I'm trying something new. I get bored and feel stagnant if I'm always doing the former, which is why I'll probably never Grid and may never even finish The 48. Given a choice, I generally prefer to learn something new. I don't pretend this is the One True Way to Hike or to live life, but this philosophy has led me to acquire a reasonably well-rounded foundation for being comfortable in a lot of different situations in the mountains. That said, I most certainly have not yet acquired The Freedom as I've defined it, but I'm getting there.

I can remember riding a chairlift at Loon or maybe Waterville sometime in the late '80's and seeing a sign on one of the stanchions that said, "Skiing: the better you get, the better it gets!" And then there was some advertisement about taking a lesson. Over the years, I've found that statement to be amazingly accurate with regard to skiing: as my ability increased, more terrain was available to me, and I continued to feel more comfortable and happy on skis, regardless of the terrain. Eventually, as long as the boards were strapped to my feet, I was happy. I've found a similar situation with hiking: as I've increased my skill set, I've become more comfortable and happy in a wide variety of situations, and more things are available to me.

An ordered progression of skills is a very interesting idea. If work continues to be slow :) perhaps I'll start a new thread on that subject. With additional input from some of the hard men and women on this site, I suspect we could come up with something pretty valuable: a way for a person to "know what they don't know." Speaking for myself, I can remember a time when I thought I "knew" map and compass. It wasn't until some folks (an AMC short course, matter of fact) showed me what those two items could actually do in skilled hands that I realized in fact I didn't know map and compass. There is value in knowing what you don't know. It could provide some direction to folks who want to take the next step in their development as a hiker.

You won't learn about glaciers or altitude in New England.
I think the other big one is exposed scrambling. Very tough to get experience with that one in the northeast, although I find roped class 5 climbing helps somewhat.

One more thing that's bothering me about my own tone is this thread (and then I'll shut up for a little while, I promise!): If it does it for you to just do day trips in the summer, or maybe you draw the line at 3-season backpacking, whatever, I have no problem with that. This "progression" bit is not, in my opinion, the One True Way to be an outdoorsperson. There is room in the Appalachians for a wide range of styles and ambition. And there is a lot to be said for knowing how far you want to take it and having the confidence to say, "I'm not interested in going further, and I don't care what other people think about it."

I think the other big one is exposed scrambling. Very tough to get experience with that one in the northeast, although I find roped class 5 climbing helps somewhat.

Exposed routes out west are the very reason I learned to rock climb before heading out west for the 14ers. I thought it I could climb 5.7 or so, I could easily solo exposed class 4 routes. I think it worked, although I have seen other rock climbers freeze un-roped on class 4 routes. Exposure and altitude affect people differently, to be frank training doesn't always help. I passed a triathalon winner just below 14,000ft who could not deal well with the altitude. While I had spent the night before drinking and smoking. Many 8000 meter climbers can attest to this, some bodies perform better at altitude, with little scientific data to prove why.
To another point in the thread, you have to be willing to leave your comfort zone to progress. I met a guy at work who had been climbing for 4 years and could not break the 5.7 barrier on lead. I offered to help, which he accepted. When we got to Cathedral ledge, I gave him the guidebook and said, " pick a 5.8 route". He looked at me and said I'm not sure I'm ready. I said from now on you only climb 5.8, learn as you go. Two months later he was leading 5.9.

There are places where one can do exposed scrambling in NE. However, there are bigger scrambling routes in other places (such as in western US). The NE mountains are old and small (on a global scale)--bigger versions of pretty much everything found in NE can be found elsewhere. Newer mountains are also generally more rugged.

My list was not intended to be all-inclusive. Some others left off were Antarctic and North Polar (sea) ice travel.

No single area includes everything.

The mountains may be small, but NE is in general rich enough that an outdoorsman can learn a variety of skills in a number activities (eg 3-season hiking, winter hiking, rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, flat water boating, white water boating, sailing, hunting, fishing, etc). One can use (and some have used) locally learned skills as stepping stones to a wider world.

Doug

There are places where one can do exposed scrambling in NE.

Isn't Huntington Ravine Trail a route that includes a fair amount of exposed scrambling, much less other routes up the wall of that ravine? Presumably one could scramble up Tuck's and other walls in the Presidential Range, as well. How about King Ravine and Jefferson's Knees?

