Lend-A-Hand and Hale Brook trail winter traffic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I'm considering doing Hale as part of a Bonds - Zealand - Hale Traverse (maybe Sunday or Monday) so am looking at the Lend-A-hand and Hale Brook trails, but most of what I've seen posted for Hale in the Winter is up from the West on the Fire Wardens trail. Do the Lend-a-Hand and Hale Brook get much winter traffic? I don’t mind breaking a bit of new snow on a broken-out trail but if they don’t get much traffic I may pass on Hale. I would think with the Z hut open that they would get usage but haven’t seen many posts. Actually, as I type this, I'm thinking that rather than go down Z road that maybe I should end on the west side of Hale. But that kind of ties into another question I posted earlier about taxi service

I'm considering doing Hale as part of a Bonds - Zealand - Hale Traverse (maybe Sunday or Monday) so am looking at the Lend-A-hand and Hale Brook trails, but most of what I've seen posted for Hale in the Winter is up from the West on the Fire Wardens trail. Do the Lend-a-Hand and Hale Brook get much winter traffic? I don’t mind breaking a bit of new snow on a broken-out trail but if they don’t get much traffic I may pass on Hale. I would think with the Z hut open that they would get usage but haven’t seen many posts. Actually, as I type this, I'm thinking that rather than go down Z road that maybe I should end on the west side of Hale. But that kind of ties into another question I posted earlier about taxi service

Lend-A-Hand does see traffic up from the hut. Hale Brook does see some traffic in the winter as well. It's actually a really good sled with it's fairly constant moderate grade. It would be fun to break it on the way down if need be.

As for your route, why not go down the Fire Warden's trail and out to Rt 3? From there you can walk to civilization instead of being stuck alone on 302. Hitching on Rt 3 will get you more traffic going in the right direction too.

Snowshoes have passed by, but not enough to prevent the occasional post hole... compared with the Twinway between the hut and Zeacliff which is as hard as concrete.

Tim

Looks like things will change mid-week, Wednesday Night & Thursday. Sunday - Monday should be better as Saturday is the big hiking day of the week.

Hiking Bonds Traverse on Sunday

Marvin, I'll be hiking the traverse via Firewarden to Hale, Zealand and Bonds with a friend on Sunday. Based on f/b comments, I expect Firewarden to Hale to be broken. We are starting from the Little River Rd. parking lot at 6 am and you're welcome to join us.

Inna