CAUTION for people who hike with dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just dont understand it, because coyotes dont prey much on deeer anyways.
Actually, coyote packs have been observed hunting deer in the NE.

The NE coyote is often much larger than the western coyote. Western coyotes generally hunt solo or in mated pairs, but the NE coyote has been observed hunting in packs. The NE coyotes are often wolf-coyote hybrids and have adopted more wolf-like behavior. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf A few years ago, a pack even killed a human in Nova Scotia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans

Doug

Didn't post this to malign hunters or hunting. I grew up as a hunter. Most hunters would abhor putting out poison, but it only takes a very small percentage.
Despite my complete disgust with poison, there are places where the coyotes tear deer apart. This happens in years of heavy snow with a crust strong enough to support coyotes but not heavier deer. Coyotes take a big toll on spring fawns.
Again, not justifying what happened to my dog, but wanted to offer my own perspective on coyote predation. I think coyotes are gorgeous, love to see them or follow their winter tracks, and they play a role in keeping small animals and the deer herds in check.

Please respect the reason for the original post and don't turn this into an anti hunting thread.

I think coyotes are gorgeous, love to see them or follow their winter tracks, and they play a role in keeping small animals and the deer herds in check.

Please respect the reason for the original post and don't turn this into an anti hunting thread.

Nature tends to take care of itself. It can be heartless and unpleasant though, which can be hard to accept. The less we do as humans to interfere the better. There can be unintended and unforeseen consequences, as Peakbagr is well aware of and has shared this awareness with others (which I greatly appreciated not knowing this occurred). Sorry again to hear this news.

I am so very sorry to learn of your faithful friend's most tragic death. My yellow lab, Simon, has an ok response to 'leave it'- thank you for the stark reminder that he and I need to do some refresher practice. Thank you also for the tip about poisoning, awful to think of the harm of what I hope is the work of only a few irresponsible folks.

Thank you also to Tim for the hydrogen peroxide tip, will be adding that to our kit.

Peakbagger, I hope your new puppy shares as many wonderful adventures with you as Bookah did.

Last edited:
Our black lab puppy, Toby will be four months old soon. Her great grandmother was Bookah's mom.
Other than leashing her to and from the car or where there is potential danger, 98% of her exercise is off leash in nearby woods, fields and trails. Her recall is been excellent even when distracted, but 'leave it' and 'stay' are so far non-existent. Like Bookah, she's in puppy class and signed up for the next set of classes.
What happened with Bookah has me completely spooked as to where we'll hike, as Bookah only missed a handful of hikes in her life.
Please pay attention when you dog has a sudden interest in something on the ground as poisoned baiting is more common that I would have ever imagined.
Just a guess - the woods leading up to the big game season, especially near tracts of land owned or leased to hunting clubs might be areas to avoid.

Not intending to drift but isn't this poisoning illegal? Did you happen to notify the local F & G?

Mixed responses from DEC, and conservation officers. They range from 'I'm not sure', 'depends', to 'I think so'. I've been told that regulations on eliminating coyotes which are harassing wildlife doesn't limit what is allowed.
I'm trying to determine what the laws allow, and if not already forbidden, speak with legislators about introducing a bill banning the practice.
And none of this addresses what the feds permit or ban.

Man thats terrible, I had know idea that poison was used in this way. AS an off and on hunter and an outdoorsman, I cant wrap my head around the idea of leaving poison for anything. How do you know you will poison what your after? That should be illeagal if it isnt now. MY dog does grab alot of stuff and while I try to get it all, I fail in some cases as he knows Im coming for it. Where I walk, my dog finds alot of trash and believe it or not alot of chicken wing bones. He ate a very large bone recently but it seem to pass ok. I like the idea of the Peroxcide as a remedy, how do administer it? just pour it down?

If you have to administer hydrogen peroxide, it is easiest to do with a plastic syringe - you can pick one up from the vet and they are small and light so if you have H2O2 with you, you might as well carry the syringe as well. I believe 1-2 teaspoons is what was recommended for our beagle mix when we thought she had gotten into some antifreeze, and it worked quite well. The syringe forced her to swallow it. Do it 1 teaspoon at a time and wait a minute or two for results before giving the next teaspoon. (It may have been Tablespoons, not teaspoons - don't quote me on the amount.)

It was so very sad reading this story, and I'm sorry it happened to you; I can't imagine what it must have felt like to go through that, or to remember it afterwards. Thank you for warning us.

Last edited:
Wow...sorry to hear about your loss. I can only imagine how you feel...especially when it's unexpected. The new pup will bring about a new series of adventures for you.

My heart is broken for you and the rest of Bookah's family. My deepest sympathies to all of you.

Thanks for the warning, I'll add hp to my list of doggie first aid gear.

(I had to give hydrogen peroxide to our first dog, Griffin, after she got into some rat poison in the basement of the place we were renting. At the vet's suggestion, I just pulled out the corner of her mouth and poured it in. Some of it spilled, and she had racing stripes down the side of her muzzle for awhile, but it did the job)

I'm really sorry to hear about Bookah. Just a terrible, terrible day.

While we're warning people, do be aware of traps, and know how to open them. A local had a dog caught recently but fortunately had just watched a video on springing traps and the dog is okay. The video is linked from the bottom of the news post.

I had put off reading this thread, knowing that so many of us would be expressing our sorrow. The story was disturbing on many fronts, but I'm glad that I did read it, and I am going to share the advice I learned here with my son for his pal, Penny. Thank you.

I am so sorry you had to go through this, but as someone who hikes with their dogs I am appreciative that you posted this. I had no idea.

Just a quick note on 3% hydrogen peroxide - if you plan to carry some with you, make sure that it's from a reasonably fresh bottle. Once a bottle is open and air gets in, hydrogen peroxide will degrade over the next few weeks losing its effectiveness.

Following Tim's suggestion, stopped by Toby's vet this morning. Her vet brought out 2 large, plastic syringes with ml markings.
She said 1ml for every pound of dog weight and that the dosage can be administered a second time, 10 min later if the first doesn't work.
Regardless of your dog's weight, do not administer more than 50ml in either dose.
I didn't realize hydrogen peroxide loses it's effectiveness when opened. Can you purchase in small sizes?

Alan