Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Freedom of the New England Hills

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is climbing like that possible solo? Did you ever do that? I guess my biggest hurdle to doing it is whether or not it can be done without leaving thousands of $$$ in climbing stuff screwed to the walls behind me. Could become a costly hobby (and a hidden bonanza for anyone climbing behind me )
    I took a class with a guide to learn how to rope solo, but I decided after a few climbs it wasn't for me. All my technical climbing was done with partners. I rarely left gear behind, but I have in dire situations like the climb I described on Poko-Moonshine. On that day, I was glad to leave it to get the heck off the wall. I was lucky in that I always found gear. I did a route on Cannon once that someone had rappelled in what I can only guess was a bad day. I found 4 fixed rappel anchors as I climbed, probably over 200 bucks worth of gear. I also carried old chocks and hexes that were marked for leaving behind when needed. A lot of the times, you can get away with just leaving webbing and a few biners. The only routes I solo are snow climbs and class 3 and 4 routes out west. There is fall potential, but the routes were well within my skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I took a class with a guide to learn how to rope solo, but I decided after a few climbs it wasn't for me. All my technical climbing was done with partners. I rarely left gear behind, but I have in dire situations like the climb I described on Poko-Moonshine. On that day, I was glad to leave it to get the heck off the wall. I was lucky in that I always found gear. I did a route on Cannon once that someone had rappelled in what I can only guess was a bad day. I found 4 fixed rappel anchors as I climbed, probably over 200 bucks worth of gear. I also carried old chocks and hexes that were marked for leaving behind when needed. A lot of the times, you can get away with just leaving webbing and a few biners. The only routes I solo are snow climbs and class 3 and 4 routes out west. There is fall potential, but the routes were well within my skillset.
    I would definitely need classes. I've read of solo attempts on stuff so I figured there must be a method for doing without leaving tons of gear but it never got into specifics like that. I doubt I'd do huge routes like up Cannon but I'd like to some day be able to bushwhack around and have the ability to attack some smaller formations to climb a trail-less knob a remote slide or whatever. I plan to bushwhack a lot this year when Winter ends so I guess I'll reevaluate after I've seen the types of issues I run into and whether it is worth pursuing.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

I figured out this past summer that technical climbing isn't fun for me anymore. Not right now, anyway. It's not something I can do casually and still feel safe, and I don't have the time/desire to really commit. And I'm ok with that.

I will say, however, that nothing has made me a better, safer SCRAMBLER than technical climbing. Before I started climbing, I had no idea how to judge how difficult and dangerous anything beyond hiking was. Now I understand quite clearly the difference between class 2 (fun!), 3 (fun or scary, depending on how heavy my pack is), 4 (terrifying), and 5 (I'm taking a rope), and what I'm comfortable and safe doing. There is a lot of value in that. For me, gaining competence in the technical stuff is what made me competent with the non-technical stuff. It's probably analagous to the way hiking and backpacking in the winter makes you a better 3-season hiker. After you've been out in some dicey winter situations, nothing in the summer is scary. Ok, except lightning. That's still scary.
    Sure. Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    As much as I'd like to try technical climbing with ropes, hardware and all that stuff I think maybe the risk/reward ratio is beyond what I would attempt now. Too conservative I guess. Certainly not taking it off the table yet though.
    It could be fun: http://exumguides.com/ublminxportfolios/grand-classic/
    Last edited by jfb; 02-04-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post

climbers definitions:
    * solo = climbing alone
    * free solo = climbing alone without protection (ie no ropes, carabiners, nuts, pitons, etc)
    * anchors (protection) = attachments to the rock (eg nuts and pitons) which anchor the rope going to the climbers
    * fixed anchors/protection = protection left in place for other climbers
    * leader = the one who goes first, placing protection as needed
    * second = the one who goes second, generally cleaning (removing) the protection as he goes
    * clean climbing = climbing leaving no (minimal) gear or trace behind

Doug
    Perhaps irrelevant to this discussion, but I'll add the following two definitions because they didn't exist back when I (briefly) climbed, and it took me a long time to figure out what was meant:

*trad = "traditional" climbing...no protection at the beginning, you place all your own as you go
    *sport = sport climbing...protection permanently attached to the rock (by drilling/epoxying, etc.) that the climber clips into (certainly the antithesis of "leave no trace". )
    Crags are usually one or the other.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991