Most Difficult New England Winter 4kers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been many threads of the pros and cons of a clockwise versus counterclockwise Lincoln Lafayette loop. I am a CW person many others are CCW. In any case crampons (not microspikes) are generally required equipment for the loop in true winter conditions unless its a low snow warm year and recent trail reports indicate otherwise. Sure folks may get away with microspikes all day but there are spots on both the OBP and FWT that can require real crampons. I guess the one pro for a CCW loop is that if you are inadequately equipped to make it past the water crossings and ice on the lower section of FWT than you can readily turn around while if you are doing a CW circuit, you may be able to do the entire route with less aggressive gear and get stranded half way down FWT due to inadequate equipment.

I prefer up OBP down FWT in winter because you can either snowshoe ski down it or butt slide :) Plus the views from The Agonies on OBP are phenomenal in winter on a nice day.

Tim

Last year was my first year really winter hiking, so I haven't done it all. The toughest section I had was the ladders on the Osseo trail (just steep/had to learn how to kick in) and the section near the summit where the trail goes above the Flume slide, which is a big no fall zone and made me nervous watching my wife go above it.

Steve Smith’s and Mike Dickerman’s 4000-Footers book has information on climbing each peak in winter.

I was wondering about climbing the Wildcats from the south. Is Carter Notch Road not cleared high enough to make this practical? I figured with the cross country ski area up there, that it must be possible to drive to it, but maybe it isn’t.

I still have 7 left to do, including the Twins, Galehead, Owlshead, Jefferson and Iso, so I'm not really qualified to rate the toughest 5.

One that I was particularly worried about was Zealand. Then I saw an AMC hike that featured two nights at Zealand Hut and a goal of West Bond. "Ah ha!" We bagged Zealand, West Bond and Bond. I'll be heading back to the hut this March to see if I can't pick up Bondcliff.

This has been an enjoyable thread to follow, I've learned a lot about Jefferson which is my last remaining peak for my winter list. Looking forward to Dec 22! Also have read about a few things I should have been concerned about while doing the other 47 in past years :)

Steve Smith’s and Mike Dickerman’s 4000-Footers book has information on climbing each peak in winter.

I was wondering about climbing the Wildcats from the south. Is Carter Notch Road not cleared high enough to make this practical? I figured with the cross country ski area up there, that it must be possible to drive to it, but maybe it isn’t.

I just did this this summer and I think it would be quite a nice ski. The biggest climb is right before the notch - I'd have to walk it, but a good (better) skier would have no issues I bet. The road is plowed until at least the Inn, if not further down the road. It wouldn't be much more of a ski to start from there. I would suggest taking the Forest Rd to the Wildcat River Trail to make it a bit smoother. The trail is immediately after the bridge, so it's easy to find.

I still have 7 left to do, including the Twins, Galehead, Owlshead, Jefferson and Iso, so I'm not really qualified to rate the toughest 5.

One that I was particularly worried about was Zealand. Then I saw an AMC hike that featured two nights at Zealand Hut and a goal of West Bond. "Ah ha!" We bagged Zealand, West Bond and Bond. I'll be heading back to the hut this March to see if I can't pick up Bondcliff.

Bob - You might consider doing Bondcliff from Lincoln Woods rather than Zealand Hut, as 10 miles of that route is mostly flat (5 in and 5 out). Doing it from Zealand means re-climbing Zealand and Mt Bond in order to get Bondcliff. And then doing them a second time in order to get back to the hut.

Just my .02. It's your hike.

Bondcliff from Lincoln Woods rather than Zealand Hut, as 10 miles of that route is mostly flat (5 in and 5 out). Doing it from Zealand means re-climbing Zealand and Mt Bond in order to get Bondcliff. And then doing them a second time in order to get back to the hut.

Just my .02. It's your hike.

Skis! More than just about any other hike in the Whites, that one cries out for ski approach & egress.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it is a 14.4 mile hike if you start at the Bog Brook TH in the summer. I'm sure that the road will be plowed up until the last house. I believe that the TH is about a half mile or so after that. I will second what TJsName said about following the FS road as oppsed to Bog Brook Tr. You will avoid a few water crossings as well. I'm not sure how much use Wildcat River Tr gets in the winter but I suspect not much. Please let us know what you find.

I prefer up OBP down FWT in winter because you can either snowshoe ski down it or butt slide :) Plus the views from The Agonies on OBP are phenomenal in winter on a nice day.

Tim

Agree. I also like it because at the Greenleaf Hut I can assess if the weather conditions are good for a summit bid to Lafayette. If not, I was happy to enjoy the views I had from the Agonies and turn around. Once I reach Lafayette summit, I can assess if the weather conditions are good to do the traverse and if not, I'm happy to at least have bagged Lafayette.

Keep in mind that it is a 14.4 mile hike if you start at the Bog Brook TH in the summer. I'm sure that the road will be plowed up until the last house.
In the winter you would take the Wildcat Valley Trail from D instead of going back to the hut, in fact you could do that both ways

I'm sure JSTF can clue you in further, but it sounds like there are parking issues on Carter Notch Road
http://www.jacksonxc.org/index.php?page=wildcat

In days of yore before the Base Station Road was plowed, Jefferson and Monroe were considered the most difficult above-treeline peaks but now I would say Adams. Lafayette is not that difficult on a nice day as it has a good trail almost sure to be packed out, I'd call Lincoln harder. Again Washington is not that hard in good conditions but has the longest list of people who found bad conditions could kill.

