Bad knees but still spending $ to hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Why did I just buy another sleeping bag? Finally got a nice 0F down bag (Marmot) to use to go hiking/camping. I'm 53 y/o...had a knee replacement app 3 years ago. Probably need one for the other knee soon and I spent almost $400 :eek: on a lightweight bag. It seems that this fun hobby I started about 10 years ago is enjoyable. I like hanging out with people, going places and seeing different sights. I guess that my thirst for going out and having fun will make me forget about the pain. I also think that I will continue to see the views form the bottom and enjoy that. If I can't go to the top I can still go snowshoeing, sled pulling and enjoy a nice campout down low. Thanks for listening...I do have to say that my banker (wife) is the best. I shouldn't have bought the bag but I've been thinking about it for years this time of the year. I tried not to but it because I have a -40F NF down bag that I know is overkill in most areas but it's 10 years old and probably worth $200, so why sell it? Hopefully I will do one of those Baxter trips one winter. Might not make it up to Kathadin but I can still enjoy the great outdoors. Also I can be the cook and get food ready for the group on their way back! Everyone loves the chef!

From Tom Rankin via Albert Camus, “In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter”!

Snow is quite possibly worse that crack. Let me know when you might head to NH. Lots of other sub-4000' trails.
Heck we could even have my boys drive us in on their snowmobiles :eek:.

... and there are tons of other opportunities to sleep outside in the winter without too much hiking. I cold think of alternatives such as pitching a nice winter tent next to a nice frozen lake and enjoy a weekend of ice fishing with buddies, skiing to Zealand Hut - you'll need a winter bag to sleep in the refrigerated bunks :), testing winter tent outside your house during fierce snowstorm :), snowmobilling winter camping, there are even winter hammocking hangs all over the country...you could spend more money and buy winter hammocking stuff and use your sleeping bag instead of top quilt in the hammock. etc etc... enjoy the outdoors, life is short! :)

You beat me mentioning ice fishing. A great time out (if it is not windy) catching fish, drinking beer, cooking out and camping. And the beer never gets warm either! Keep on planning David!
-Tony

There are some pretty enjoyable flat trails and logging roads that are a blast to explore - without the crowds of the 4K's - at whatever pace you want!

(NOTE: I am certainly fortunate to not have big knee/leg issues YET, but, have had injuries on and off for several years)

Life is short! I agree!

Chip, I'm hoping to go to NH weekend of Dec21st plus other times.
Tony, winter fishing! whoo hoo! Can we use our Pungo's? (Actually took a 6hr paddle leadership training class through their NY/NJ chapter yesterday)

Thanks for sharing everyone...This site is great.
PS, What happened to the winter gatherings? It was fun. Gave me a chance to see all those neat places and I miss those Schnizzy (sp?) burgers!