Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
Got a 10:15 start from the Gale River Loop Rd parking lot, (not plowed out,but able to get in). Two other cars there. It was overcast and around 25 degrees. There was new snow on the ground from the previous days. It was a quick walk to the head of the Garfield trail. The trail is well defined. Looks like you could go it without snowshoes but we wore ours. There were a few flakes flying in the air but I wouldn't call it snowing. Also, very little wind for a day calling for 25 mph at base level and 40 mph at the summit. I was down to my base layer and a wind breaker before the trail head and didn't add a fleece until 3/4 of the way up. We passed two groups coming down. All but one were in snowshoes. The one guy without left some post holes but not what I would have expected. Just be carefulness stepping off the side of the trail. Even with snowshoes I sunk in pretty good a few times. We made it to the top before seeing any real wind. Really didn't feel it until we came out of the trees and it was blowing around 25/30,I would say. There was no view unless you like being in a cloud. So, a quick walk around the foundation and back into the trees. We walked to the Garfield Ridge Trail for a quick bite. There were two others there ready to hit the last .2 miles to the summit. Well our 6 mile walk back to the car was uneventful. Didn't see anyone else. Got in the truck and headed south. It was funny, because as we rounded the corner getting back onto 93, everything to the west of Cannon Mt was sunny and clear. And everything over the Franconia ridge was socked in. Once through the notch it too was beautiful.(ps. Don't get behind me in the grocery store either). A quick stop at Truants for a Longtrail and a burger. Then back home

Glad to see you made the trek! Sorry I didn't see your question about the wind on the other thread in time (saw it the next morning), but looks like it all worked out with the wind for you. As you found out, there really isn't too much wind until you get right out of the trees at the summit. The previous day's view was the same as yours, but Doug is right, if you haven't been up there on a clear day, the views are great. (Not sure if you have!)

Nice report, and too bad about the clouds. Garfield has one of the best views in the Whites- the entire Pemigewasset crater (the Franconia and Twin Ranges, which used to make up a volcano in prehistoric times) is visible, as are places such as the Presidentials and Scar Ridge/Mount Osceola. Definitely worth going back.