2013 In Review: Peak-Bragging!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hiked in Patagonia's Paine del Torres National Park in March, with my sister Heidi, and my good friend Mary. Great trip--an early 50th bday present.

I don't really have a "bucket list" but Patagonia has long been on my list of "will do one day."

For the coming year no big lists or anything, though, just feeling happy and healthy and up for whatever comes my way--hiking, skiing, biking--bring it on.

Happy 2014 everyone!

--Carla

I got my first hiking dog, Buddy Boy aka " The Mountain climbing Australian Shepard". We just worked on some 4k's, set no records, did nothing worthy of bragging about. BUT, hiking with my dog has been awesome, as a soloist, its great to have company and he is the perfect partner. Never complains, hikes any peak I want, turns around if I want to with no augument, enjoys everyday like its the last day of your life. My only complaint, man can he woof down the beef jerkey.:eek:

No bragging this year. Managed one measly winter 4k (Waumbek in Jan with Yogi) and a handful of NH100's. Between starting a new job and moving back to NH, and flying off to Hawaii to get married time was scarce. Losing Yogi in May really hit us hard. Tuckerman arrived in June though, aka the "I will eat absolutely anything Australian Shepard". With Carol still recouping from Guillain–Barré and him a pup, we took things low and slow. Hale, and a few smaller hikes (Sugarloaf, Stinson, Wonalancet). Tucker did whack up Dartmouth with me in November in the snow, and did great until we ran into a moose on the way down. Turn and run, and I got to climb Dartmouth twice in one day! It’s a new year though, and you will see more of us on the trails for sure.

Sorry to hear about your loss Peppersass and Congratulations Tom on being elected to the 3500 Post. (Congrats to all who got out to hike, especially those who finihsed lists.)

Got my son up his first winter 4K in NH, up his first 5K, (Lafayette) both kids up their highest ADK peak to date (Wright's). Had high hopes on finishing the 115 but an avulsion of the foot on Hurricane slowed me down. After that running on of time & will on a rainy in the Sewards & turning back without Emmons makes it look maybe this year. Did get to Seward, Donaldson, Gray this year for the first time, leaving only the three Santanoni's, Cliff, Seymour & Emmons (with another Donaldson trip) Dial & finally Nipple top which I've ben leaving for last.

Spent a night with friends at Greenleaf & Bascom, had several cub scouts up with us in the ADK where he hiked Hurricane on a beautiful day in May, and hikes to Marcy Dam and the AIC in Newcomb in November.

Got the kids to stay at the ADK Loj, my wife and Mother-in-law to the ADK's. My wife back up, & for her Mom, the first time beyond Lake George.

After 28.5 years I find myself without a job and will be looking this year, it's a new opportunity...
This year? Finish the 115? Trying to figure out if my son wants to be a Boy Scout or do we look at more hiking and camping on own? (AMC, ADK and good hikers follow LNT, being outdoors is what he likes most.) Weather kept us fromdoing the loop with Lincoln. One of the scout dads is starting the ADK 46, so we may do a few weekends where we do one of teh few I need & then one of his, he has 44 to go so many choices.

Last edited:
2013 Was another pretty sweet year for me. I hiked more miles and more elevation gain than in the previous 2 1/2 years. I didn't do any travel trips/hiking this year, but did a heck of a lot of peak-bagging in New England and a lot of fun hikes. As with each year, I do a top 10 on my blog, which you can read HERE.

Some of my highlights were:

Finished the 48 in a single winter season (and regular winter list at the same time, West Bond) (Feb. '13)
Finished the NE67 in June on North Brother on the Supermoon Weekend (June)
Hiked in the Adirondacks for the first time, a Great Range Traverse (July)
Mt. Washington 5 times in 2013 (twice in winter).

There were some awesome hikes along the way too (and more stats), so check out the link if you're interested. Getting to meet some more crazy hikers like me was also a good thing this year.
Best of luck to everyone in 2014!

Annie & I completed the 52 with a view list. We have liked that list.
We saw more of the NH and we have discovered other places other of the 4000 feet summits area.

It was a bittersweet year. My husband and I completed the NE 4k list on July 17. The last 5 were in Maine with wonderful weather - perfect hikes! Each of these fabulous trips were marred when heart-stopping texts appeared shortly after I turned my phone back on at the car. My brother became very ill in a short period of time and each text delivered terrible news. He wouldn't have wanted us to change our plans, that's who he was; he passed away two weeks after we held our trekking poles high on Brother (a fitting name for our last peak).

The lesson learned is life is short and I interpret that to mean I gotta go after what's important to me. So I officially started the ADKs in October. Thanks for asking.

That's touching that you finished the NE4K on Brother, Peppersass. Please accept my bittersweet condolences and congratulations. Good luck in the Daks.

Excruciatingly awesome.

In 2005, I flew into New Orleans with my non-hiking brother and father and made a loop trip to the HPS of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana. :D

Which way did you go up Mt. Magazine? The north approach looks eternal at like 12 miles one way. I'm thinking, next trip back home (I grew up in Conway, about 90 miles away), I will summit it via an old road on the south side. I want the experience of climbing that mountain and topping out in my boyhood home state, but 20+ miles for 2753' doesn't appeal to me so much. The approach I've spotted looks like 5-6 miles RT. White Mountainish steepness, but the commensurate short distance. More to my taste. I spotted Magazine five weeks ago from nearby Mt. Nebo - pretty country.

