2013 In Review: Peak-Bragging!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, what did you accomplish this past year? Come on, don't be shy! :D

Laurie and I finished the W115 (back in March).

I also finished my 8th round of the Catskills, and was elected President of the Catskill 3500 Club.

But enough about me! Next!

^^ Hey, congrats, a winter 115 is a pretty big deal! How long did that take you?

Isidora and I finished our NH48 on Mt. Carrigain in March.

The whole family hiked a five-day loop in the Yosemite backcountry in late July, about half of which was off-trail. The crux of this was when we climbed cross-country to Upper McCabe Lake, crossed Don't Be a Smart Pass to Roosevelt Lake, and traversed the canyon to the Young Lakes. Elmore summited Mt. Conness (12,600') with me, with a classy and exposed Class 3 finish.

Last edited:
Slowly but surely chipping away at my 48 and 67, having bagged Jackson, Pierce, Ike, Liberty and Tecumseh anew, Killington and Camel's Hump, too, Moosilauke again, this time via the gorgeous north-south A.T. traverse, all the way to Hiker's Welcome, which is great, and throwing in Pico in mid-spring snow and a fair amount of new A.T., in NH, CT and NY, plus Mt. Frissell as a new high point, for three so far.

Also got in a couple of nice hikes in Arkansas Thanksgiving week, just about doubling my life-time miles hiked there, which isn't saying much, but whetting my appetite for more of my boyhood home's fine mountain vistas.

This past year, for a number of reasons, I wasn't able to get away north as much as I'd've liked. I expect that to be different in 2014, and intend to make numerous visits to NH and VT, with possible forays into Maine and NY's higher ground to boot. We'll see what this year brings - feeling good about it so far.

Lucky enough to accompany redliners Priscilla and Michelle (of this forum), and helping out friend Rod complete a couple of rounds of the 48th within a calendar year..would like to get to the ADKs to get some more over there, and re explore Maine and Vt. peaks too, and hit some not done.....Happy New Year!!

Slowly but surely chipping away at my 48 and 67, having bagged Jackson, Pierce, Ike, Liberty and Tecumseh anew, Killington and Camel's Hump, too, Moosilauke again, this time via the gorgeous north-south A.T. traverse, all the way to Hiker's Welcome, which is great, and throwing in Pico in mid-spring snow and a fair amount of new A.T., in NH, CT and NY, plus Mt. Frissell as a new high point, for three so far.

Also got in a couple of nice hikes in Arkansas Thanksgiving week, just about doubling my life-time miles hiked there, which isn't saying much, but whetting my appetite for more of my boyhood home's fine mountain vistas.

This past year, for a number of reasons, I wasn't able to get away north as much as I'd've liked. I expect that to be different in 2014, and intend to make numerous visits to NH and VT, with possible forays into Maine and NY's higher ground to boot. We'll see what this year brings - feeling good about it so far.
Keep it up! I think I still hold the record for most attempts per actual peaks bagged.4 attempts on Abraham in maine before I got it,3 on the Twins.One attempt for Madison and Adams before bagged,etc. I like Rocket's idea for 2014;No lists,lol. This site has a large number of strong hikers who make peakbagging look easy. Thus I will attempt to hold up the slow mantle for some of us:D

I like Rocket's idea for 2014;No lists,lol.

To clarify, so that it doesn't appear in an attack ad in the fall during my run for Lt. Governor, I only said no 4K lists :)

^^ Hey, congrats, a winter 115 is a pretty big deal! How long did that take you?
12 years. It was never the goal, far from it. I could not even conceive of being a W35er, W46er, etc. I just kept at it until it was in sight. Not to mention Laurie whipping me on from behind! :D

Keep it up! I think I still hold the record for most attempts per actual peaks bagged.4 attempts on Abraham in maine before I got it,3 on the Twins.One attempt for Madison and Adams before bagged,etc. I like Rocket's idea for 2014;No lists,lol. This site has a large number of strong hikers who make peakbagging look easy. Thus I will attempt to hold up the slow mantle for some of us:D

Thanks. Been at it three and a half years - been bagging 4Ks for the past year and a half - and enjoy it a lot. Always fun to take in a new vista, or to revisit a favorite old one. Took me three tries to get up Washington. Funny thing is that the one which repelled me the most times was the easiest so far, Pico - I got up it on the fourth try. First try was super slushy, like walking in loose sand spring 2012, second try I got to 3500' a year ago, and it was just too cold and windy despite my having bundled up. Third time I forgot snowshoes, tried with spikes and turned back after 0.1 due to deep snow. Went and visited Hanover instead - walked the A.T. in town. Finally summited Pico in April. Was worth it once I finally made it - great views from up there.

