Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gathering NH Barnes Field February 21-23

My observations from the past is the NF is quite casual about the arrangement, those camping over tend to be checked but visitors rarely are.

Michael, great pics...didn't get to view all of them but it brought back some nice memories...Thanks...also saw a picture of Dawn Hamilton and not knowing her then it's funny how I completed 5 states of her www.viewsandbrews.com list years later.

I am glad to be the provider of nostalgia.
    And also of what the "warming tent" was!
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Very tempting. Jan 15, 2005 - First 4K up Pierce on a crisp beautiful day led by Carole. Met a lot of current friends for the first time that night at the gathering. Set a lot of foolish things in motion.

Kudos for suggesting this, coldfeet. It'd be great to see you again.

Seems just like yesterday...will never forget the hike the day before my "beginner" snowshoe hike with Carol also. The newbi here learned what "trail breaking" was from the experienced ones. I'm thinking they set me up, but all was good. So many nice folks. I wonder if others will volunteer their time and experience to help others again with beginner hikes? As it gets closer maybe some veteran hikers from the area will chime in. Hope we get to hang out again.

Remember all, there are other options nearby for accommodations in Gorham, although moderation would be recommended for those driving into town. The somewhat basic Hiker Paradise is open year round, it may be beat but its warm and plenty of room to spread out. There are a couple of motels in town, Town and Country and the Royalty. Sadly the Madison is now seasonal and closed in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Remember all, there are other options nearby for accommodations in Gorham, although moderation would be recommended for those driving into town. The somewhat basic Hiker Paradise is open year round, it may be beat but its warm and plenty of room to spread out. There are a couple of motels in town, Town and Country and the Royalty. Sadly the Madison is now seasonal and closed in the winter.

Could you possibly pm me some phone numbers, going up there this Saturday. Will also call up Barnes Field and possibly test out the grounds for the night. Supposed to stay at Carter Hut Sunday night with others. Thanks

I don't think I need to PM phone numbers as it is general info and I have no stake in anyone one of them

Hikers Paradise (Colonial Fort Inn) - Bare bones accommodations in an old apartment furnished in salvage store type furniture. They also have tourist cabins. There is a full kitchen and multiple rooms. Think of campus housing in college. 603-466-2732. I don't know their current rates but its generally the least cost.

Royalty Inn - Close to restaurants, about 2/3rds of the rooms are conventional motel units you can drive up to. It is currently the most popular choice in town. There is a very nice health club attached. 800-437-3529

Town and Country in Shelburne used to be the most popular in the area, but its getting a bit worn down. They do have an indoor pool, it tends to get a youth and college groups. If we get snow, they gets lots of snowmobile
    traffic at all hours. 1-800-325-4386. They have an onsite restaurant but most would head into Gorham

The Royalty and Town and Country are equal distances from Barnes Field. Watch you manners driving into town as you drive right by the police station to access either one of them. As many have noted Gorham has the rep of being a speed trap and there is new state trooper setting up speed traps that is out constantly on Rt 2 usually in Gorham and Randolph

Breakfast spots are hard to find, currently Welches on Main Street is open weekends, plus McDonalds and BK are nearby. White Mountain Café next to McDonalds has high end coffee and some breakfast options. There are options in Berlin but its a long drive out of the way for most.

Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
    Stayed at Hiker's Paradise a number of times and would not hesitate to do so again.
    Appearances are not everything, it just looks like they are.

Thanks Peakbagger... staying at a vftt members place Sat night. Going to hike up the 19 mile trail and sleep over at the hut. My nephew MattD and Liz (need a trail name) will do some peak bagging while I bag some ice for my knees and read a good book. Looking forward to some NE views and cool weather.

Mount Surprise is a worthwhile target - on the way up to Moriah from Bangor Road on the Carter-Moriah Trail. Imp Face is on the 52 with a view list (have not been there myself). Both of these are "across the street."

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Pine mountain from Gorham is a nice hike with great views, The trailhead is bit difficult to find. Drive to the end of Promedade street and park along at the cemetery. Keep walking west along the extension of the road with the cemetery on your right. Go past the gate and walk through the woods for a few minutes until you come out to a gravel pit and the trail head sign is on you left. The trail runs up through the woods and comes out on the pipeline right of way, turn right and hike about a 100 yards (roughly west) and you will see a woods road heading into the woods with snowmobile trail signs. Follow it through the woods and in about 15 minutes the trail turns right off the road and off the snowmobile trail. The trail skirts the summer camps on top of the mountain. Chapel rock to you left as you enter the developed area is worth visiting but it will be icy. Then there are outlooks that diverge to you left that give you views from the top of the ledges that look down RT 16 towards Pinkham Notch. The view on the summit is growing in but still has unusual view of Madison. When ascending, follow the main path down to the summer camp and go straight across the clearing keeping the dining hall to your left. Follow the path north past various cabins and it will dead end on another summit and a lean to with a great view west, When you come down to the dining hall follow the road left and you will intersect the trail down. It also can be approached from Dolly Copp road but its a very long road walk as the road is closed in the winter.

Mt Hayes via the Mahoosuc trail is nice one with mascot pond and the viewpoint above it worth the diversion. It also can be approach from Shelburne via the Centennial Trail (the AT). There are numerous trails in Randolph and of course Imp face just across RT 16 is a nice short one.

It's almost February!

I'm pretty sure all sites have a metal fire ring...grading just by views, Imp comes out on top, followed by Mt. Surprise and then Pine Mt. For a fast get away day hike, Lookout Ledge via the Ledge Trail in Randolph has nice views into King Ravine and surrounding 4ks and other smaller mts...maybe the local vftters will show up with some donated firewood!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty E View Post
    I'm pretty sure all sites have a metal fire ring......maybe the local vftters will show up with some donated firewood!!
    Didn't notice the fire rings when we drove around, hopefully they're not to buried under snow or ice...I will buy some wood from locals near there...wish we had a warming tent like Sherpa provided years ago..it was a serious carport type... I was thinking about some type of Home Depot tarp but i'm not to sure on what that would really do. Need to think about a wind blocker to keep the stoves going. Any suggestions?

MattD, I'll keep your hike in mind. Any views?
    Last edited by coldfeet; 01-28-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: forgot something