What to Expect 1st week of April in Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
Being so far removed these days from the area (Now in Pittsburgh) its hard to keep tabs on the conditions in the Catskills. How much snow is left? I would imagine 2 weeks from now the trailheads and parking areas will be clear. Water crossings high? Icy cliffs above 3000'? A good description of current weather trends and trail conditions would sure help me plan. Your first hand experiences would be great.

I am trying to determine what type of gear to bring for a bushwack off Moon Haw. Crampons, insteps crampons, snowshoes, etc. Like everyone else I am trying to eliminate carrying any unnecessary gear. I imagine crampons may be needed for the ledges on BC and Friday but if I'm able to find the correct shutes then perhaps snowshoes are enough. Either way, from the reports I am reading, there is still several weeks worth of snow in the higher elevations.

My plan is bear boots from trailhead, test the first 10 feet of snow, if the temps are up throw on the snowshoes.

This differs greatly from here in Western PA where there is no snow even at 3000'.

I would monitor the conditions, bring everything to the trailhead, and decide from there.

No one wants to carry unnecessary gear, but no one wants to NOT carry necessary gear they should have brought.