Last edited:
This fall Lauky and I hiked the AT from Amicalola Falls over Springer to Fontana Dam. Just under 200 miles. The Smokies start at Fontana so that was the end of the line for Lauky as dogs aren't allowed in the Park. We've gone back and we're doing it all over but this time on the Benton Mackaye trail. We're about 50 miles into that one. Wild life count so far: three bears, two deer, eight wild boars. One side note for those who have hiked the AT and found it congested. The AT in Georgia and NC in the fall is almost deserted. We encountered a few SOBO hikers but often went all day without seeing anyone. The shelters were often empty. The Benton Mackaye trail is even more isolated.

I finished the ADK W46 on Hough back in March. My dog Rev finished her regular ADK 46 back last month when we climbed Basin and Haystack on December 1st. I'm now going to peck away at the ADK 100 highest (I like bushwhacking). I'm also keeping tabs on the ADK 4 season 46.

I'm also the lean-to adopter for the Herbert Brook lean-to at the base of Mount Marshall and made a couple trips to help with the Mount Adams firetower restoration in 2013.

Last edited:
I got invited to do Mt. Adams with a friend two years ago and it was his 48th (NH 3 season). Never heard of the NH 48 before that hike on Adams. What a cool idea, no pun intended, I’ll do them in the winter. I had a slow start 1st winter with 14 but I got 24 this past winter season. Just did N. Twin leaving me 13 NH 4,000’ winter peaks to go. Keeping all my Ws in harmony (Work, Weather, Wife :) ) is a challenge but with any luck I’ll finish my NH W48 this season. I’M HAVING A BALST!

I finished the ADK46 and the NE111 simultaneously on Whiteface in July.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 23/39; WNH4K: 29/48; NEFF: 35/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

I completed one month of the White Mountain grid, climbing my final six peaks for September. Not that I’m actually working on The Grid — I’ve never climbed any 4000-footers between November 12th and June 26th — but it doesn’t hurt to chart my progress (116/576, 20.1%), and I was close enough to finishing September that I did so (the 48th was Cabot on the 28th, the day JustJoe finished his New Hampshire 200 Highest on The Horn).

I also finished soloing the 48. When I originally finished the White Mountain Fours in 2002, I had soloed 30 of them, so I knew I would have to eventually solo the other 18. Got to within one in October 2011, but it took almost two years to finally solo Adams. So that’s done.

Finished gridding (if you know what I mean) Monadnock in April 2011; in 2013 I resumed my attempt at red-lining the mountain, getting out there four times (I’ve climbed it 25 times now). Still not done, but I’m close. The Ravine Trail, the Old Ski Path (if I ever locate it), and parts of Smith Connecting, Hedgehog, and one other, which eludes me at the moment — the one near the Graphite Mine — and I think I’ll be done with that project. I only need hikes in February, March, and April to finish a second grid, so I’ll hope to do that this year and maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

Climbed Liberty and Flume twice within eight days. Contrast that with going 20 years between my first and second ascents of Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty (June 30/July 1, 1984, and June 27, 2004). Liberty is now my most-climbed 4000er, with seven ascents. Flume-Liberty on October 28 and Lafayette-Lincoln-Liberty-Flume (first time I ever hit all four in one hike!) on November 5 were my two favorite hikes in 2013. See pictures from the former in the Best Photos thread elsewhere on this site.

Knocked off two more 3000-footers, Rosebrook and Unknown Pond Peak. Both bushwhacks, but easy ones. I think that’s about 224 of 776 on the Northeast list.

On the down side, I didn’t make it out to the Adirondacks for a third consecutive year, after making it 13 straight years and 14 of 15. And I didn’t hike Mahoosuc Notch for the umpteenth consecutive year.

Happy to have finally made it to Maine to get some peaks. Chipping away at the 115 (at 85).
Didn't hike as much as I would've liked, but do any of us ?

My greatest accomplishment was not drowning in Lincoln Brook during a spring attempt at OH.

Finally finished that darn 48 list - now if I can only mail in the application...

I thought at first, DreamFarmer, you meant you are 85 years of age. But I guess you mean you have 30 more mountains to climb to complete the list. You looked pretty good for 85.

IagreewithJamie, get that application in the mail so you can pick up your certificate in April. And get your properly assigned number, too!

It was a bittersweet year. My husband and I completed the NE 4k list on July 17. The last 5 were in Maine with wonderful weather - perfect hikes! Each of these fabulous trips were marred when heart-stopping texts appeared shortly after I turned my phone back on at the car. My brother became very ill in a short period of time and each text delivered terrible news. He wouldn't have wanted us to change our plans, that's who he was; he passed away two weeks after we held our trekking poles high on Brother (a fitting name for our last peak).

The lesson learned is life is short and I interpret that to mean I gotta go after what's important to me. So I officially started the ADKs in October. Thanks for asking.

I always enjoy reading these end-of-the-year threads. Congrats to all on their travels and list completions!

I climbed Mount Hood in June to finish the lower 48 State Highpoints and am looking forward to attempting Denali in 2015 for my #50 (already summited Mauna Kea).

I also added New England Highest Hundred peaks 91-94 during the summer and am planning on spending a week in the Rangeley-Stratton area in July this year to hopefully complete the six-pack and finish the list.

Keep on adventuring, VFTTers.