Webster/Jackson and Webster Cliff between Jackson and Pierce...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
Does anyone know if crampons and an axe are necessary on the upper sections of Webster/Jackson below the summit of Jackson? Also, is the Webster Cliff Trail between Jackson and Mizpah usually tracked out this time of year? Thanks.

I did this loop early May last year - here are my observations. Jackson's cone would call for crampons, on the upper 50 feet of elevation, the ledgy part, if it were a sheet of ice. I'd check trail conditions reports, but I expect most of the time this would not be the case. Same would be true for the descent off the north slope, which because it faces north, of course, would hold ice longer than the west slope up which you ascend via the Webster-Jackson Trail, Jackson branch. The first part of that western climb up the cone is also quite tricky, but there's lots of rocks, roots trees, etc., to grab onto and for foot and TP placement, so negotiable.

The A.T./WCT to Mizpah had a well-packed well-defined monorail when I did it, and I gather this is a popular winter lolipop hike, so I'd say, yes, that stretch will likely be well tracked and packed. Note, though, that if there has been recent snow, this stretch, in windy conditions, will certainly have a lot of drifting.

Bottom line - check recent trail conditions reports, but most likely, crampons and ice ax won't be needed, and WCT will likely be tracked. Smart, experienced winter mountaineers tell me, a newbie, that it's smart to bring along crampons, so I'll repeat that advice. I have yet to attempt a winter hike in the Whites, so I'm not yet the voice of experience. Hope you enjoy!

PS: There a couple of rocky, icy stretches of the Webster-Jackson trail before the major stream crossings which could be pretty challenging and icy. Might present some issues.

Last edited:
It's probable you'd want crampons or micro's on Jackson's cone although a few sunny warm days will have it melt first. A good thing to bring. While the trail does get some use in between the cut-off and Jackson, it gets less than the trails up to the peaks. More people do one or the other unlike Lafayette & Lincoln where more people do both.

Done Jackson a few times in winter conditions and would agree with previous posts.

I came in from Pierce to Jackson the first time I did it and the ledges coming up to the cone had major, thick ice flows that I found uncomfortable even with microspikes. There was one particular section that had very little to grab on to and was quite steep (but short). Crampons would have been welcome there. Axe may have been helpful too (I didn't have either that day and would not have wanted to descend that way without them - or at all for that matter). There is much more ledge to negotiate from this side. Buried in snow later in season I would expect it to be far easier to negotiate. Not sure if winds keep this area bare or not.

The more popular Webster Jackson Trail section approaching the cone from the West I found to be pretty straightforward both times I did it except for one tricky ledge just before treeline and the summit. But the issue there was deep snow and trying to grab it in snowshoes as it fell off while you were trying to get a foot hold. The rock on that particular ledge was bare under the snow. I doubt you'll need an axe and I'd expect microspikes would be fine on that side. On my descent that day I just did a butt slide down it and crash landed in the snow at the bottom. Ledge is maybe 8-10' high and no more than a 45 degree angle but had a few cracks in it.

I'd have to defer to others on track between Pierce and Jackson. Only did once and it was at a lean time of "winter" (think it was late November) where it was mostly ice and shallow packed snow. From what I've read in various guides the section from Mizpah Hut to Jackson is less traveled, prone to drifting and can be hard to follow. There are some spectacular views in this section though, particularly in an open section of swampy fields just before reaching the cone of Jackson. You cross these on log bridges normally but I assume that section freezes solid and is covered in snow most of the winter. It was exposed when I did it.

Pierce_Jackson_DSCN1738_0083.jpg
Pierce_Jackson_DSCN1739_0084.jpg

Found a few pictures of that "uncomfortable ledge" I mentioned coming from Pierce to Jackson (the first picture). It was 11/23/12 when I did so I expect there will be way more snow in this area an it wouldn't be nearly as awkward.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've talked it over with the group and we'll probably end up doing Pierce and maybe Eisenhower (depending in conditions), which was the original plan. We'll see. In addition to snowshoes I'm going to use microspikes for the first time, but I'm still going to carry crampons and an axe. I'd rather carry them and not need them then not carry them and need them.

I have climbed Jackson maybe 8 times in snow and never brought crampons, although a couple times I would have put them on if I had them :)

The steep parts of the cone can be avoided by bushwhacks thru thick scrub :)

did Jackson-Pierce loop today, trail is broken between the two, may drift overnight but lots of traffic up there today. Up to Jackson, no need for an ice axe. we wore snowshoes start to finish

We did Pierce & Ike Sat and trail conditions were great. little windy approaching Ike but not bad at all.