Snowshoes for bigger kids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
I've done some searching online and I'm not finding quite what I want - my oldest daughter, age 7, will be outgrowing her boots next year and as a result, outgrowing her snowshoe bindings on her kid's LLBean Winter Walker snowshoes. I'm looking for a good snowshoe but not too expensive for her that can handle her growth over the next few years, and is good for going uphill. We did some smaller hills this year and I want the option of taking her up some smaller "mountains" (in her mind) over the next few years, so they have to have decent crampons on the bottom. Recommendations appreciated!

My kids both hike on the Tubbs "Glacier" model, in I think a 21" length. We have no complaints. My daughter has around 25 winter 4K's on them and lots of smaller hikes. She started on them when they were admittedly a little big for her -- before she turned 5 -- but by the end of 1st grade she was very comfortable on them for hikes like Mt. Abe, Mt. Field, Carter Notch, etc. At 10 years old and weight in the mid 80's she's still very happy with them. Traction is not quite what you'd get with the most aggressive mountaineering models, but she bounced up & over the Hancocks on them last weekend without a hitch, so it's certainly adequate.

Last edited: