New here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynthiajanuary

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member of VFTT and just want to jump in and introduce myself. My husband Bruce and I, with our hiking dogs Malachi and Stella, live in Amesbury, Massachusetts. While hiking in the White Mountains is not new to us, winter hiking is new in every way. Last Saturday we just kind of sprung to the challenge of hiking the Old Bridle Trail, didn't quite make it to Greenleaf hut because of some ominous-looking clouds leaning over Lafayette, but now are realizing we weren't as prepared as we should have been anyway. So much to learn ~ while trying to keep our enthusiasm at a simmer!

I am very happy to have found this community, and have already gotten much-needed info and tips.

Cynthia

Welcome to VFTT. There is a remarkable amount of information in prior posts and with the members here. Just ask away.
VFTT may be the longest lived internet hiking board and the General Backcountry section where you posted is THE place to get general information about anything or any place related to hiking or related activities.
My apologies for the parochialism, but the knowledge base here is exceptional.

Last Saturday we just kind of sprung to the challenge of hiking the Old Bridle Trail, didn't quite make it to Greenleaf hut because of some ominous-looking clouds leaning over Lafayette, but now are realizing we weren't as prepared as we should have been anyway.

I suspect most people have the moment. Mine was on Cabot in March a few years ago. Welcome aboard!

Great time of year to figure out what you want for gear and keep an eye out on clearance sales. Give it 4 to 8 weeks and all the winter gear goes on discount.

Welcome

Yah Lafayette was probably not the best "starter" mountain for winter hiking. Knowing when it's time to turn around is probably lesson #1 for winter hiking so it is good you recognized that. I forget who on the VFTT forum said it to me when I started asking questions but the worst situation you can be in is "to not know enough to know there are things you don't know" (or something to that effect).

I too am new to winter hiking (this is my second full year). If you want to find answers to stupid questions without having to ask I've laid the groundwork for you in many of my posts this year. :) Simply search my user name. I got a ton of excellent advice from many on this forum that has got me far further along then I thought I'd be at this point. A lot of people on this forum are seriously seasoned experts with a ton of experience. I'd be more than happy to share the perspective of a beginner for any questions you might have too. It really is way different than "regular" hiking, both in good ways and bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Sales are already in full swing. Unless you are an xs or xxl most items have already been snapped up :(

Welcome!

Tim

When you put it that way, I'm almost feeling good about the additional weight and buying XXL.

Plenty of stuff to learn and new gear to buy. Can always try out new gear and cut your teeth on smaller peaks closer to home too. Monadnock plays much like the bigger peaks, rocky top exposed to the wind, usually in winter you'll need micro-spikes or crampons. The peaks around the lake also too.

FWIW, in the last several years Lafayette, especially above the hut, has had it's share of lost hikers, rescues and fatalities. IMO, good peaks to try first have a fair amount of traffic and may be above treeline or bare up top but only for a very short amount of time. (Liberty, Garfield, Pierce, or more protected peaks like Tom, Field & Waumbek.)

It seems it was a good choice for them, much was learned. No summit, but getting over 'not summitting' early on is probably a very good thing.

Could have turned out way different if those ominous gray clouds rolled in 2 hrs later than they did and they were above treeline in the icy rocks. Maybe I read more into her comments than was there but this sounded like not enough planning, not enough gear and not enough knowledge of what the weather was for the day. Enthusiasm combined with lack of knowledge can end badly (as the many "rescue" threads on VFTT illustrate).

But point taken, invaluable to recognize when you're in over your head and despite being psyched to winter hike they were definitely smart enough to make a good call, pull in the reins and regroup.