Unusual Snow conditions up north an FYI for weekenders

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Even though the northern presis was on the fringe of the storm ( 4 to 5 inches in Gorham). this additional snow has made things interesting in the woods. Normally the snow layers compact between storms making a firm base over the rocks and voids under the snow. This is not currently the case, there is a now a fairly deep layer of fluff on top of ice covered rocks and many trails have flow ice running down them under the fluff. This makes Katoolas practically useless as there is just enough snow compaction to plug them up. Sliding down trails is also difficult as under that nice fluffy snow are very solid rocks and using Microspikes, its quite easy to loose traction descending and go for an inadvertently slide. Snowshoes may be of some help and given the forecast for warmer temps on Sunday the snow may consolidate but for now there is a lot to be said for full crampons and a slow deliberate pace.

thanks, just the kind of info I've been looking for this morning, trying to figure out what to do / where to go tomorrow

Yes, thank you, me too (looking for info). More specifically, did other parts of the Whites (more southern than Gorham) catch good snow amounts? Lincoln Woods area?

--Carla

Thanks for info...A group of us plans on hiking the Kinsmans from Rt 116. We were planning on snowshoes all the way. perhaps someone will be kind enough and break it out for us today or tomorrow....

Same conditions as Wed. Slipped a lot on the Rollins Trail where there was 10-12" of champagne powder over icy rocks...

Tim

I had a cartoon-style wipeout sledding down the sherbie last sunday, as there was a lot of ice under the powder. It caught me off guard so much so that I lost my sled and sent it flying at my partner. I yelled watch out (not sure if 'rock' was appropriate in that scenario). It landed a few feet in front of him (and about 30 feet away in all). That occurred while wearing microspikes.

Thanks for info...A group of us plans on hiking the Kinsmans from Rt 116. We were planning on snowshoes all the way. perhaps someone will be kind enough and break it out for us today or tomorrow....

Tom- are you guys going saturday (tomorrow)? what time?

yeah, similiar snowpack in the foothillls of greater bethel, me. 14-18" of fluffy snow combined from the previous 2 storms ontop of ice.. was barebooting the other day for some snowboard turns, and went down hard on the way up, (ice dam under fluff.) thought I broke my right patella, massive bruising.

Saturday morning is generally forecast to be around -15 in the Whites.
Tuesday, North Conway and Crawford Notch had a lot more snow than Bethlehem.
Wednesday night Bethlehem got an additional 6" of powder over 6" of compacted powder.
It's going to be very cold and slippery under deep, light powder.

Nothing to worry about... Kinsman Trail will be broken out Saturday.its a beautiful walk and will be fine with good snowshoes. Have you thought about doing a loop going up Reel Brook?

Nothing to worry about... Kinsman Trail will be broken out Saturday.its a beautiful walk and will be fine with good snowshoes. Have you thought about doing a loop going up Reel Brook?

How are the steeps from the shelter up to south peak in the winter?

Bartlett got about 6-9". Temps -3 this morning but expected to climb to upper teens in the valley. Higher summits forecast is cold and windy. I would expect to use snowshoes on any hikes today.

Adding in Reel Brook in the winter would add in a lot of time and given the current snow conditions, it would be pretty brutal going up on or down the slope on South Kinsman. I expect the ice under the rocks would add in even more interest.Definitely the potential for a headlamp hike out.

Given the rain Sunday into Monday and the expected cold snap, I expect that these conditions will rapidly be replaced with boilerplate.