Winter Gathering NH Barnes Field February 21-23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
ok, here goes...

It short words, I had the greatest time in my life app 8 years ago when I went on the vftt winter gathering at Barnes Field in NH. I'm sure there are people out there who want to go but are a little nervous about what to expect. I will do my part by calling up Barnes Field to find out about permits and other logistics. Maybe the experienced ones out there could help out with some hikes. Have a nice camp fire if possible. I'm just an average Joe that would like to experience the fun all over again. Pete Hicky playing guitar around the fire, Bring back the Chair! The weekend after that is the ADK winter weekend so maybe the dates I picked aren't so good. If someone else has ideas please post them so maybe I can join in on the fun. I don't mind helping out any possible way I can. I heard it's first come first served at the camp site, I will call them in the next week.

When: Friday February 21 - Sunday 23
Where: Hopefully Barnes Field to camp out but I'm sure you could find the local motels or Hostels to stay in.

Hikes? Easy ---moderate---difficult.....I would do a nice moderate hike and smell the roses! OK, last time I fell for the "volcanic ash" comment...and yes I did believe him for a few seconds on top of Pierce. That's how amazed I was when on the top. I'm not ashamed to say that story at all. Best to all...David

Very cool! Count me in for at least one night.I am good for some firewood and beer[mostly for tim:D].Thank you for taking this cause up.Please remember,No out of state firewood!!!Gorham has plenty of overflow places to stay if the field fills up...

Last edited:
Maybe we can try to get somebody on all ADK46 and NH48 summits!!! :)

I most likely will be headed to the ADK winter gathering...

Jay

I have a trip to Jay Peak booked that weekend. It's too bad, I have fond memories of those gatherings and would definitely have taken part if not for the conflict. I hope a lot of people go and you all have a great time!!!

FYI - The ADK winter gathering is the weekend following (2/28-3/2 2014).

Tim

Yep, I know about that. That's a difficult one for me because it's tough to drive the 250 miles Friday night, hike and have fun Saturday and then drive home Sunday. :(

I have off the week of Feb 17-21 for presidents week and thought I could get up to NH possibly Feb 20, relax and do a nice moderate hike or just a site seeing hike that Friday, hike and relax Saturday night and then do the long drive home Sunday. The weekend before is Presidents week and I don't think it would be easy for me or others to leave on Feb 14th Valentine's Day. That might make it a little uncomfortable with da boss! (wife of 28 years :mad:)

Very cool! Count me in for at least one night.I am good for some firewood and beer[mostly for tim:D].Thank you for taking this cause up.Please remember,No out of state firewood!!!Gorham has plenty of overflow places to stay if the field fills up...

Can you give more details on the "overflow places" I would like to write it down for myself. Thanks

I won't know for sure until about a few days before the gathering but tentatively I'd love to go.
:)

I called Barnes Field today. First come first served. $10 each vehicle. I asked "what if 3 people are in the car with 3 tents?" Same reply, $10 per vehicle. Warming tent is fine. Campfires are allowed, keep it safe. Dogs allowed on leach. They plow 11 sites and others do use them. $ goes into an envelope and deposited into a drop box to be collected. Respect the place. So if all goes as planned months from now, I'm hoping to get up there on Thursday with my nephew and other friend or two. Happy Thanksgiving!

Can you give more details on the "overflow places" I would like to write it down for myself. Thanks
I have stayed at the colonial fort inn,
the grand view in Jefferson and White birches campground[which is open for winter].A lot of places have closed the last few years in that area.It seems in general real easy to find inexpensive lodging in the Gorham area during winter.Maybe peakbagger has some updated info? Hope this helps

coldfeet; Warming tent is fine. Campfires are allowed said:
oops, this sounds like we're having a camp fire INSIDE the warming tent, no, no, no... Camp fire is somewhere else at a site. When I went to the gathering years ago some people had portable heaters inside the warming tent that were I believe connected to propane tanks that were outside the tent. Tables were set up in the tent and the large white gas stoves were inside there cooking food. I can remember it like yesterday.

Thanks for overflow info, it's great for many people.

that was one of the best weekends of my life. met so many great friends. i would love to go. i think it was jan 2005.

My observations from the past is the NF is quite casual about the arrangement, those camping over tend to be checked but visitors rarely are.

Michael, great pics...didn't get to view all of them but it brought back some nice memories...Thanks...also saw a picture of Dawn Hamilton and not knowing her then it's funny how I completed 5 states of her www.viewsandbrews.com list years later.

I am glad to be the provider of nostalgia. :)
And also of what the "warming tent" was!

Very tempting. Jan 15, 2005 - First 4K up Pierce on a crisp beautiful day led by Carole. Met a lot of current friends for the first time that night at the gathering. Set a lot of foolish things in motion.

Kudos for suggesting this, coldfeet. It'd be great to see you again.

Seems just like yesterday...will never forget the hike the day before my "beginner" snowshoe hike with Carol also. The newbi here learned what "trail breaking" was from the experienced ones. I'm thinking they set me up, but all was good. So many nice folks. I wonder if others will volunteer their time and experience to help others again with beginner hikes? As it gets closer maybe some veteran hikers from the area will chime in. Hope we get to hang out again.