Personally, I'd love to go up the Hillman's Highway slide in warm-weather conditions, as well as the Central part of the Ammo Ravine, up to the point where it joins the Crawford Path, at least. There would be some exposed scrambling on those routes, I believe.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd love to go up the Hillman's Highway slide in warm-weather conditions

Is Hillman's stable when not frozen? I suspect not, and I can imagine better places to scramble.

Freedom of the Hills is only attained when you go wherever you aspire to go with no regard for what anyone else thinks of it. Freedom from Ego is attained only when you speak of it to no one. Current list of completers stands at 0.

Puma comes closest to the heart of the matter. Or to paraphrase an old song, I would just add, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to prove."

What about killing a b’ar when you’re only 3?

Here’s another skill that would be handy to possess: being able to get from one end of Avalanche Lake (true, not in New England) to the other without using the hitch-up Matildas. Just swim around the cliffs.

Isn't Huntington Ravine Trail a route that includes a fair amount of exposed scrambling, much less other routes up the wall of that ravine? Presumably one could scramble up Tuck's and other walls in the Presidential Range, as well. How about King Ravine and Jefferson's Knees?
IMO HRT only involves a small amount of easy scrambling.

The N and S slides on the Tripyramids might be considered easy scrambling.

For most scrambling in the WMNF, you have to get off the trails. Some examples:
* Whitewall Mtn from Zealand Notch
* The slides on Webster Cliff.
* Perhaps the rock fan under Cannon Cliff

And yes, such areas often involve loose rock, the risk of rockfall, and the risk of a nasty fall. A rope (and someone who knows how to use it) can be helpful.

The only WMNF 4K summit that may require scrambling on its standard route is Owls Head. (I've never been on the Owls Head slide--I did it by a different route.) In contrast, it is my understanding that a number of the Colorado 14Ks require scrambling.

Doug

IMO HRT only involves a small amount of easy scrambling.

The N and S slides on the Tripyramids might be considered easy scrambling.

For most scrambling in the WMNF, you have to get off the trails. Some examples:
* Whitewall Mtn from Zealand Notch
* The slides on Webster Cliff.
* Perhaps the rock fan under Cannon Cliff

And yes, such areas often involve loose rock, the risk of rockfall, and the risk of a nasty fall. A rope (and someone who knows how to use it) can be helpful.

The only WMNF 4K summit that may require scrambling on its standard route is Owls Head. (I've never been on the Owls Head slide--I did it by a different route.) In contrast, it is my understanding that a number of the Colorado 14Ks require scrambling.

Doug
Two points you have made I couldn't agree more with. Firstly, I grew up in NH, the skillset I developed hiking and climbing here, provided me with all the tools I needed out west. Not only do we have some of the best rock climbing and ice climbing in the country, the weather here is really, fantastic for training for higher mountains. Secondly, you are correct in that the class 3 and class 4 routes on the 14ers in CO provide scrambling that you cannot find here. Some people have said that besides the elevation, there is not much different between the 4k's and the 14ers in CO. I answer this way, there are a number of 14ers, that have potential fatal falls when climbing their routes, ie. Marroon Bells, Pyramid, Little Bear and other's. In relation to some of the scrambling potential another poster suggested, the reason a lot of potential scrambling here is crappy, is that the rock is to beat up and loose, there is little solid rock to be found. I believe this is due to the fact that correct me if I'm wrong, the Whites have gone through two ice ages verses, one ice age for the Rockies. That in itself it a lot more wear and tear on the mountains.

To another point in the thread, you have to be willing to leave your comfort zone to progress.

...But you don't have to leave your comfort zone to have Freedom of the Hills.

Puma comes closest to the heart of the matter. Or to paraphrase an old song, I would just add, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to prove.

+1

Another factor for winter travel is the overnight lows.

I aborted a planned five day trip after one night a few years ago because the overnight low that first night was -18 F. That night and the next morning were a real eye opener & kind of scary even though I was camped pretty close to the Zealand Hut. Huge difference between the single digits and -18 F.

Exactly right, a big difference.

