Winter hiking boot rentals….

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyplace between RI and Bretton Woods that rents Winter hiking boots? I'm hiking up Crawford's to Pierce in the beginning of March and a few folks I'm going with need boots. Thanks!

Does anyone know of anyplace between RI and Bretton Woods that rents Winter hiking boots? I'm hiking up Crawford's to Pierce in the beginning of March and a few folks I'm going with need boots. Thanks!

I used to rent from EMS, but they changed ownership; lots of policy changes and I believe awhile before that they stopped rentign gear, but dont quote me on it. regardless, it sounds like you'll want to make sure everyone is sized for and wears at least 2 pairs of socks to minimize collateral damage of an impromptu boot assignment. may save you from some "blistering" impediments and some frown factor on a gorgeous day.

I used to rent from EMS, but they changed ownership; lots of policy changes and I believe awhile before that they stopped rentign gear, but dont quote me on it. regardless, it sounds like you'll want to make sure everyone is sized for and wears at least 2 pairs of socks to minimize collateral damage of an impromptu boot assignment. may save you from some "blistering" impediments and some frown factor on a gorgeous day.
Not only policy changes, changes in employee moral too. I have been a life long ems customer saddened to see the changes since new ownership took over. Nothing worse then some mean young trustafarian biting off your head when you are spending more than hundred bucks. Try I.M.E., its most likely your best bet. I would also question if double boots are needed for a hike up Pierce? With their stiff feel, double boots might do more harm then good. If its that cold then maybe wait for another day. I would guess someone who does not own winter boots is not going to enjoy very,very cold weather anyways. Best of luck, hope your friends have fun in our playground!

Last edited:
EMS still has boot rentals in the North Conway store, but I think that's the only one in the area that does. Lots of the other EMS stores have snowshoes, skis, tents, etc for rent.

Not only policy changes, changes in employee moral too. I have been a life long ems customer saddened to see the changes since new ownership took over. Nothing worse then some mean young trustafarian biting off your head when you are spending more than hundred bucks. Try I.M.E., its most likely your best bet. I would also question if double boots are needed for a hike up Pierce? With their stiff feel, double boots might do more harm then good. If its that cold then maybe wait for another day. I would guess someone who does not own winter boots is not going to enjoy very,very cold weather anyways. Best of luck, hope your friends have fun in our playground!

I didn't want to say it, but since he said it allready.....I, 150 percent agree with him.

Bumping this thread -

Anyone know of a place that will rent boots in Southern NH? I'm in Amherst, and looking to take an AMC intro to ice climbing course in February, but need boots that accept step-in crampons. As far as I can tell only places that rent are up north (IME, etc..), and this class is taking place S. NH.

I just talked to Rick at IME. He has a lot of winter boots to rent as well as crampons. The boots are 25 bucks a day, 35 for two days and if you need crampons he has them to for an additional 10 bucks. He said he has 100 pair, so don't worry about getting some.

Try the MIT outing club. You need to be an MITOC member (cheap), but you don't need to be affiliated w/ MIT. Might be slightly quicker than going all the way up to N Conway, anyway. Looks like plastic boots are $6/day (and that's day of USE, amazingly). A friend of mine has rented from them several times, but not boots.

Back to SherpaWill's question: Consider staying at the AMC Highland Center Lodge at Crawford's. Very popular is their dinner/stay/breakfast offering. And if you're guests there, they'll outfit you for free, SLI boots (all you need for Pierce) included -- along with whatever other gear you may need. After a comfy sleep and energizing breakfast, you can begin your Crawford Path/Mt. Pierce hike simply by crossing the street.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/highland/gear-inventory.cfm

Alex

Last edited: