Snowshoers 1 Bare Booters 0

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Came across this comment in a trail report on NETC. Not sure if it was true or exaggerated but it made me chuckle:

"The weather was better than we expected in the afternoon after our blue sky morning run up Waumbek. And we were happy for balmy temps in the 20's at the trailhead. The trail was well packed until 1/4 mile from the summit at the last ledge and then we broke trail to the summit. Looked like whoever was there this weekend almost made it to the summit. Thanks for your efforts. No traffic on Carter-Moriah heading south from the ridge junction. There was traffic coming up Carter-Moriah from the north. When on the ridge I heard a faint cry for help. After stopping and listening carefully I looked down and saw a face deep down in a posthole. Apparently that bare-booter sank further than he expected. I was tempted to walk away but his pitiful pleadings persuaded me to help and I lifted him out. I did give him a lecture about the necessity to wear snowshoes to shape and maintain the trail. Hopefully he learned a lesson and will tell his friends."

Daytrip, this is not to you but to the OP on NETC:

I'd call it a spruce trap, and it happens to people on snowshoes as well. And not to stop and help someone - borders on criminal. How would you feel if you learned about a man whose body melted out of the snow a few months later?

But yeah, the lecture would be ok! :D

And what's up with the apparent Waumbek-Carter-Moriah traverse? :rolleyes:

Yah I think the guy was indirectly boasting that he did two hikes in one day. I don't think he really intended to leave the guy. I read heavy sarcasm into that line. Just the image of someone looking up out of a hole like that must have been strange indeed. That ridge is known for extremely deep snow isn't it?

There was another trip report about that ridge with a guy who was complaining about the tree branches in his face and what a better walk it would be if everyone who hiked it cut down a few branches. Yikes!! Leave No Trace is apparently not a very well known philosophy outside the VFTT.....

Last edited:
Came across this comment in a trail report on NETC. Not sure if it was true or exaggerated but it made me chuckle:

"I was tempted to walk away but his pitiful pleadings persuaded me to help and I lifted him out."

My first winter in the Adirondacks there were "Wanted" posters in the area for a college student that had gone missing. They found his body in the Spring.
That same trip a leader (about 6'5") stepped off the packed trail in the saddle below Marcy summit to pee and went straight in up to his shoulders and needed us to pull him out.
A couple snow boarders suffocated a few years ago after getting stuck in Spruce Traps coming off Marcy.

It's not difficult to do and may have nothing to do with snowshoes. It's also easy to panic and exhaust yourself trying to get out.

There was another trip report about that ridge with a guy who was complaining about the tree branches in his face and what a better walk it would be if everyone who hiked it cut down a few branches. Yikes!! Leave No Trace is apparently not a very well known philosophy outside the VFTT.....

Don't forget that right now there is a pretty good snowpack. Those branches that are in people's faces now, most likely won't be come summer when the snow is gone. In fact, they likely may be high enough that the trail maintainers wouldn't even consider them for pruning, unless their specific trail corridor specs calls for a higher corridor height.

I saw the report and thought he may be referring to his dog? Seemed odd to me to say he found someone just stuck, face down in the snow.

The whole story sounds hilarious to me, and I congratulate its author on a fine piece of writing. I just wish it had been held for three more days before publication on Tuesday ...

I always appreciate good fiction and especially sarcastic mockery. To me, it would have been more believable if the ascent and descent routes were on the same mountain. I suppose that's part of the fiction. After saving the evil barebooter's barely worthwhile life, our protaganist magically teleports from Waumbek's summit to the Carter Moriah Range to descend from the ridge.

Redline THAT route. :)

I've fallen in a spruce trap on the Carter Ridge. The first thing my friends did, was laugh! Then they took pictures. Then they helped me out. Some friends! :D

I've fallen in a spruce trap on the Carter Ridge. The first thing my friends did, was laugh! Then they took pictures. Then they helped me out. Some friends! :D

That's the correct protocol. Have fallen into a spruce trap in that range myself. I got fairly stuck on the Engine Hill bushwhack this year although it was a rill underneath rather than a spruce.

Tim

Last edited:
That's the correct protocol. Have fallen into a spruce trap in that range myself. I got fairly stuck on the Engine Hill bushwhack this year although it was a rill underneath rather than a spruce.

Tim

Zealand has nearly been my final resting place.

Fell into 2 especially nasty ones yesterday heading from South to North Baldface .... Considered cutting off my leg with my pruning saw .... Went with taking off the stuck snowshoe and then removing my leg from the hole instead .... It was a 50/50 deliberation ..... :D

My personal experience:

Barebooting: more than one occasion, I've stopped at the hip, unable to feel the bottom but stopped.

Wearing snowshoes: Chest deep

Main difference, the hip deep I remember most was mid-may high on Carrigain in a year with lots of late snow. The snowshoes allowed me to wander off trail on Field until I was in an area of young spruce. One could make the argument that snowshoes allowed me off trail. Without them, I would have repeatedly postholed when I left the monorail & likely would have stopped my off-trail wandering. (was 1st day of Spring)

So stupid question (from my seemingly endless supply of stupid questions): what is the "proper" way to get out of one of those bad boys? I always thought people carried pruning saws for a fire making emergency but I'm guessing it is to cut branches when within a spruce trap? I'd imagine taking off snowshoes under those circumstances is tricky business. Is there a wrong way to attempt escape that will make you only sink further into the snow and branches and make the problem worse? I hike alone so I'd be in a predicament if I was the guy looking out of the peephole in hopes of seeing another hiker.

And I guess as an obvious follow up question: can anyone recommend a good pruning saw for carrying in a jacket pocket for quick access?

So stupid question (from my seemingly endless supply of stupid questions): what is the "proper" way to get out of one of those bad boys? I always thought people carried pruning saws for a fire making emergency but I'm guessing it is to cut branches when within a spruce trap? I'd imagine taking off snowshoes under those circumstances is tricky business. Is there a wrong way to attempt escape that will make you only sink further into the snow and branches and make the problem worse? I hike alone so I'd be in a predicament if I was the guy looking out of the peephole in hopes of seeing another hiker.

And I guess as an obvious follow up question: can anyone recommend a good pruning saw for carrying in a jacket pocket for quick access?

Getting out:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?1813-Spruce-trap-How-to-escape-one&highlight=Spruce+trap

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?33994-Fatality-from-falling-in-spruce-traps&highlight=Spruce+Trap

If you prefer to stay in however, spruce trap as shelter:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?20254-spruce-trap-snow-shelter&highlight=Spruce+trap

There was a recent thread too I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links guys. Some good info.

When someone in your group fall into a spruce trap, or you come across someone who has, here is the non-official protocol for Spruce Trap Etiquette:

- Everybody relax. The poor victim may have snowshoes and a pack on, is partially buried in snow and possibly tangled in branches. He/she isn't going anywhere.
- Everybody take out their camera and preserve the moment in pictures.
- Look around for any other hikers who may be nearby, and call them over so they can partake in the festivities as well.
- If you have cell coverage, take another picture with your phone, upload the picture to facebook, and/or send it to everyone you know. Shame should be shared.
- Put cameras and phone away, and release all that has taken you to suppress your laughter- then laugh uncontrollably for as long as needed.
- Have a snack and something warm to drink. All this merriment has required a lot of calories, and you must eat and hydrate.
- Bathroom break for those who need it.
- Adjust layering as necessary to remain comfortable. Winter hiking is all about layering, you know.
- Extract the victim from the snowy abyss, being careful not to become a victim yourself.
- If the victim wasn't wearing snowshoes, then provide 15-20 minutes of semi-respectful verbal abuse.

it's that simple!

Petch