It used to be that Owls Head and Isolation along with Twins had worries about stream crossings and were considered hard although bushwhacks can help, Bonds are the longest but those with $$ can stay at the hut and make them easier.

I would call Tecumseh hands-down the easiest and is a shorter drive for most people with plenty of parking although you may need to ride the shuttle to the trailhead :) My customary advice for beginners was to go to Crawford Notch and see whether Clinton, Jackson, Tom, or Field was best broken out :)

See a lot of references to skiing in/out on trails. Have zero experience with cross country gear. Can you buy a set up that works with regular winter boots that you would hike in? How much would a basic set up go for? Does it really save that much time? Difficulty? I've "skated" in my downhill skis cutting over to chair lifts, etc and it seems like a lot of work, especially if I had a 30+ lb backpack full of gear. I assume the x-country gear makes it easier. If I went that route it would probably only be for closed roads and flat areas like Lincoln Woods, etc. to save time versus walking.

Another question I had was on Mt Willey. Does anyone ever do this from the South via Kedron Flume Trail/Ethan Pond Trail (or whatever trail that is - don't have my maps in front of me). Is it too steep and icy or have very deep snow that doesn't get broken out often? The long stretch in between Field and Willey is fairly boring and remote (to me at least). When I did last December (unofficially the week before winter started) I remember a nasty drop off in the col that was very steep and icy with ledgy rocks. Wouldn't mind skipping that section and breaking up the three peaks into two shorter hikes or splitting with an easy hike like Tecumseh on my ride home if the route is doable.

There are a few kinds of outfits that will work with plastic mountaineering boots, like the one discussed in this thread here. The equipment discussed here is really primitive; some Silvretta AT bindings (the 404 and the 500, I think) will also work with plastic mountain boots, and they'll ski better. An ideal ski for this sort of application is something around 100 mm at the tip and 70-80 at the waist with a waxless base, but there are lots of possible variations.

Alternately, you can go with a lighter outfit and an NNN-BC system binding; here you'd be looking for full metal edged skis up to around 75 mm at the tip, probably around 60 at the waist. I've found the NNN-BC boots do OK in snowshoe bindings. Really, the best outfits for this type of skiing involve 3-pin boots and bindings, but those types of boots often don't play well with snowshoe bindings, and even less well with crampons. Again, most people will want a waxless fishscale base.

Price is highly variable. I built my waxable Karhu military ski / Fritschi binding outfit for around 90 bucks, but that's exceptionally cheap. For a solid BC nordic outfit built from the ground up with new gear at retail you should probably assume $400-700 depending on what exactly you decide you're getting.

Once you're passingly competent on the gear, it can save you a lot of time and turn what might otherwise be a tedious trudge into something much more enjoyable and aesthetic. On the right route with the right conditions, they can really shine. When I hiked Allen Mountain in the ADK's, sort of legendary among 46ers as a quintessential long day's slog, comparable perhaps to Owl's Head with changes in the particulars, I did the last 5.5 miles out in under an hour, grinning like a fool.

Last edited:
Another question I had was on Mt Willey. Does anyone ever do this from the South via Kedron Flume Trail/Ethan Pond Trail (or whatever trail that is - don't have my maps in front of me). Is it too steep and icy or have very deep snow that doesn't get broken out often? The long stretch in between Field and Willey is fairly boring and remote (to me at least). When I did last December (unofficially the week before winter started) I remember a nasty drop off in the col that was very steep and icy with ledgy rocks. Wouldn't mind skipping that section and breaking up the three peaks into two shorter hikes or splitting with an easy hike like Tecumseh on my ride home if the route is doable.
In my experience Kedron Flume is rarely done in winter. Willey is done via Ethan Pond (have done it about 3 or 4 times that way myself) but it is VERY steep, and better done with deep snow cover so that it's over the stairs. Other reason not to do it is that the road isn't plowed, so you have to hoof it from US302.

Mostly it seems to be done as an over and back from Field which is the way I personally prefer.

Yah probably out then. I thought the trail left right from 302. I guess out and back it is.

Really, the best outfits for this type of skiing involve 3-pin boots and bindings, but those types of boots often don't play well with snowshoe bindings,
A friend has used her 3-pin boots in snowshoes (MSR's, I think) perfectly well. It depends on the bindings and having enough clearance in the toe hole.

3-pin boots should also work with crampons if you carefully select the crampons to fit the boot.

Doug

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it is a 14.4 mile hike if you start at the Bog Brook TH in the summer. I'm sure that the road will be plowed up until the last house. I believe that the TH is about a half mile or so after that. I will second what TJsName said about following the FS road as oppsed to Bog Brook Tr. You will avoid a few water crossings as well. I'm not sure how much use Wildcat River Tr gets in the winter but I suspect not much. Please let us know what you find.

I am not sure how much is used by xc skiers in the area, but I know a bunch of tbe hiking trails there are on the xc ski map. If you break trails going up then you can at least enjoy a nice trip back down. Might be better to bring a buddy!