PS: Congrats on your 48 - good luck with Denali.

There are a lot of options, Driver8. We hiked the Mossback Ridge Trail ... which is about 3 miles or so one-way but doesn't feature much elevation gain. I guess it is what you would call a nice stroll in the woods. I kind of wanted to do something a little steeper and my brother was game after hiking Cheaha (Alabama) earlier in the trip but I didn't want to bite off more than my Dad could chew. Lots of ticks in the area ... I wore shorts and would up digging one that night after it was already head deep into my leg.

Here is an on-line trail map I found that you may or may not find useful.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/picture_library/Magazine/Magazine%20Map.jpg

Have fun if you go. Nice area!

Love reading everyone's accomplishments!! Lots of go-getters out there!!

Peppersass - what a touching story, definately a fitting last peak. I'm sorry for your loss.

Carla - awesome!

Puma concolor - I recently got my hands on a high-pointing book.......definately a way to see the US. I'll never do the big ones, but fun to see how far you can go!
Good luck!

I was happy to finish the WMG redlining project this year and add a few more CO 14ers to my small collection. Also got in a very small hike in the Connemara while in Ireland. Oh, and I ran my first half marathon! Not hiking, but I thought it was a pretty big deal! Even though I said, "I'll never do THAT again"...........I just signed up for my 2nd one recently!! he he! Happy 2014 everyone!

Tom, I remember when you took umbrage at that term years ago!
Anyway, In June I simultaneously completed both the Northeast 100-most-prominent and New England 100-most-prominent lists by climbing West Rutland Vermont's "2110," also known as Hanley's Peak, with Herb Foster. (Herb and I are two of the 37 who have completed the 451 New England 3ks). To my knowledge, I was the first to complete the Northeast list; since then Alan Bernier has joined me in that accomplishment.
This year, with luck, I may finally finish the Catskill 35s!

Highpointing is a blast! (I am a 49.98'er :D) Michelle, you totally could get the big ones if ya wanted. Jus' sayin'.

For the past few years I've been attempting to hike/run at least 50 trail miles in each state and now have 8 states to go. In 2013 I completed the District of Columbia (extra credit), Wisconsin, Iowa, Alabama and South Carolina. Before y'all start laughing, I will report having found awesome trails in each completed state so far! (Okay, that statement may be a bit of a stretch with regard to Nebraska, but it holds for all the others.) Alabama's Pinhoti and South Carolina's Foothills Trail this year were especially gorgeous.

The last 6 weeks of winter I did the Trailrights 72 peaks.

I also put in my first vegetable garden ever and became a bluebird afficionado. :)

There are a lot of options, Driver8. We hiked the Mossback Ridge Trail ... which is about 3 miles or so one-way but doesn't feature much elevation gain. I guess it is what you would call a nice stroll in the woods. I kind of wanted to do something a little steeper and my brother was game after hiking Cheaha (Alabama) earlier in the trip but I didn't want to bite off more than my Dad could chew. Lots of ticks in the area ... I wore shorts and would up digging one that night after it was already head deep into my leg.

Here is an on-line trail map I found that you may or may not find useful.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/picture_library/Magazine/Magazine%20Map.jpg

Have fun if you go. Nice area!

Thanks, Puma - that's the 10+ mile, one-way, Mt. Magazine Trail, the one I don't want to round trip. The old road cut I've found and want to do, provided it's not forbidden because on or traversing private property - big if - starts off another road at approximately 35 degrees 08' 33.95" N and 93 degrees 38' 48.98" W. There's also the power-line cut which runs through that area - might climb it as a right-of-way through private property and hop on the zig-zagging road higher up. We'll see. It being south-facing terrain, probably a good idea to do it in the colder part of the year, to minimize snake encounters. In the early planning stages.

Last edited:
It has been another good year.

-I managed to summit 60 named peaks this year (all in NH)
-53 different summits
-20 mountains in August
-38 4,000-ers
-Mount Liberty three times
-Fourth year in a row doing FOT48 (Owls Head 2013)
-A few new trails with my daughter in Randolph
-Got in 3 (4?) trail work trips on Ammo Ravine
-I accompanied two people on their 48 finish (Mountain Diva, BernerBabe)
-One highlight was a 28+ mile day to simply summit the Hancocks. Headlamps
came on while still in the wilderness and we exited at 11:00
-Made many new friends
-Completed a few more 52WAV which I work on sporadically
-Did a few more TW72 peaks, nearly done

Goals for next year:

-Finish or close in on the solo W48 (8 left)
-Consider winter Pressie traverse, or Northern traverse
-One more winter bag night on a 4,000 footer
-Meet more new friends in the mountains
-Continue to nurture my daughter's nature

Have a wonderful 2014 everyone, both in and out of the mountains.

My first accomplishment in 2013 was helping a friend finish his Winter 48 in March (Carrigan). I fell a few short by the time Spring hit. I helped my 15 year old son add 11 more peaks to his 3 season 48 including the Twins, Bonds, Zealand and Hale in a two day back pack trip. I think my biggest accomplishment of the year was getting my non hiking Fiancee up to Zeacliff without her killing me. I also got a few peaks in on my own.

Brian

In winter I climbed all the Maine and Vermont 4K peaks to finish the 115W. Along with that I did another single-season ADK46W, then hiked a summer round of the ADK46.