NH Fire Tower List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that would effect the completion of numerous lists beyond just firetowers. i got the impression that "highpointers" would be let in to get to croydon regardless of the caretaker, but that may not be the case.
I doubt that any organized group of hikers will get special access

The Highpointers Club in the past has dodged private land issues by decreeing alternate highpoints that are publicly accessible, in DE, RI deliberately and IN, FL by default

EdH has pretty much decided to "footnote" one NH lookout site now occupied by a private home, he can do the same with Croydon if necessary

Question about Attitash-Bear Peak Tower site:

http://www.firelookout.org/lookouts/nh/attitash.htm

Anyone know where this was? Is it somewhere near the current Bear Peak pod at Attitash? The ski area website lists Bear Peak at 2050' whereas the tower website (see above) lists the peak as 2504'. When I was at the top of the Bear Peak ski pod last spring, I didn't see any herd paths into the woods and the woods looked pretty thick in there.

Is there some other subpeak above the ski area?

Thanks for any help!!!

Anyone know where this was? Is it somewhere near the current Bear Peak pod at Attitash? The ski area website lists Bear Peak at 2050' whereas the tower website (see above) lists the peak as 2504'. When I was at the top of the Bear Peak ski pod last spring, I didn't see any herd paths into the woods and the woods looked pretty thick in there.

Is there some other subpeak above the ski area?

Thanks for any help!!!
We were told that it's the peak called Little Attitash.

Bear Peak is about 2280' tall, but the ski site is talking about the top of the ski lift: 2050' looks about right for that.

As for the tower website, it's a bit confusing. 2504' is the height of the top of Little Attitash Mtn (about 1/3 mile south-southwest of the top of the "Attitash" ski lift). The coordinates on the tower website are near "Bear Peak" (which is above the "Bear Peak" ski lift - more precisely, about 1/3 of a mile to the southwest). Bear Peak is barely a peak at all (low prominence; it's more like a shoulder of Big Attitash, a 2900' peak over a mile to the south). The coordinates seem to put the tower in a stupid location in midslope to the east of Bear Peak- that can't be right.

Little Attitash Moutain is listed as being 2504' - so that might not be a coincidence.

Also, 'Stories from the White Mountains' lists the tower as being on 'Mount Attitash', as show by this Google search

Hope that helps

Good info all!!! Thanks for all the replies!!!! I've already been to Big Attitash, so, I guess if I go to Little Attitash, that should cover it :)

I have a few more questions about other peaks... stay tuned :)

2504 is Little Attitash, when I was there ~1988 there were no obvious tower remains so I'm not sure why there would currently be a path from the ski area especially when the tower page said it was accessed by helicopter

There used to be a public observation tower at the top of one of the Attitash ski lifts but I can't say if it still exists

Having been to both places I'll let Iris and Ed worry about where it was, if they decide it's yet a different sub-peak then maybe BM will take me there :)

There is a really nice, LARGE, and sturdy observation tower right next to the upper ski lift terminal at the Attitash peak. Really cool!!! Went up it this spring after the ski area closed due to lack of skiers/riders (but not lack of snow ;) )

Gardner Ridge / Signal Mountain???? (in Monroe)

Question about Gardner Mountain/Signal Mountain:

According to the spreadsheet, Gardner Ridge (elev 2220') is a firetower site with no further info. I was wondering - it shows up on the old topos as about halfway between Hunt Mtn and Signal Mountain, but, is not clearly shown on my Gazetteer.

When I look at this website with info on Monroe:

http://www.monroetown.com/town-history.html - Geography section

Signal Mountain (2299') is clearly listed as the actual highpoint of Gardner Ridge. And, with a name like, "Signal Mountain" - that must have a firelookout history, right? Doesn't appear to!!!!

So, question for you guys is, which is the actual correct peak to visit?

Both, right? :)

It would be nice if there was a GPX file that contained all the Towers / locations that people could download or, if they don't have a GPS, view all the points on something like Wikiloc / Google Earth.

If nobody has this done this, I'd be happy to get it started and then the community can help to get it accurate based on their experiences. I clearly do NOT have all the correct points but if there isn't a current location, lets get a single place we can all refer to. I think we agree that http://www.firelookout.org/lookouts/nh/nh.htm is a great resource but not when it comes to using the lat/lon for the actual location.

Signal Mountain (2299') is clearly listed as the actual highpoint of Gardner Ridge. And, with a name like, "Signal Mountain" - that must have a firelookout history, right? Doesn't appear to!!!!

So, question for you guys is, which is the actual correct peak to visit?
I don't think anybody knows where it actually was

When I climbed Signal Mtn in a previous century, there were the remains of a double survey tower over the BM - for precise work you put the instrument on it's own tower so it's not affected by wiggles on the tower you stand on. There's a neat mine partway up.

Since you are faster and crazier than most hikers, you should get a metal detector and walk the whole ridge :)

I don't think anybody knows where it actually was

When I climbed Signal Mtn in a previous century, there were the remains of a double survey tower over the BM - for precise work you put the instrument on it's own tower so it's not affected by wiggles on the tower you stand on. There's a neat mine partway up.

Since you are faster and crazier than most hikers, you should get a metal detector and walk the whole ridge :)

Very interesting info on the survey tower!!!! Twisted my arm - now I gotta go both places!!!! :)