Where to go?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
I probably won't make it out till late next week. Any suggestions? I know I want to do King Ravine this summer. I won't be trying to summit from there or anything, but, maybe hike up and around the approach. What do you think? Remember, this is my first year winter hiking. So, I don't want it to end. Just like to gain as much experience as I can.
Mike Z

For your first year, I'd look at enjoying the well traveled spots more &/or places you've been to in the summer and fall.

You know yourself better than we do, will you be able to just spend time on the floor or the ravine? I'm not sure how much traffic is in there, we usually here more about summit trips on trail condition sites. While less common, they do get avalanches in KR, so you need to be aware of where you are.

There still should be a fair number of hikers but early Spring usually is not as busy as late winter and people getting in their last winter peaks. For the list driven, April 2nd and June 12th are both Spring so less people feel the call of the monorail and rotting snow and higher stream crossings.

You could take Valley Way to Madison Hut (a heavily traveled and sheltered route) on a decent day and then take the Air Line Cut Off to the edge of the Ravine and take a peek inside at everything (and by "edge" I mean the vicinity - use extreme caution depending on the conditions).

Another good vantage point would be if you took the route to Gray Knob shelter (I'm not in front of my maps at the moment so I forget the combination of trails but this is a common winter stop so it should provide a relatively safe and sheltered track into the area). I took the Spur Path down through this area back in late November scouting for the Ravine myself this summer and there are some nice outlooks into the Ravine - particularly Knights Castle (a short .1 mile spur path to the edge of the Ravine - again use extreme caution). There were some river crossings toward the lower part of the trail though so ice and river crossing issues may make this a bad choice at this time of year depending on the trail combination you use. (If I remember right a lot of people take Lowes Path and then there is a cut over to the shelter just as you reach treeline. This route is another relatively safe option).

These would be two of the safer routes to check out the geography of King Ravine at this time of year from the top of the ravine without the risk of less traveled routes to the floor and the possibility of avalanches. Of course, the usual disclaimer that conditions could vary dramatically. You should be able to monitor both of these areas on New England Trail Conditions because of their popularity. And while most of the route is sheltered on these trails there are sections above treeline. You mentioned you want to gain more experience in winter conditions so I don't know whether you've been above treeline for extended periods yet, walked with crampons, etc, etc. With a lot of really firm snow or ice a fall well away from the rim of the Ravine could lead to a very lengthy and dangerous slide that finds you at or over the edge.

Personally, I'd try to temper your enthusiasm until later in the Spring when there is a lot more bare rock and dirt to get near the edge and really check out the Ravine, especially if you haven't done any above treeline stuff in winter conditions yet. The Airline Trail is an awesome walk up the side of the Ravine with a narrow ridge area and excellent views into and across the Ravine. As conditions improve you may want to add this to your "recon list" for the Ravine until the dry summer weather arrives. I have King Ravine on my to-do list as well for this summer so I know where you're coming from. I was on a "ravine kick" last summer/fall and King Ravine was the last one on my list before the conditions deteriorated.

I probably won't make it out till late next week. Any suggestions? I know I want to do King Ravine this summer. I won't be trying to summit from there or anything, but, maybe hike up and around the approach. What do you think? Remember, this is my first year winter hiking.

Are you asking if you should hike up to the floor of King Ravine and just walk around? If so, the answer is definitely no. It is dangerous avalanche terrain which even experienced winter hikers should avoid unless they have a very solid understanding of avalanche safety.

Another good vantage point would be if you took the route to Gray Knob shelter (I'm not in front of my maps at the moment so I forget the combination of trails but this is a common winter stop so it should provide a relatively safe and sheltered track into the area).

I was going over the maps tonight for hikes I want to do this summer and realized I was talking about Crag Camp along the ravine, not Gray Knob. That's what I get for going from memory. FYI.

Agree with checking out Crag Camp and Knight's Castle...the viewpoint is .2 from the camp...you can get to it from Appalachia parking by taking the Link, to Amphibrach, and then the Spur Trail (near the five way jct. called the Pentadoi). Crag Camp is a popular destination in winter so those trails should be traveled and hopefully in good shape for you. I m sure you research your hikes and will see there is a brook crossing or two in the trail descriptions (and map) in the White Mountain Guidebook...I have not checked any other hiking sites yet to see if there are any reports on those trails...also if time allowed you could go over and check out Gray Knob cabin and head back down via the Hincks Trail, but of course trail conditions should be your kicker for decision time......

Ravines are proboly one of the most dangerous places in the spring, all that snow on the walls? it will either run-off or fall off ie. Avalanche. Given your experience stick to the ridgelines so your not in Avy paths at all. Places you could go, how about the hut in Tucks? thats safe. The ridges on Adams are safer, but can be exposed to the weather.