For me, once the bar is reset, either intentionally or unintentionally, my limits change. I have camped for 3 days and 2 nights in Quebec at -40° so now -10° isn't a big deal. I have hiked peaks at -35° without the wind chill (-50° with it), so 0° is not a big deal anymore. I've hiked peaks during a blizzard when the visibility was 20', so now some snow is not a big deal. What I once feared is no longer feared and instead accepted, but there is a level of intelligence that takes those conditions into account. Would I have been more or less 'hardcore' if I'd done them in a speedo vs appropriate winter gear? How do you quantify and set these parameters then? How do you define fear?

hikerbrian said:
...what you get to do is stand on the top of Lafayette or maybe Isolation or any other prominent peak in any season and look all around you with the knowledge that anything you can see is attainable to you. You're only limited by your imagination for new routes and objectives. It's all available to you. That's the "Freedom of the New England Hills" that I'm talking about.

What you're describing is attitude and confidence, I can already do this. I have been lost before, truly lost, and when you accept and learn from that experience, the rest is academic. Do I feel the need to prove myself to accept the premise of "Freedom of the Hills"? Is that what we're discussing? Is it the training and learning necessary to gain said "Freedom"? How you keep your head when conditions turn on you, forcing you into potentially life threatening choices, is what marks the measure of attitude and confidence, along with knowing how to avoid those choices. For me, ego has little to do with it and plays no part in my Freedom Seeking. When I hike (or bike, or ski, or anything else enjoyable), I am free. I am doing what I want when I want and where I want. I have the confidence that if I decided to take a left at the top of Isolation and head off the beaten path, even in winter, I could do it. Have I? Not yet, but I may at some point if it strikes my fancy.

I learned early on that I can do anything (within the laws of the universe, of course). If it can be done, I can do it. If I can't be done, it just means no one yet has figured out a way to do it, so it can still be done.

Great discussion and a great topic.

...To another point in the thread, you have to be willing to leave your comfort zone to progress...

You also have to be willing to leave your family / loved ones for significant chunks of time. I hate to point out the elephant in the room, but this hobby of ours can be an extremely selfish one. Most (all?) hobbies are by their very nature selfish. However if your hobby is piano, or reading, or woodworking, then your family is probably, at most, two rooms or two floors away. But playing in the mountains involves longs drives and a decent amount of risk. And looking at the outings listed in the first post, now you're talking some serious driving, risk, and multiples days away from home, in questionable weather. Not trying to get all Oprah on you, but it takes a certain amount of selfishness to do these things on a regular basis. Of course everyone's family situation and social situation is unique. But doing enough rock climbing and ice climbing to get somewhat good at it, and doing multi-day winter backpacks, etc....these things are not rocket science, most people could do them given the time. But there's a serious time commitment involved. When someone spends the weekend playing in the mountains, there's probably a good chance there's a person (or people) back at home feeling lonely and worried. Sure, some families climb/hike/backpack together, but let's face it, most don't. Freedom of the hills, like any freedom, comes with a price.

This is an interesting thread to me and a popular one considering it is not the season for cabin fever. I think the title is a misnomer and misleading to the topic. As nice a ring it has, it has nothing to do with freedom and nothing to do with hills. Mind you, I have no objection to some of the snobbery that comes across in setting extreme goals, being an unapologetic snob myself about some things, but I do object to setting some sort of elitism to our sport and calling it a name associated with freedom combined with the quaint image of hills. Poetic yes, descriptive no.

If by freedom, you mean the ability and will to traverse the area without regard to borders and terrain, the self sufficiency to be independent of the umbilical cord of civilization, the physical attributes to withstand the prolonged exposure to the worse of weather and physical exertion, then you might add survivalist or hermit to the list.

Maybe someone else can come up with a more appropriate title for the thread ... a witty one perhaps ... but one closer to the subject and if you choose these types of sport, and have any responsibilities in life, then have fun and heed Billy's advice.

I think the title is a misnomer and misleading to the topic. As nice a ring it has, it has nothing to do with freedom and nothing to do with hills.
I suspect it comes from the titles of one or more mountaineering books.

A bushwhack is an excellent suggestion, definitely an oversight on my first list.
Depending on what list you use, there are ~2000 peaks in NH and the only ones that _require_ climbing to reach the summit are glacial erratics that people usually pile logs against to get up :)

On the other hand, maybe half require some degree of bushwhacking which is the true freedom to go where you wish :)