Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gathering NH Barnes Field February 21-23

All sites have fire rings. I expect they are iced in.

Getting closer. Getting a lot of snow down here in the NYC area. Hopefully we don't have school closings and they take away my February vacation up there. Still planning on arriving up Thursday mid afternoon. Hike on Friday and hopefully Saturday depending on weather. Please chime in if your around that weekend. Maybe some veterans can help show the newbie's around?

MattD, good to hear from you, will check out maps for your hike.

I'm in!...if it's not too cold
    HEY!!!
    Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianChris View Post
    I'm in!...if it's not too cold

Cold, come on man, remember the -17F in the Catskills and we both forgot the tent! Will lend you the Goliath to double up your bag. My daughters school just lost that Friday of the Presidents week vacation. Glad I work for the "city that never sleeps" for now.

I know bro...just kidding LOL!
    Expecting the worst
    Did I see something about fires in this thread? Rings iced in? Ouch. I have a fire pit that stands off the ground about 8 inches. Should I bring it?
    HEY!!!
    Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianChris View Post
    I know bro...just kidding LOL!
    Expecting the worst
    Did I see something about fires in this thread? Rings iced in? Ouch. I have a fire pit that stands off the ground about 8 inches. Should I bring it?
    Yep, thinking the same thing about bringing a fire ring, talk to you later about it.

IndianChris and I will set up a tarp/shelter hopefully Thursday late afternoon/evening. It's possible that on the way up there (coming from downstate NY) we will hike some type of volcanic ring near there. We will bring up some type of fire ring (I imagine the camp grounds are frozen over) and have a nice warming fire going on. Maybe some pot luck appetizers on Saturday night also. Come by if your in the area. Still not to sure about the hike for Friday but we will join MattD on Saturday, (at least part of it for me

Sounds good, remember this time some good food for cooking. Wonder if JayH will show up if he hears the "iron skillet" is already packed for the trip!

Is Dolly Copp road open to Barnes Field from the 16?
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

Yes it is always....

Go figure, i plan this 3 months ago and it's going to rain on Friday. Hmmm, just like the gathering 9 years ago. Madtownie, skimom, Poison Ivy,hikerBob, remember that crazy rainy freezing day? Still going up Thursday. Looks like possibly Mt Waumbeck (sp?) on Friday.

Saturday might be ok weatherwise... I took a spin in today and you have most short driveways to the sites plowed out but could only see one fire ring shoveled out...a few picnic tables cleared off too...don't forget your shovel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty E View Post
    Saturday might be ok weatherwise... I took a spin in today and you have most short driveways to the sites plowed out but could only see one fire ring shoveled out...a few picnic tables cleared off too...don't forget your shovel!!
    Thx for update...shovel already packed...also have a fire ring in a plastic bag, was going to tie onto roof tomorrow morning...looks like rain Friday afternoon, hope to do an early hike that morning...stop by if your free Saturday..going to hike with MattD also on Sat, your welcome to join..slow and steady group.

Just stopped by Barnes and met Coldfeet, MOC (ADKHP) and Lefty E who like me was just visiting. I've hiked with CF before, but nice to meet you guys.

Ed