Rt. 106 in Harriman State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Palisades Interstate Park Commission

Transportation Update

For Immediate Release: December 31, 2013

Effective January 1, 2014, County Road 106 is being transferred from ownership and maintenance responsibilities by Orange County to the Palisades Interstate Park Commission as a park road between Route 17 and the Rockland / Orange County border. Orange County had closed the road in the Spring of 2008 as a result of two culverts associated with Lake Kanawauke being determined by the County as unsafe to carry vehicular traffic. After discussions with the Commission, the County agreed to repair the culverts as well as make other required improvements to the road on the condition that the Commission takes possession of the road upon completion of said improvements. The agreement also made clear that the Commission would only accept the road as a park road and retain the authority to close it seasonally consistent with other park roads.

County Road 106 connects Route 17 in Tuxedo with 7 Lakes Drive at Kanawauke Circle in Harriman State Park. This road serves as a major connector through the park and areas east and west of parkland. Additionally, this section of road serves various group camps on Lake Kanawauke and Lake Stahahe. It is anticipated the road will be closed seasonally by the Commission during the winter in a manner similar to Arden Valley Road.

Hopefully this means "we don't have to plow it right away" rather than "it's closed, keep out." There are several trailheads (Ramapo-Dunderberg, Victory, and White Bar trails as well as several unmarked trails) and hiker's parking areas on this road which would become inaccessible. The road also serves the lake foremen's year round residences on Stahahe and Kanawauke as well as the public parking area at Kanawauke.

The road repairs also still aren't complete. The "culverts" mentioned were beautiful old stone bridges built during the 1920s, which were replaced with ugly new concrete and steel. Part of the deal was supposed to be facing the concrete with stone to preserve the original appearance, but to date this hasn't been done.

IMG_0545.jpg

Not to sure about where in Harriman that is but I went hiking/camping Mon night with a buddy and had a wonderful time. We chriss crossed all over the place on purpose and by accident and camped out at the metal shelter along the Long Path. On way back out we hiked through the Lemon Squeezer and took the AT back to the White Bar trail. Looked like a serious storm brought down a ton of trees. Also looked like a forest fire was there. On way home I picked up new Harriman maps. This was the 2nd time camping there in the last month. Nice to be only 1 1/2 hrs away.

it's a road that was already deemed seasonal and generally fenced closed by the bridge over Rt 17 and also fenced close to 7LD... You drive over 106 when you're on the NYS Thruway and you can sometimes see people parked in the dirt lot as you go by on the thruway..

Jay

No, it wasn't seasonal before; it was a year round county road (and before that it was NY Rt. 210). It was blocked at times in recent years first because of the condition of the bridges, then after the bridges were repaired Irene took out part of the road along Kanawauke approaching the eastern bridge, then they fixed that and Sandy caved in parts of the road between Stahahe and Kanawauke. The lot near the thruway is the Ramapo River access. The problem with closing it (aside with the group camp and trailhead access) is that it's the only route across the park without driving all the way north to Rt. 6 at the top of the park or south to Sloatsburg and back up 7LD.

As far as I know, the Rockland County side (east of the Kanawauke circle) will remain open.

Oops you're right, I'm thinking of Arden Valley Road...

I think people XC ski down some of the roads in winter, like Lake Welsh on the other side of 7LD..

Jay

Not to sure about where in Harriman that is but I went hiking/camping Mon night with a buddy and had a wonderful time. We chriss crossed all over the place on purpose and by accident and camped out at the metal shelter along the Long Path. On way back out we hiked through the Lemon Squeezer and took the AT back to the White Bar trail. Looked like a serious storm brought down a ton of trees. Also looked like a forest fire was there. On way home I picked up new Harriman maps. This was the 2nd time camping there in the last month. Nice to be only 1 1/2 hrs away.

Let me know next time you venture into these woods, I'm only 15 min from there.

Florida, NY... my Dad and I used to fly R/C gliders off the sod farms there back in the late 1970s, when he lived in Blooming Grove.

My buddy and I were talking about camping at Smith's Den this weekend but I'm waiting to see how the weather goes...

I've hiked in Harriman a few times this past Autumn and winter, I like it a lot. But some of the trail markings really confused me on the last trip. So I bought the new 2013 maps, very nice. Will keep you all posted about another trip soon there. Bald Rocks area is very cool, and finally went back to the Lemon Squeezer. We camped out by the metal shelter on the Long Path. Not to sure if I mentioned that before. Sadly my bad knee wasn't to happy but I survived.

This weekend there were "road closed" signs up across the road but they could be easily driven around... I saw a few cars on the road and there were a couple of cars at the pulloff where the R-D trail crosses the road west of LLP. Dunno if they were ticketed.

I guess this will make it more convenient for the several camps along 106. Now they (the Park) can close off the road to traffic during "the season", like they do on Arden Valley Road. I'm not complaining- I don't have a car. And, I can do without the motorcycles ripping through the park at night. :-D

No, it's the other way around; they're only closing the road for the winter, when the camps are closed anyway, like they already do for Arden Valley Road.

Dude- I was there and saw the roads closed in the summer. Both 106 and AV Road- not for repairs, either. I was told by a park employee that it was to prevent people from driving into the camps and to reduce the traffic when the camps were in use. I spent alot of time hiking in HSP- and backpacking, too. You should see what I've seen. Motorcycles and ATVs and SUVs on the trails, driving right up to a lake for some overnights. I think from now on I will take pictures and up load them. In fact- I have lots of photos- including license plates. But I have seen these roads closed during the summer in the past few years.

Maybe you were there but I'm a member of one of those camps and can assure you that 106 has never been closed to reduce traffic to the camps... until this month it was a county road; the county would never close it for that reason. If a park employee told you that, he told you wrong. It was closed for repairs: first to repair the bridges, and then after Irene and Sandy... which was a huge PITA for us because even camp members and employees were being hassled for driving on the sort-of closed road (the only way to the camps). Though I must say the quiet was nice! This past summer 106 was open all summer long. I don't know about AV road, I know it was closed for a long while but my understanding is that was for storm damage as well. In the past it has always been open during the summer, and only closed during the winter.