Winter Gathering NH Barnes Field February 21-23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember all, there are other options nearby for accommodations in Gorham, although moderation would be recommended for those driving into town. The somewhat basic Hiker Paradise is open year round, it may be beat but its warm and plenty of room to spread out. There are a couple of motels in town, Town and Country and the Royalty. Sadly the Madison is now seasonal and closed in the winter.

Remember all, there are other options nearby for accommodations in Gorham, although moderation would be recommended for those driving into town. The somewhat basic Hiker Paradise is open year round, it may be beat but its warm and plenty of room to spread out. There are a couple of motels in town, Town and Country and the Royalty. Sadly the Madison is now seasonal and closed in the winter.

Could you possibly pm me some phone numbers, going up there this Saturday. Will also call up Barnes Field and possibly test out the grounds for the night. Supposed to stay at Carter Hut Sunday night with others. Thanks

I don't think I need to PM phone numbers as it is general info and I have no stake in anyone one of them

Hikers Paradise (Colonial Fort Inn) - Bare bones accommodations in an old apartment furnished in salvage store type furniture. They also have tourist cabins. There is a full kitchen and multiple rooms. Think of campus housing in college. 603-466-2732. I don't know their current rates but its generally the least cost.

Royalty Inn - Close to restaurants, about 2/3rds of the rooms are conventional motel units you can drive up to. It is currently the most popular choice in town. There is a very nice health club attached. 800-437-3529

Town and Country in Shelburne used to be the most popular in the area, but its getting a bit worn down. They do have an indoor pool, it tends to get a youth and college groups. If we get snow, they gets lots of snowmobile
traffic at all hours. 1-800-325-4386. They have an onsite restaurant but most would head into Gorham

The Royalty and Town and Country are equal distances from Barnes Field. Watch you manners driving into town as you drive right by the police station to access either one of them. As many have noted Gorham has the rep of being a speed trap and there is new state trooper setting up speed traps that is out constantly on Rt 2 usually in Gorham and Randolph

Breakfast spots are hard to find, currently Welches on Main Street is open weekends, plus McDonalds and BK are nearby. White Mountain Café next to McDonalds has high end coffee and some breakfast options. There are options in Berlin but its a long drive out of the way for most.

Thanks Peakbagger... staying at a vftt members place Sat night. Going to hike up the 19 mile trail and sleep over at the hut. My nephew MattD and Liz (need a trail name) will do some peak bagging while I bag some ice for my knees and read a good book. Looking forward to some NE views and cool weather.

Mount Surprise is a worthwhile target - on the way up to Moriah from Bangor Road on the Carter-Moriah Trail. Imp Face is on the 52 with a view list (have not been there myself). Both of these are "across the street."

Tim

Pine mountain from Gorham is a nice hike with great views, The trailhead is bit difficult to find. Drive to the end of Promedade street and park along at the cemetery. Keep walking west along the extension of the road with the cemetery on your right. Go past the gate and walk through the woods for a few minutes until you come out to a gravel pit and the trail head sign is on you left. The trail runs up through the woods and comes out on the pipeline right of way, turn right and hike about a 100 yards (roughly west) and you will see a woods road heading into the woods with snowmobile trail signs. Follow it through the woods and in about 15 minutes the trail turns right off the road and off the snowmobile trail. The trail skirts the summer camps on top of the mountain. Chapel rock to you left as you enter the developed area is worth visiting but it will be icy. Then there are outlooks that diverge to you left that give you views from the top of the ledges that look down RT 16 towards Pinkham Notch. The view on the summit is growing in but still has unusual view of Madison. When ascending, follow the main path down to the summer camp and go straight across the clearing keeping the dining hall to your left. Follow the path north past various cabins and it will dead end on another summit and a lean to with a great view west, When you come down to the dining hall follow the road left and you will intersect the trail down. It also can be approached from Dolly Copp road but its a very long road walk as the road is closed in the winter.

Mt Hayes via the Mahoosuc trail is nice one with mascot pond and the viewpoint above it worth the diversion. It also can be approach from Shelburne via the Centennial Trail (the AT). There are numerous trails in Randolph and of course Imp face just across RT 16 is a nice short one.

I'm pretty sure all sites have a metal fire ring...grading just by views, Imp comes out on top, followed by Mt. Surprise and then Pine Mt. For a fast get away day hike, Lookout Ledge via the Ledge Trail in Randolph has nice views into King Ravine and surrounding 4ks and other smaller mts...maybe the local vftters will show up with some donated firewood!!

I'm pretty sure all sites have a metal fire ring......maybe the local vftters will show up with some donated firewood!!

Didn't notice the fire rings when we drove around, hopefully they're not to buried under snow or ice...I will buy some wood from locals near there...wish we had a warming tent like Sherpa provided years ago..it was a serious carport type... I was thinking about some type of Home Depot tarp but i'm not to sure on what that would really do. Need to think about a wind blocker to keep the stoves going. Any suggestions?

MattD, I'll keep your hike in mind. Any views?

Last edited:
Getting closer. Getting a lot of snow down here in the NYC area. Hopefully we don't have school closings and they take away my February vacation up there. Still planning on arriving up Thursday mid afternoon. Hike on Friday and hopefully Saturday depending on weather. Please chime in if your around that weekend. Maybe some veterans can help show the newbie's around?

I'm in!...if it's not too cold ;)

Cold, come on man, remember the -17F in the Catskills and we both forgot the tent! :eek: Will lend you the Goliath to double up your bag. My daughters school just lost that Friday of the Presidents week vacation. Glad I work for the "city that never sleeps" for now.:rolleyes:

I know bro...just kidding LOL!
Expecting the worst :eek:
Did I see something about fires in this thread? Rings iced in? Ouch. I have a fire pit that stands off the ground about 8 inches. Should I bring it?

I know bro...just kidding LOL!
Expecting the worst :eek:
Did I see something about fires in this thread? Rings iced in? Ouch. I have a fire pit that stands off the ground about 8 inches. Should I bring it?

Yep, thinking the same thing about bringing a fire ring, talk to you later about it.

IndianChris and I will set up a tarp/shelter hopefully Thursday late afternoon/evening. It's possible that on the way up there (coming from downstate NY) we will hike some type of volcanic ring near there. We will bring up some type of fire ring (I imagine the camp grounds are frozen over) and have a nice warming fire going on. Maybe some pot luck appetizers on Saturday night also. Come by if your in the area. Still not to sure about the hike for Friday but we will join MattD on Saturday, (at least part of it for me :)

Sounds good, remember this time some good food for cooking. Wonder if JayH will show up if he hears the "iron skillet" is already packed for the trip!