The Ay Up Head Torch-13. Kinda bright.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
Wednesday evening, while I was doing some night photography on the summit of Camels Hump, a large passenger jet on it's landing approach to Burlington suddenly appeared and swooped by the summit, where I was already standing taking long exposures - there were waves of fog zooming over the summit, and I was using my headlight to light up the fog for artistic effect, shall we say.

Evidently either the pilot or a passenger on the plane saw my light and thought it was possibly a distress signal, and reported it for a possible rescue. I was down the mountain just as a very nice State Trooper arrived, so I was able to explain what I was doing. She was actually pretty amused, so it all worked out well.

So now I know to be careful with the awesome power of the Ay Up HT-13

HT13WorldsMostAwesomeLightingSystem_0534.jpg

860464_706619576029232_1831223925_o.jpg

Awesome! Nice photos also! Looks like a potential sponsorship deal for that next record your going to try to break. Can't imagine what that must have looked and felt like when that Jet swooped through. Must have been quite SciFi like.

Last edited:
So if a plane sees me trail running in New Hampshire at night and calls SAR, do I have to pay the fine? :)

So if a plane sees me trail running in New Hampshire at night and calls SAR, do I have to pay the fine? :)
Only if your caught with a ballpoint pen with a Cannon Mt. logo in your pack.

Kinda bright?!? My old Princeton Tec Corona claims 90 lumens and I've never wished I had more. Any brighter and I might think I was supposed to be running or something!

After bike light manufactures got into the LED game (from HID and Halogen) a lot of "knock off" brands popped up.
The original models were $300-400 (Nite-Rider, ILM), the knock offs were $100 (Magicshine, Spoke grenade), and now there are knock offs of the knock offs which are only $20.

I purchased a set (2 lights, 1 for helmet, 1 for handlebars) rated at 1k lumens for $100 each set. The set came with a headband mount for the light which I lost. To buy a replacement band was $15, or a whole new light (with battery) was $20 (guess which I opted for). The knock-knock-offs have very questionable quality (and lower quality batteries) and you typically put the battery pack in a pocket or backpack (rather than on your head).

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Light...F8&qid=1386291138&sr=8-11&keywords=magicshine

I've used it for hiking a few times (but only when I'm willing to take the hit on weight as it is heavy)