Cupsuptic Snow, 1-5-14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
Route: Cupsuptic Snow from Wiggle Brook Road. Tim Pond Road, Kennebago River Road, and across the bridge to Wiggle Brook Road was plowed, and the plowing continued beyond Snow Mountain, I'm not sure how far. (Burnt Mountain Road was NOT plowed; it had been plowed in the past two years when Tim Pond Road had not been plowed.) I parked at the height of land on Wiggle Brook Road, walked up the road to the left a short ways and took off into the woods on the old skid trails. The entire route is very open, not a lot of slash in the cuts (at least none that sticks out of the snow), and the softwoods were mostly open enough not to cause any trouble higher up.

Conditions: A couple of inches of powder over a very hard, somewhat slippery crust. I rarely punched through the crust, and my poles and snowshoes couldn't dig into it very much for traction, but I only slipped in a couple of spots. The tree trunks also had a coating of ice. The summit canister was frozen shut by the ice as well.

Equipment: Snowshoes

Comments: On the way back I turned up Kennebago River Road to see how far it was plowed, and the plowing extended beyond the gate. I didn't go beyond the gate since the sign said vehicles were prohibited.